Science question: Are there alternative methods of diverting ant paths away from A to B using food?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
My room is infested with ants crawling from my window to the trash bin that is sitting underneath my desk. I came up with a hypothesis that if you were to provide a food source that is easier for the ants to obtain outside of the window (on the patio), the ants may divert their attention from my trash bin to the new food source outside.

I tested my hypothesis by dumping cookie crumbles outside of the window. An hour later, I see ants moving about near the crumbles, but I still see ants moving around looking for my trash bin, here and there, scattering near where their old path was used to be.

Are there any alternatives to divert ants away from a food source (my trash bin, and yes, I have cleaned it up, thank you.) to another food source without having them split up and look for both of them at the same time?

Has anyone ever done this experiment before?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
That isn't the issue; the ants have a way to get into your house. That is the issue. They will get in there to look for food regardless of if there is any outside. They'll just take what's outside then come get what's inside.

You need to seal your house off; from what you just described it sounds like a hole somewhere in your wall. Go get some calk and fill it in.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I meant this. Ants go through the windowsill.

And yes, I know that's dirt and sand, we just had a typhoon, so some places are still dirty.

Attachments

• IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    531.8 KB · Views: 447

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
You could draw a chalk line or something so that the ants won't cross it.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
You could draw a chalk line or something so that the ants won't cross it.
Did that using baking soda (#2 in Nark's article), now I'm worrying that's going to cause excess damage to my aluminum windowsills. fml.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Better idea. Set your house on fire. I bet with you that no ant will come in.

Varine

Reaction score
So there is still a hole that needs to be filled in. I don't see why you are having so much difficulty with this.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
They are used for draining excess water whenever there is rain and water we use to wash our windows with. It is a necessity.

However, the ants go through the spacing of the base (threshold area) and the window pane, not through the hole you see on the side.

Varine

Reaction score
They are used for draining excess water whenever there is rain and water we use to wash our windows with. It is a necessity.

However, the ants go through the spacing of the base (threshold area) and the window pane, not through the hole you see on the side.

That just tells me that the entire window is fucked up and needs to be replaced. Seal the holes; it's not a necessity as you can with relative ease just dry an excess from washing windows and you shouldn't be getting water inside to begin with.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem: Can't replace it. No money to replace all of the windows. We're really poor. :(

On related topic, found out that the only possible way I can think up in order to divert the ants completely is to buy a poison candy, chop it to small crumbles so that ants can be able to carry them home, and wait for the queen ant to eat the poison.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.