World Scientists ‘incredibly concerned’ for fate of banana as plagues and fungus infections spread across

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
The world’s supply of bananas is under threat from plagues of bugs and fungal infections which could be disastrous if they continue to spread, researchers say.

The government in Costa Rica, one of the biggest suppliers of the fruit, has already declared a “national emergency” over the state of its crop.

The country’s half-a-billion-dollar banana export industry has been hit by two separate plagues of mealybugs and scale insects, with up to 20 per cent of its produce written off.

Magda Gonzalez, the director of the agriculture ministry’s State Phytosanitary Services (SFE), told The Tico Times last week that climate change had boosted insect populations in recent years, making plagues increasingly likely across the world.

“I can tell you with near certainty that climate change is behind these pests,” she said. The insects weaken plants and cause blemishes on fruit, leading to vast batches being rejected. Ms Gonzalez said there were serious concerns the country would not meet its export agreements.

Meanwhile, a Scientific American report warned of a variant of banana-eating fungus which is currently threatening key plantations around the world.

Read more.

I like bananas :( And bananas recently just haven't seemed to be healthy as usual. Scary thought that it's spreading.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah. I like bananas too. Too sad they dont grow over here, just cant get any.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.