Sci/Tech Scientists break speed of light

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
This is a huge scientific breakthrough. Breaking the speed of light is something many scientists have only dreamed of, and now it's finally true. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Well, light takes about 8 minutes to travel from Sun to Earth and 5.5 hours to travel to Pluto.

I remember reading that a while back and thought it was pretty cool. The sun we look at is actually the sun 8 minutes ago, like we're looking into the past.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Keep in mind everyone that this is a very small particle that moved that fast, so we won't be traveling that fast through space anytime soon >.>

However, if and when we reach that point in technology, traveling from planet to planet or solar system to solar system will actually make humans age faster, because if you travel at the speed of light, everything around you slows down (all a hypothesis to scientists, mostly accepted). So, if we travel to another galaxy, 10 years may pass when we arive to whatever location, but we aged twice as fast. Wouldn't that suck to be older than your mom n dad? :p

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I remember reading that a while back and thought it was pretty cool. The sun we look at is actually the sun 8 minutes ago, like we're looking into the past.

Speaking of which..
It's funny how people can (or could, mostly in medieval times) claim to see ones future in the stars.
Considering these stars might be dead over 100 years ago..

I heard of some other experiment where they tried to freeze light or something, making it stop. Apparently this was also a breakthrough, but did anything good come from it?

Ah well, I'm still hoping for super fast broadband in the next 5 years. :p

V

VG Emblem

Keep in mind everyone that this is a very small particle that moved that fast, so we won't be traveling that fast through space anytime soon >.>

However, if and when we reach that point in technology, traveling from planet to planet or solar system to solar system will actually make humans age faster, because if you travel at the speed of light, everything around you slows down (all a hypothesis to scientists, mostly accepted). So, if we travel to another galaxy, 10 years may pass when we arive to whatever location, but we aged twice as fast. Wouldn't that suck to be older than your mom n dad? :p
Um, no. The faster you travel, the slower you age. In theory, you would age slower because you're moving closer to the speed of light, meaning the path of light starts getting distorted, making time move slower for you, while it continues normally for everyone else. It's a rather primitive form of "time travel," although I myself do not consider it to be so.

This breakthrough slightly scares me. Yes, it might allow for advancements in science, but do we REALLY want to open that can of worms? Something like this can seriously cause distortions in space-time if it is something that doesn't occur naturally (and it doesn't as far as we know). Maybe I'm just paranoid...

Cordel

Reaction score
This entire experiment is an exploit of constructive wave interference.
The beam did not travel faster then the speed of light.
A breakthrough of this magnitude would ripple through the scientific world
like a tsnaumi. Universities around the world confirm this, and the laws of relativity and quatum theory would be rewritten.

This is the internet. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
This entire experiment is an exploit of constructive wave interference.
The beam did not travel faster then the speed of light.
A breakthrough of this magnitude would ripple through the scientific world
like a tsnaumi. Universities around the world confirm this, and the laws of relativity and quatum theory would be rewritten.

This is the internet. Maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read.

He is correct :p

If any of you frequent slashdot, they hacked this unbreakthrough apart in terms of cheating. As I basically saw it lay down, it was like timing a bunch of dominoes to fall at different times so the wave would "finish before it appeared". In laymen relative frame, it looks like it's going faster than the speed of light, but you really don't know, because you've never gone faster than the speed of light so you don't -know- if that's what is supposed to happen.

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
This breakthrough slightly scares me. Yes, it might allow for advancements in science, but do we REALLY want to open that can of worms? Something like this can seriously cause distortions in space-time if it is something that doesn't occur naturally (and it doesn't as far as we know). Maybe I'm just paranoid...

I'm not saying that you are wrong or anything, because I don't know what is right or wrong, but.
To me it feels like travels has nothing to do with time.
The time moves in a certain direction in a certain speed, and you can't slow it up or speed it down, not by "running faster", at least.

I've heard stories about people who go into space, and how they age much slower than we do on earth. -These stories sounds ridiculous to me.
Why would the time act different in space than here on earth? (I believe the answer to that question is: "It doesn't.")

But then again, I might be wrong. :p

M

mithrantir6

actually, you are indeed wrong Exide, and your mistake is here

The time moves in a certain direction in a certain speed, and you can't slow it up or speed it down, not by "running faster", at least.

here's your mistake. neuton (and common logic) stated that time is a constant, not a variable, but what einstein proved was indeed that time doesnt go in a certain speed for everyone. and thats why when speeds go near the speed of light strange things happen

for example if you are on a train moving with 40km/hour and you move in the direction of the train with 8 km/hour your total speed is 48km/hour (your speed+ train speed)

if a light beam leaves from the train with 300.000km/sec, it should normally move with 300.000km/sec+40km/hour (speed of light+speed of train). that's because nothing can go with a greater speed than lights'

this is also why noone can make a perfect clock which doesnt need to be configured every now and then

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.