Sci/Tech Scientists kill world's oldest creature

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
World's oldest creature is revealed to be 507-year-old shellfish called Ming – until scientists KILLED it by opening it up to check its age

It had already been confirmed as the oldest animal that ever lived. But scientists who accidentally killed Ming the Mollusc, a deep sea clam dredged from the North Atlantic, have now discovered it was 100 years older than previously thought.

Following painstaking analysis, experts from Bangor University reckon the animal was born in 1499, making it 507 when it was found.

article-2505155-1962338100000578-899_634x397.jpg

This is the only picture of Ming, believed to be the world's oldest animal at 507 years old. Not knowing the long life of the mollusc, researchers at Bangor University opened its shell for analysis, killing Ming in the process

Read Moar Here.

Damn murderer!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I heared the oldest living creature is a sponge somewhere in the philippines or something. That sponge is allegedly several thousand years old.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That must have sucked for the dumb ass scientists that did this when they heard that small sucking sound of ancient life dying.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's a little too late for it! Don't you think so?

Not really, it seems pretty mundane to me. It's old? So what, it was going to die anyway, it's not like clams live a very exciting life. There is nothing that has been lessened or gained by it dying or living.

BlueMirage

Trust, but doubt.
Reaction score
It's still life, and life should be valued over everything else, for organisms only have one life that it shall live.
Bacteria are also alive, loads and loads of millions of them. When we cure people of disease, we're actually killing bacteria inside them. Taking your statement literally, all life has value and therefore we should not kill bacteria.

However, bacteria cannot think. It doesn't think that it doesn't want to die, and it is indifferent to whether it dies or not. It's optimized through evolution to survive and reproduce, but that doesn't mean that it has a 'want' to live. Therefore, the life of bacteria is not valuable.

Life is not precious. Intelligent life is precious. Clams are not included in that subset.

FireCat

Reaction score
Bacteria are also alive, loads and loads of millions of them.
Will bacteria ever became extinct? Well. they reproduce much more faster and efficiently than any plant or animal.

So Varine They might not live a very exciting life. "But they are part of the nature same as you"

Mabaet

Reaction score
This kind of news are for the feelers, and it doesn't appeal to me.
There's like more creatures much older than that somewhere.
And saying that scientists are dumb for killing it (Accidental or not) just makes you a fool.

Will bacteria ever became extinct?

Thousands of new type of bacteria/s are born everyday, and most of it die fast and that unique type of bacteria get extinct already. But still, yes... a bacteria as whole & general wouldn't die out XD. Just sayin'. lol.

err.. excuse mah engrihs.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
It's still life, and life should be valued over everything else, for organisms only have one life that it shall live. (

Anthrax is alive.

Will bacteria ever became extinct? Well. they reproduce much more faster and efficiently than any plant or animal.

So Varine They might not live a very exciting life. "But they are part of the nature same as you"
Do you have some expectation that I was not aware of this very basic thing and now my view is going to drastically change because I had never realized or considered how nature works? Why is this specific one more special than the millions of clams that are caught and killed every year to you?

"I don't agree" they kill everyone in sight. And that's wrong.. Just saying

They didn't kill you. But based on your skewed view of any scientific venture, my guess is they tried. I'm guessing it was when you got out of the test tubes.

FireCat

Reaction score
Why is this specific one more special than the millions of clams that are caught and killed every year to you? .
Hehe Anyway, average, nothing more, nothing less special than the other clams. But every time they find something, they need to kill it. "True Facts!"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.