Scope initializers stopped working

dudeim

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm currently sitting with the problem that scope initializers do not work anymore, so all my spells which use scope initializers do not trigger nor does most (if not all) of the other scope initializers.
If I do something like this nothing shows:
JASS:
scope bla initializer blas

private function blas takes nothing returns nothing
call BJDebugMsg("YEPERDEPEPER")
endfunction
endscope

So anyone knows why they stopped working? Can it be I have too many lines of script in my map ( I don't know how many I got but I sure got alot of them)?
Note: library initializers are working just fine so are struct ones

Thanks

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Library and struct initializers are executed, whilst scope initialisers are simply called. You've probably hit the op. limit in a scope initializer somewhere.
Do you have any big loops in any scope initializers? Do you have anything else that might be crashing the thread (integer i; i = i + 1 and the sorts)?

dudeim

Reaction score
hmmm don't know will check when I have WE open again thanks for the response

Narks

Vastly intelligent whale-like being from the stars
Reaction score
probably something is crashing in the thread that fires the scope initializers

edit: wow, I am stupid, posted this late and didn't read what romek posted

Dirac

Reaction score
Is it always best to use Library Initializers? I heard tooltiperror say something like that

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Is it always best to use Library Initializers? I heard tooltiperror say something like that

Not always; it depends on what you're using them for and where order matters.

By the way, start your own thread for questions. Don't hijack.

dudeim

Reaction score
I have no loops inside the inits can it be though that function that are called (who may have loops in them) add to the OP limit?

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Yes. Functions called via any method except [ljass]ExecuteFunc[/ljass], [ljass]TriggerEvaluate[/ljass], [ljass]TriggerExecute[/ljass] and I think a couple others will add to the op count. You can also use [ljass]TriggerSleepAction[/ljass] to start a new thread (and reset op limit).

dudeim

Reaction score
Hmm I added some TSA(0)'s in a few scope init's but it still isn't working so I guess it's time for some script spitting:(

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Check for uninitialized variables.
This, and forgetting exitwhen, or bad end conditions, and registering events for like [LJASS]Player(17)[/LJASS].

>library initializiers
I find scopes bad practice, so I recommend libraries anyways.

dudeim

Reaction score
Yeah well libraries might be easier but having to let every spell require all the other libs everytime seems like useless writing.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JASS:
library Systems requires GTrigger, TimerUtils, T32, AIDS, Event, ABuff
endlibrary

Everything that is not a "system" has [LJASS]requires Systems[/LJASS]. If "requires Systems" is that hard to type for a library declaration, you're insane, or type at 5 WPM.

And I dislike what JASSHelper lets you do.

JASS:
library foo {
  function foo()
  {
    BJDebugMsg("foo");
  }
}

library bar {
  function onInit()
  {
    foo(); // should be an error, bar does not require foo, or a library that requires foo.
  }
}

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Scopes are perfectly fine for anything that doesn't have a large initializer (it doesn't execute so it's faster), and anything that doesn't export any functions. Namely spells. (Also, global booleans aren't generated for each scope.)
I'm sure everyone agrees that the drawbacks of using libraries aren't game-breaking, though they're there non-the-less, and when an alternative is available that is perfectly suited for it's job, I fail to see the point in forcing libraries.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion or coding preferences, though going as far as saying using scopes is bad practice is excessive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.