SD Drive Device for NUON - is it possible?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Without an good emulator on a CD based system and no way to get a NUON Dev kit in order for anyone to be able to do serious coding on the system would be to have some kind of SD device hooked up to a NUON of the N501 type.

Is this even possible on the NUON?

What kind of device controller chip does it have in it? Proprietary? Does the SDK say anything about it?

There is no cartridge port on any of the NUON devices but there is a CD Interface cable connection....

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yea, would need an adapter to go from ide or sata to whatever kind of connector that is inside the dvd player. I think i have a multicard reader in my desktop, I am pretty sure is ide, but having a hard time figuring out of that could be adapted to a dvd player

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
yea, would need an adapter to go from ide or sata to whatever kind of connector that is inside the dvd player. I think i have a multicard reader in my desktop, I am pretty sure is ide, but having a hard time figuring out of that could be adapted to a dvd player

You would think that if they can do it on an Atari ST, Commodore 64, Atari Jaguar and other stuff that it would be possible on NUON. I just do not think a cable converter will do it.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I just read on the NUON Wikipedia page and it says that optional hard drive is supported
  • 64~256 MB writable rom and optional hard drive (up to 137 GB)
  • Optical drive support DVD or CD-R

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
is that through the controller port? what kind of connector is that on the controller ports?

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
There was talk BITD about using the controller port to upload software, similar to how BJL worked on the Jaguar. The controller port is proprietary, using the Polyface chip mentioned which is needed for the controllers. As far as I know, no work was ever done on making such a device, just people like me trying to code on the N501 begging for a better solution that writing to CDs to test.

midnight8

Staff member
Reaction score
so, would the polyface chip be needed to route a hdd through the port?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.