Searing Arrows not bonus damage

Arberden

Reaction score
Hi,I was just wondering if it is possible to make to make a spell like searing arrows but instead of having bonus 30 damage, I want just 30 damage. Is it possible to do this?

Arberden

Reaction score
Erm, but do you still want to retain your hero base damage?

I want the base damage so that what this spell is not used or on autocast, the hero still has damage but if this spell is used it should overide the base damage leaving the spell damage

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
When the hero is ordered to autocast the searing arrows, add it to a unit group. Likewise, remove the hero from said unit group when it unautocasts. This will allow you to track if the unit is auto casting or not.

Second, you will have to use a damage detection system to detect when the hero does damage. So, when it deals damage, check if it's in the autocast group. If so, set the hp of the triggering unit (attack target) to current hp + damage dealt. Then cause the hero to deal X damage to that unit.

Arberden

Reaction score
When the hero is ordered to autocast the searing arrows, add it to a unit group. Likewise, remove the hero from said unit group when it unautocasts. This will allow you to track if the unit is auto casting or not.

Second, you will have to use a damage detection system to detect when the hero does damage. So, when it deals damage, check if it's in the autocast group. If so, set the hp of the triggering unit (attack target) to current hp + damage dealt. Then cause the hero to deal X damage to that unit.

but what if the hero does not use autocast and manually clicks

Curo

Reaction score
but what if the hero does not use autocast and manually clicks

You'll have to create another group then. Event - unit casts searing arrows, Action - add unit to group2. Then for your damage detection trigger, if damage source is in group2, do the same damage modification actions as I mentioned before, then remove it from group2. That last part is important, so that it only triggers once on a manual cast, rather than continuously like with autocast.

I use 2 different groups so it won't interfere with the autocasting part. You wouldn't want to manual cast an arrow, turn autocasting on in mid flight, then have the unit removed from your auto casting group when the damage is dealt.

The only problem I can really see with my solutions is if you turn autocast off while a projectile is in mid flight, you won't get the damage replacement. Meh, it's the best way I can think of with my tired mind atm. Had to at least give you some answer. Hope it helps.

@drol: that doesn't cover auto-cast though.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
You could always use frost arrows. Use a damage detection system to check if any unit receives damage with the frost arrow de-buff. Then, block all damage received and deal 30 damage by trigger.

Curo

Reaction score
You could always use frost arrows. Use a damage detection system to check if any unit receives damage with the frost arrow de-buff. Then, block all damage received and deal 30 damage by trigger.

That's exactly what I told him. Read the thread, lol.

@ Arberden: You can't make non-autocastable spells autocastable.

Ayanami

칼리
Reaction score
That's exactly what I told him. Read the thread, lol.

@ Arberden: You can't make non-autocastable spells autocastable.

Read carefully, it isn't the same. Mine uses buff detection, yours doesn't. Buff detection is much more reliable. Your method will fire even if the hero uses a spell to deal damage.

Curo

Reaction score
Sorry, I need to not make posts after midnight. Brain wasn't working. Yeah, buff detection...I knew there was an easier way.

Arberden

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
    • ((Triggering unit) has buff Cold Arrows (Stacking)) Equal to True
    • Actions
    • Unit - Cause (Attacking unit) to damage (Attacked unit), dealing 30.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal

This is done with another trigger that detects the buff and blocks the damage

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
If you use the event A unit is attacked, the trigger fires whenever a unit prepares to attack, not when it actually gets damaged. You should use a damage detection system for this - detect the damaging, then check to see if the unit has the buff.

EDIT: Forgot to check - Ayanami said this first.

Arberden

Reaction score
Can someone help me do this because damage detection systems are JASS and i am still learning it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.