Security and Performance Guide

Rad

Reaction score
This guide features tips and free software to help improve your computers security, performance, and customization.

Let me know if something is incorrect, or if you have any suggestions like an unlisted anti-virus program.

Chapters:

1.0 Security
  • 1.1 Anti-Virus
  • 1.2 Anti-Spyware/Adware
  • 1.3 Firewalls
  • 1.4 Web Protection

2.0 Performance
  • 2.1 File Management
  • 2.2 Startup Items
  • 2.3 Registry
  • 2.4 Drivers

3.0 Customization
  • 3.1 Themes
  • 3.2 Preferences
  • 3.3 Recommended Software

------------------- Chapter 1: Security -------------------

Note: Some links provided by Hero's Computer Protection Downloads

1.1 Anti-Virus
Description:
Virus's (or Virii) are malicious files found in your system often intended to corrupt system files, alter programs, manifest inside your computer; without your knowledge of their existence.

The most common ways to obtain a virus are through "shareware" programs on the internet, download insecure files (Especially p2p such as limewire), and through backdoors in software.

Symptoms
  • Slow Performance
  • Unstable Software/Operating System
  • Popups, Unknown software

Solution:
There are many Anti-Virus programs available on the internet and computer/office stores. Many of those available online are for free (or have a free license with limited functionality). Here is a list of some of the most popular, and reliable.
  1. AVG Anti-Virus [Free]
  2. Avast! [60-Day Evaluation]
  3. McAfee [$29.99]

1.2 Anti-Spyware/Adware
Description:
We know Virus are malicious files meant to harm the computer, but Spyware (or Adware) is intended retrieve personal information (Browsing history, emails, and even passwords). They are also a common cause of unwanted popups and advertisements.

Typically not as devastating as a virus, spyware can slow your internet speeds to a crawl (Especially DSL users) and usually come en masse.

It's not uncommon to find 20, 50, even 100 files flagged as Spyware. Don't be alarmed, many are cookies used by Google, Yahoo, and other search.

Symptoms
  • Unwanted advertisements
  • Desktop icons to trial software or "free" software
  • Two free ipod nano's

Solution:
Nobody likes being spied on, so there is a large market of Anti-Spyware software available much like anti-virus, many are free. Here is a list of my most trusted, or most popular Anti-Spyware software.
  1. Ad-Aware Free
  2. AVG Anti-Spyware Free
  3. Spybot Search and Destroy Free - Encouraged to donate
  4. Webroot Spysweeper [$29.95/yr]

1.3 Firewalls
Description:
Why try to find unwanted software thats on your computer, when you can just stop it from getting in altogether? Especially if some spyware is trying to send your credit card number back to the server, you will have one last line of defense.

Firewalls work by blocking access to the internet, many users (especially gamers) see a firewall as a neusense as they can get in the way of your own applications. But for a standard web-browsing home user, a firewall can be a lifesaver.

Always know how to use your firewall, especially Port Forwarding. Most routers, if you have one, come with one installed. You can access this through your local gateway (usually 192.168.1.1, or 2.1) - Usually listed under "Port Forwarding", "Port Triggering", "Virtual Servers". Refer to your routers manual as this guide does not cover routers.

Primary Usage
  • Stop hacker attempts
  • Prevent data retrieval
  • For routers, forwarding data to specific computers

Solution:
Detested by many users, there is a small variety of firewalls available. Many large anti-virus companies (Norton, McAfee etc) also have Firewall solutions. It's possible they come with your Anti-Virus package as well. Don't expect it with any free license versions though.
  1. Comodo [Free]
  2. ZoneAlarm [$39.95]
  3. Windows Firewall is available for basic protection

1.4 Web Protection
Description:
Sometimes you just need to know beforehand if you need higher protection. You can start by scanning your computer for free. One of the most powerful online virus-scan programs is Trend Micro:
http://us.trendmicro.com/us/home/

Be careful when trying untrusted or lesser-known online scanners. Many of these will prompt you to install their software, promising to take care of viruses while infecting your computer with their own. Stay away from the flashing "Click here to scan your PC for free!" advertisements.​

------------------- Chapter 2: Performance -------------------

2.1 File Management
Description:
We've all had a lesser tech-savvy user (ie, our parents) complain about the computer being slow - blaming it on all the icons on the desktop, in the system tray, or in the start menu.

For the most part they don't know what they are talking about. But after uninstalling and reinstalling software several times over a course of a few weeks, and even months, the files can become scattered across the harddrive read and write times. This means that larger files can be scattered across a wide range of your harddrive, having to search through large amounts of data to find pieces of the file. Usually this just adds milliseconds to your load times, but it builds up.

Solution:
We call this Disk Fragmentation. See the image below for a representation of fragmentation across disk segments. (open spoiler)
fragmentation.jpg

Windows has provided you with a Disk Defragmenting utility called "Disk Defragmenter", you can find it in Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.​

You can also get other defragmenting programs that have features like passive defrag, which defrags your computer whenever it becomes idle.

This used to be called IO Smart Defrag, but it looks like they changed it to DiskKeeper

2.2 Startup Items
Description:
A very common complaint about someones computer is how long it takes to startup. Many things come into consideration when your computer starts up, including:
  1. Custom Fonts (if you have many of them)
  2. System Services
  3. Startup Programs (Instant messengers, driver software)

Solution:
For fonts: I have seen a few cases where XP would have large delays during the XP boot screen, this is common when people have programs like Photoshop which add lots of custom fonts. Especially if you download font packs, they must all be initialized during boot up.

Note - For Services and Startup you will need to access "MSConfig", To do this:
Click "Start", "Run", type msconfig and hit ok. Check "Selective Startup" before continuing to enable the changes that you will make.

For services: Services are basically programs that are executed before you access the Welcome screen. For the most part you shouldn't mess with the services unless you really want to optimize your computer. Although this guide is outdated, it lists many of the core Windows services with recommendations to enable/disable them:
overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services/2.htm

For startup items: In the MSConfig window (listed above) click the Startup tab, this will list many files some of which you will recognize and some you wont. If you know some programs that you don't use or don't need to startup, you can freely uncheck them. If you are unsure about the program read below...
Some programs aren't worth starting up, while some aren't worth starting without. This includes things like your Mouse and Keyboard settings which come with your drivers. This also will include your video control panel. You are advised to keep these, but they are not required. In safe mode, none of these are loaded.

2.3 Registry
Description:
You're registry is where Windows and many applications store data that typically shouldn't be accessed by the user. Installation records are recorded in the registry so that later the uninstaller knows where the installation folder, start menu folder etc are located and can delete them. Games can also install the CD Keys and user settings here. Note: Editing the registry is dangerous, be sure to back anything up you plan to edit

This guide will not get into directly editing the registry, but if any software listed heres has any reference for you to do so, or if you are prompted, always take a backup. They are just short text files for the most part, but they can save alot of trouble.

Symptoms
The registry can get very lengthy and unorganized. After installing and uninstalling software many keys are left that serve no purpose. Just loose ends.

Solution
The 100% TheHelper.net Approved CCleaner [Free] is capable of cleaning and repairing the registry. This will delete all null references (Locations of files that don't exist).

Another great program is Uniblue Registry Booster 2 [$29.95], which offers the same service with option of defragmenting the registry and other optimization features.

2.4 Drivers
Description
A driver is software that controls the interface between Hardware and the Operating System. Primary hardware which needs updated and stable drivers are:

• Video Cards
  • Sound Cards (or mainboard drivers)
  • Expansion Cards (tv tuners, networking cards)

Your CPU, Ram, and optical drives do not (or should not) require drivers. You can usually find optimization software for them though.

Useful Links
ATI Graphics Cards: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html
nVidia Graphics Cards: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
Realtek Sound Cards: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
Creative Sound Cards: http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

Note: You can usually find mainboard packages at your site manufacturers website under your PC Specifications. These are usually outdated, however, so you should update the ones you can.

Note II: Sometimes the most recent driver can conflict with an application, so you may want to rollback your drivers or use Beta drivers if needed.​

------------------- Chapter 3: Customization -------------------

3.1 Themes
This thread is inspired by Grozzy's Style your theme tutorial
Description:
One of the best features of using a computer is the customization available to each piece of software. Windows XP has only a few themes to choose from, basicall you get three different recolored themes with the option to download two later releases:

There is also a nice program called Windows Blinds which allows you to use hundreds of different themes with different effects and custom shell styles (icons, folder views, cursors etc).

However, most people would rather use the free alternative using a modified version of uxtheme.dll

NOTE - TheHelper.net does not directly support nor endorse the use of any modified Windows files. Use at your own risk.

For most people, the UXTheme Multipatcher should be able to detect and modify your UXTheme.dll automatically, with the option to restore it in case something goes wrong. If this does not work for you, you can find the uxtheme.dll for your operating system here

Once you install uxtheme.dll and restart your computer, you can find new themes (Visual Styles) available for free at Deviant Art.

Find an awesome skin but it's not your favorite color? Try out Styler.​

3.2 Preferences
Description
Windows has many options to customize how you use it. These settings are not easily altered in most cases. There have been many tools that let you change how to operating Windows.
The most recognized is TweakUI, which allows you to change many settings that you would think Microsoft would have options for. This includes changing the autorun settings of different drivers, how your mouse reacts to files and folders (and all programs menu), and much more.

I know from personal experience that after owning a computer for awhile, especially a shared computer, that using the All Programs menu can become a hassle. Shortcuts can get lost in a sea of files that you don't even recognise. Luckily theres a very handy tool that lets you easily find any program listed in your start menu by typing in the name of it. It's pretty generous too, if you spell "Battlefield 2" "bf2" it can usually find that, unless something else is a better match.
It learns from what you choose and makes that have higher priority, and also has many addons.

This tool is called Launchy - And I could not live without it! Give it a try, just hit

Alt+Spacebar by default (mines CTRL+R) and type in your application, or a math problem, or a command like shutdown.

Another great tool, a great alternative to the Start menu and to the Quicklaunch - Desktop

Sidebar
. You can download many addons or just use it for shortcuts, and listing system resources, and embedding your music player. The list goes on. Customize it with different skins.​

3.3 Recommended Software
Here is a list of suggested free software to increase your windows experience. This list may include software listed above, which may have been overlooked simply due to lack of interest. If you have any suggestions please list them :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.