Selected unit position

Sjaakje

Reaction score
Hey,

I've been spending some time in the object editor looking for a string that fixes my problem, but I couldn't find one. Stats - Priority and Stats - Formation Rank both do something different.

Here's my problem:

nxs900.jpg

I've drawn red arrows to indicate where I want the icon/avatar of my unit to be. As you can see in the selected units' interface, the mur'gul is in front of the naga. I want the naga, seeing as it is a Strength hero (and the star of the campaign...) to come before the mur'gul.
With the heroes, I know whichever one is placed in the world first will come on top. But they are both preplaced inside the world, and as thus the mur'gul comes first again. My guesses are this is the same problem, and otherwise I can just fix it by placing the mur'gul in the world 0.01 second after the naga is placed.

So, anyone know the fix?

Sjaakje

Reaction score
Nope, as I said in my post I've already tried that and that doesn't work.

What Formation Rank does is change where units walk when multiple types of units have been ordered an issue to move (melee units will move in front and ranged in back).

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
as far as i remember it does also determine where the portrait appears in the selection but maybe i am wrong.

Sjaakje

Reaction score
The thing is, the melee hero already has a higher formation rank. So no that doesn't work :(

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
It seems to have to do with the order in which the units are created. So, for preplaced units, whichever you placed on the map first will appear first in the unit selection. If creating units with triggers, it is the order of their creation, eg:
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Archmage for Player 1 (Red) at (Player 1 (Red) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Blood Mage for Player 1 (Red) at (Player 1 (Red) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Mountain King for Player 1 (Red) at (Player 1 (Red) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Create 1 Paladin for Player 1 (Red) at (Player 1 (Red) start location) facing Default building facing degrees

...will create a selection with the Archmage first, Blood Mage second, Mountain King third, and Paladin fourth.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i did a little testing in an empty map with some nightelven heroes.

in the editor i placed the priesteres of the moon (pm) first and afterwards the demon hunter (dh) and tested the map. pm was first dm was the second one.
now i removed both heroes from the map and placed the dm first and the pm as the second one. dm was now the first one to appear on the left side and in selection.
now i only removed the dm and placed it again, the pm was still the same as in the first try, i tested and again dm was first pm was the second one.

i would say it has to do with the units handle ID.
if you select the unit in the editor you can see on the bottom-most toolbar an information table like this:
Code:
Selection: Demonhunter 0000
Owner: Player 1 (1, Red), Level: 1
the hero with the smaller value after its name (0000 in my example) will be shown as the first hero in both the selection and the interface icon as far as i know.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
you cant change it manually, remove the unit and place it again.

Sjaakje

Reaction score
Nope. Even though it did make the hero icons be in the correct position on the top left area of the screen, the selected units interface still doesn't do what I want.
Even though the oracle is placed AFTER the naga, how ever long I wait (I even tried ingame to place a long wait and after that create the oracle), the oracle will be left of the naga when selected.

:S

Is there seriously no way to fix this?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
i cant help you i do not encounter these problems, as i said in my above post it worked like a charm for me for both the selection and the interface buttons.

maybe it has something to do with the hero you used as base for yours, try recreating one of the two heroes with a copy of the other one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.