Sci/Tech Serious Yahoo bug discovered. Researchers rewarded with $12.50 voucher to buy corporate T-shirt

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Yahoo, it seems, just can’t do anything right when it comes to winning friends in the security industry. First, they came up with a bonkers scheme for recycling old email addresses – not apparently realising that the danger of identity theft to which it was exposing the original account holders.

Next, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer showed she didn’t even have time to tap four digits, and admitted she doesn’t bother to have even a simple security passcode on her iPhone.

And now, it’s been revealed that it takes its users’ security with such disregard that it “rewards” researchers who find vulnerabilities with a paltry $12.50 bounty… which can only be spent in Yahoo’s Company Store.

That’s what just happened to the researchers at High-Tech Bridge recently.

On Monday 23rd September, the researchers informed Yahoo’s Security Team about three cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities affecting the ecom.yahoo.com and adserver.yahoo.com domains.

Read more here.

Well, that sucks...

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
There are services/programs that will bounce your site(s) off of a bunch of different XSS approaches. I am shocked that it is still a problem on big websites.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I don't think Yahoo can afford to give any more per security issue since they have so many of those, they need to keep enough t-shirts to go around

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    As for Github, I often frequent there, boasting about my genetic algorithm for tools-assisted speedrunning and such. I'm also pretty active on Discord, with my tag @asperatology.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Yeah, the whole earthquake + air pollution combo made me completely forget about bringing updates. I'll be sure to keep on top of things after all things are less requiring my attentions.
    +2
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I am just glad that you are OK Tom! Thank you for the update!
  • Varine Varine:
    Glad to hear you're okay! I only knew about your Github cuz I tried to follow some of you when I was learning how to program, but didn't understand any of it so kind of quit paying attention to what anyone does on it
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Freaking storm outside is kicking!
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    I wouldn't know, I'm in Joliet, Illinois right now working. I left Houston area about 2 weeks ago lol
    Not permanently of course, just a temporary job.
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    Glad you're ok @tom_mai78101
  • jonas jonas:
    @Blackveiled you know another word for permanent? temporary
    +1
  • Varine Varine:
    Briefly, he'll only be there for the interim. Like a stopgap of sorts, he'll be back home in short time
  • O Old Mountain Shadow:
    Hurray! Tom has reappeared!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
    Yep. Just another fun night at work.
  • Varine Varine:
    Broke the nozzle on my 3d printer and I don't have another heater block. So... I guess I'm fucked on that this weekend
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that sucks i bet they are expensive
  • Varine Varine:
    Not really
  • Varine Varine:
    The entire hot end is like 20 dollars, I just can't get anymore until next week
  • Varine Varine:
    I ordered like five blocks for 15 dollars. They're just little aluminum blocks with holes drilled into them
  • Varine Varine:
    They are pretty much disposable. I have shitty nozzles though, and I don't think these were designed for how hot I've run them
  • Varine Varine:
    I tried to extract it but the thing is pretty stuck. Idk what else I can use this for
  • Varine Varine:
    I'll throw it into my scrap stuff box, I'm sure can be used for something
  • Varine Varine:
    I have spare parts for like, everything BUT that block lol. Oh well, I'll print this shit next week I guess. Hopefully it fits

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.