Seth Cross Writing

Rate the Sampler

• 2/5 Stars - You need a lot of work, but you're kinda on your way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Not really, I'm doing all sorts of things now so I don't have the time :D

----

I'll accept that for Jessica, but you might consider showing her character a little bit more in the beginning.

"Everyone does it" is quite a lame excuse.

A tad more real? Uh...you do know there are entire towns that DON'T curse, right? They call it Christianity...followed the right way.

Kids may swear, but let's "face it", some don't. Some don't need to. NOBODY needs to. Therefore, there is no logical reason WHY you put that in there. But alas, be like everyone else in your town, don't follow your dream, whatever.

Who do you intend to read your book? You can't make a living as an author catering only to one little town of cursing. If you're going to get the attention of much more people, find those who would gather a much more off view "She cursed", like I said.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

And everyone uses "she thought"? Not everyone speaks in double quotes, either, or explain their actions ("...!" Mr. Blah said with anger). It's a simple English rule. Follow it or not, but editors who are willing to put your book up ARE most likely going to chop off all this stuff.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Everyone does it wasn't my excuse. You're not reading right.

I'm trying to bring a bit of my reality to the book...I don't know if you understand it, but that's basically what I'm trying to do. Alexander has a crappy childhood, like I do. The people swear, just like is a natural thing in my world. It's not just MY town, either, as far as I know, it's all of NJ.

However, maybe I did do it in a bit of excess... :p THAT I'll admit, I may take a few words out. (Actually, I already know which ones, as I can imagine it working with the line.)

And hey, you just said it yourself: the fact of "everyone does it" is a lame excuse! :p Ok, I know English grammar isn't exactly interchangeable, but it's just something I like that way. That's that, so we really don't need to go back and forth with this. :)

Lastly, I don't want to sound mean or rude. I do appreciate your opinion, very much so...But the way you speak, it's as if you know how things work all too well...I'm correct in assuming you're still a "kid" (in the aspect of: you go to school, you live at home, you either don't have a job, or not a serious full-time one, yadda yadda...Teenager, basically) so I DO find it a bit hard that YOU know what it's like to make a living as an author.

Now, I don't mean that offensively. I'm not calling you stupid, or saying you're wrong. I'm just stating a fact. So keep that in mind.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I'll accept the rest of that, but about the last thing....

I'm still at home, why do you ask? :D

What I DO know and this is from READING, is that Authors DON'T make a lot of money unless they HIT IT BIG. Historians have to have side-jobs to live. That's that. Are you expecting you'll get as rich as Alexandre Dumas? Well, he was rich, until he took the wrong path in life and surrounded himself as Mr. Playboy.

No, if you want real money, become a doctor. If you want to live with a good income, be a programmer, or just basically a technician. But, Writing is as strict a subject as Athletics. You have to be very skilled and very lucky to hit it big. And as far as I'm concerned, and I don't mean to be rude, you don't fit that description, and neither do I. Hence, Writing is a hobby. It should be for you too. Don't concern yourself with Poetry and Writing when nobody might see you out. Dark poems and books only get you so much publicity, if any at all.

I'm stating a fact. It's a fact that I'm still a teenager and what not, and you are too. It's also a fact that it is very hard--near impossible--to make a living as an author.

DM Cross

Reaction score
I never said this was the only thing I do.

So again, let's avoid that topic, shall we? :D

Great!

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
*Looks at Alexander's 666 post count*

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:D

Just felt like being off-topic :)

Anyway, I might rough draft a few of my ideas and attach them here, just letting you know for later on.

DM Cross

Reaction score
ROFL, Damn, I posted again without taking a screenshot of the 666! :(

Lol! Anyway, I'll deffinately read yours (since you read mine) and I'll eventually get around to fixing those little bugs you found in my crappy typing! :p

Ty for the time.

M

Marksman

Rinpun said:
It's also a fact that it is very hard--near impossible--to make a living as an author.
Sad, but probably true. For each book you see that makes it big, hundreds more go unnoticed.

By the way Rinpun, as devout a Christian you may be, I think cursing is not an entirely bad thing for a book. It is a little shocking, but unless you are writing for young audiences, it adds a sense of realism. I don't know what happy little town you live in, but everyone swears where I live also.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Another note, about the Christian thing.

Yes, I realize that Christians don't believe in divorce. That doesn't mean they don't. People divorce all the time that are Christian, Catholic, etc. It doesn't mean they're suddenly NOT their former religion, it just means they're not as devout as everyone. Personally, I don't like divorces. I intend to get married once and only once.

Back to the swearing, since Mark brought it back up. You don't like swearing, Rin? Well, I'm ok with that. I didn't MAKE ya read the book! :p This isn't a kids book, and I never intended it to be. I know the characters swear a little too much, this is why I said I'd change a few to 'She swore/cursed under her breath', or whatever. But that doesn't mean they still won't swear. In this world, swearing's a lot more common then you think. That was my point above, but I just wasn't in the mood to make a huge fued about it! :p Anyway, that's my take on things, and as it is my book (no offense) I'm going to do it my way. Hell, if Corruption sucks, I can think about what I did wrong for Re-Birth, or Illusions, or any of the other book ideas I have in mind.

And just so you know, I'm not only an author. I'm into computer too. I do a lot of graphic arts at my school, and I also want to learn HTML. So yeah, I'm not DEPENDING on writing. As a matter of fact, when I go to college, I intend to MAJOR in computers, and MINOR in literature. Somehow, I think graphic arts is a more solid job. :p

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
It's feud, not fued. Heheh.

I DON'T live in a happy town, or a happy church, or whatever. There is one thing and that is that many books DON'T have that rapid fire cursing in them. Read Douglas Adams. Curse, but not rapid fire. Read Tolkien. No Cursing whatsoever.

In fact, C.S. Lewis's Narnia and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, got by without any cursing whatsoever. And sure, even if you're basing it on highschool life, you don't need to add in curses to get a good formula of a book.

Well that's good, I figured you wouldn't major in writing. Still, you could've told me sooner as opposed to saying your dream was to be an author... :rolleyes: :D

How graphic is your art? For computer graphics, are they going to be 3d, or are they going to be skinning a 3d object?

DM Cross

Reaction score
Damn your spelling rules! :p

Yeah, that's them, I'm me! :D So ha! Lol, in a weird mood...It's too early...

Umm, I'm not sure yet! :D But I'll figure that out eventually...Besides, this isn't the Graphic Arts thread :p

M

Marksman

Lol, bringing up that Tolkien didn't use swearing is not a valid point at all. Can you imagine what the book would be like if he did?

Ah, **** Legolas, more orcs are marching upon the hill. Will you aid me in ****ing slaying them? "**** Aragorn, you are too ****ing dramatic.

Since when has Douglas Adams been conventional?

By the way, do you think the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy movie will be any good? My brother still thinks it'll be some sort of action movie...

DM Cross

Reaction score
There's a good word for me! Unconventional! :D

Actually, I've only seen bits and peices of the commercials, and so far, I have absolutely NO clue what it's going to be about.

However, a movie I recently saw that was AWESOME! was Sin City...If you want suggestions! :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Not a valid point? Eh, you're too much Evolutionist--run away when you can't answer the question...by saying it's either invalid, pointless, proven wrong, et cetera. Tolkien wrote more books than that. And if you'll check them, he didn't use cursing!

The POINT is, he purposefully wrote his book in such a way that no cursing is needed, not even "dangit" or something of the sort.

Yea, I don't know what the movie will be about. It should be, and probably will be at least partially, a comedy.

DM Cross

Reaction score
Pardon me but you had BETTER not have just called ME that Evolutionist-stereotype...

Also, on another note, since Tolkien was SOMEHOW dragged into this, let me make a point: Curses in LOTR were there, but not OUR form of cursing. Names were curses. Lord Sauron was basically considered a curse. His world didn't seem to really HAVE the swears and vulgarity of our world. My book, however, does, since it's taking place in OUR world. And I've already said I will cut back a bit on the language, so this topic is CLOSED.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
I was talking to Marksman. :)

DM Cross

Reaction score
Just making sure! :p Punk.

M

Marksman

No, no, no, dont you drag this evolution debate into it. I reserve my rights given by the First Amendment for swearing in any way I want, and my right to believe anything I want. I am not dodging the topic, instead confronting it my argument being tossed aside. On a lighter note, why don't you show us some of your writing Rinpun?

DM Cross

Reaction score
Yeah, I posted quite a bit of my crappy writing :p Now yours!

And Marks, what about you? Write at all?

M

Marksman

Yeah I'm writing a book. Can't discuss too much about it, it's in its early stages. I've got a few chapters done, but I keep going back and changing stuff. It's gonna start out like realistic fiction, but eventually fantasy works its way in (I love fantasy). It's kinda political, more like power tug of war (think Ender's game).

DM Cross

Reaction score
Lol, I'm starting to think everyone writes a book sometime! :p

-Edit-

Cool, I was the 100th post for this thread! :D (Not to mention the starter for it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.