Spell Sharl

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jesus4lyfe, if you plan on making several spells please put them together in a spellpack. :)

Thanks!

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and stuff. :D

>Jesus4lyfe, if you plan on making several spells please put them together in a spellpack.
No e. ;)

I'll consider releasing a spellpack in the future, but right now I only have one more spell in mind, and that's a cross between Chain Lightning and Shockwave... A projectile that damages all units in a line by bouncing between them. The maths is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Relies on vector resolution to get distance to a line, instead of being dodgey and getting distance to a point.

Also, is a spellpack meant to be like a set for a hero, or just a bunch of random spells? If it's meant to be a set, the spells im releasing are very far from having anything to do with eachother, really.

>Well, use lightning effects then ^^
That still won't work, and even if it did, good luck making them twist.

I'll reconsider pausing the unit. I probably should do it... Otherwise I might just knock it's speed down or something.

Edit: Something just occurred to me. If this lags too much, try setting sparks to 0 or possibly 1. It's just that right now it's creating 15 units every 0.1 seconds, and 12 of them are the sparks which die probably within 0.3 seconds. The way it works is the spark quantity is created for each strand every 0.1 seconds as the strands extend.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
>Also, is a spellpack meant to be like a set for a hero, or just a bunch of random spells?

The goal is to reduce the number of single spell threads in the spell forum. Spellpacks can be bunches of random spells as they can be sets for an hero. It doesn't matter. :)

Blackrage

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
The spell didnt work for me for some reason. I'm using Jass New Gen, uploaded the spell and the system, changed the Ability ID and Dummy ID, but it didn't work, I mean, it did pull the target to the caster, but it didn't show any effects.

Blackrage

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
FOUND A BUG.

If you make the paladin flying (i set my paladin at 600 flying height) and sharl a target, wait for it to grab it and wait for it to pull it up like halfway (thats what I did) And then stop channeling. The unit that was targetted will stay halfway up in the air.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
Odd. And why does someone only find the bug over a year after the spell is released! XD Well done. :)

Let me know here if you need it fixed for something you're working on or something, otherwise I'll just make a note to investigate it some time in the future. :p

Also, I imagine that bug only happens when targetting ground units, and if that's the case I expect it's a WC3 bug. I know how to work around it, though. :)

Thanks for that. ^_^

mightylink

Reaction score
cool spell, but i would like to see it go a little faster, in a balenced map i can see myself getting raped before im able to pull another player :p

Blackrage

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>Also, I imagine that bug only happens when targetting ground units

-I tested it. It works on flying units as well.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
>cool spell, but i would like to see it go a little faster, in a balenced map i can see myself getting raped before im able to pull another player

Just decrease the period for the extension stuff, in the KT_Add call. :)

>-I tested it. It works on flying units as well.

Hmmm. Then how come pulling a flying unit works fine when you're a ground unit... I suppose I'll need to look into that, thanks. :)

SanKakU

Reaction score
although your spell sandman wasn't very interesting it seems as though what you were coding is...well anyway due to the lack of jesp on that spell and the peculiar nature of it i'm surprised that guy rated you as 8/10...nevertheless i'm glad that you tried making a spell for once and submitting it. we can always use more spells floating around.

and let me take the opportunity to say that this spell seems interesting and practical, and it is a great one. much better than sandman. maybe on your next spell you can combine the complicated coding process of sandman with the practicality of this one. either way, it's always nice to see another spell. good work, man.

oh and btw i think it's cool that it works on flying units...that's how i was actually able to test how exactly that the spell was working...it's kinda hard to tell casting it(the pulling enemy toward you spell) on creeps that come and attack you anyway lol...
edit: oh, he was talking about a bug? hmm idk what it was...didn't notice.
Odd. And why does someone only find the bug over a year after the spell is released! XD Well done. :)
to be honest i had no idea you had made this spell until i was browsing tutorials and was looking at that one about groups which i didn't really read because it's too hard to understand but what caught my eye was that you were saying you used some method of grouping in all your maps...which got me thinking...i see you making systems all the time, but i don't remember you releasing any real maps...just test maps, basically. so i decided to check what you do have submitted and found a couple spells...which again are but test maps...but this one is a nice one.

edit2: he said he's making his paladin a flying unit and that's where he's running into a bug...haha.
that's not really a surprise i mean a flying hero for one thing opens up a whole can of craziness that you have to work around to get things to work right...you've got a league of problems of your own doing something like that... unless of course you're just thinking about using the ability as a custom ability for a custom flying unit...if that's the case...that's pretty cool and original. but why didn't you say that earlier instead of making someone like me come along and guess at it?

SanKakU

Reaction score
I'll consider releasing a spellpack in the future, but right now I only have one more spell in mind, and that's a cross between Chain Lightning and Shockwave... A projectile that damages all units in a line by bouncing between them. The maths is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Relies on vector resolution to get distance to a line, instead of being dodgey and getting distance to a point.

i look forward to it!

edit: sorry about the double post again but i'm incapable of deleting my own posts and i keep forgetting to copy and paste my quoted post and reply into my last post...

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
The maths is a lot more complicated than it sounds. Relies on vector resolution to get distance to a line, instead of being dodgey and getting distance to a point.
well, isnt that a little over complicated? :p.

simplest thing i can do is...
have a multilevel shockwave (like 50 levels.. lol).
and calculate distance and angle to points.

INCINERATE

Reaction score
i now noticed this spell,

i didnt really like it though to be honest :p .. seems overly complicated for what should be a simple spell . frame rates got dragged down by alot too . there is no need to create all these units, i think this is just a show off spell on what a person can do, but also im-practical due to the heavy resources it requires for REAL time use.

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
i think this is just a show off spell on what a person can do, but also im-practical due to the heavy resources it requires for REAL time use.
Yeah, pretty much. It doesn't lag that badly actually, I find.

>i don't remember you releasing any real maps
Not here, no. I used to map a lot and release on war3.incgamers.com (back when it was maps.worldofwar.net or maps.warcraftiii.net to be exact). I did all my mapping before joining TH though. The best title I released was probably Ancient Bound. I also released Savage Creed here. If I did another map, I think I'd make it open source and very modular.

Actually, the systems I write like SpellStruct are half to inspire me to map again. If it gets easy enough to do this stuff, I probably will.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.