Sherlock Holmes (2009)

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I saw it, was a little underwhelmed. There was no chemistry at all between Downey and McAdams. In fact, there was more chemistry between him and Jude Law as friends; it was a more interesting and funny relationship to watch.

The very first action sequence with the guardsman and the boxing match were the only two interesting action scenes, the rest were just filler.

Also, Robert Downey's British accent, while sounding decent, was often difficult to understand and often he would be practically whispering it. I found Watson much more enjoyable to watch than Holmes; Jude Law was just more in his element, while Downey didn't really fit.

The movie is pretty funny, but a lot of the funny parts were in the trailer, which was annoying. In addition, the story was nothing special. If it weren't for the 1800's London setting, this would just be a typical action movie.

It was good and enjoyable, but not something I'm excited to buy on DvD and definitely not the best thing I've seen this winter, much less this month.

In my opinion, everything you didn't like was an intentional part of the movie. Downey's character was SUPPOSED to be off, he was SUPPOSED to be muttering to himself most of the time. Watson and Downey weren't meant to have chemistry, they were arguing throughout most of the movie. I thought they pulled it off very well.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
holmes did mutter though, i dont see that as a huge point in the movie though, since the important stuff he enunciated

And yes, Holmes (Downey) and Adler (McAdams) were not supposed to be good friends, Holmes has nothing more then grudging respect for her, since she is the only person to have outsmarted him.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
Saw this tonight, and it was everything I thought it would be. A good movie with an okay-ish plot and some fairly decent action sequences. It was the characters of Holmes and Watson which were the highlights, though - and I'm not a big fan of Jude Law, but I did like his performance as the long-suffering Watson here. The rest of the characters were okay but the two leads stole every scene they were in. The end, when Holmes did his "reveal", was a good scene. It also had a nice balance of humour and seriousness.

There were a few negatives; the plot got off to a somewhat slow start, and some parts seemed to have been completely improvised as they shot it; it didn't link together very well in the beginning. Of course, at the end when you see the bigger picture, it all looks much better.
Also, the finale did not seem to provoke the tension it really should have done; there was a great potential to do a lot with it, but in the end it seemed like just another action scene. The villain also seemed to go down too easily, but maybe that's how it was supposed to be; Holmes has figured him out completely and so he can take him down easily.

Overall, 4/5.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I give it a 5/5, 100/100, 1/1, whatever you want.

I found it amazing.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
Saw this tonight, and it was everything I thought it would be. A good movie with an okay-ish plot and some fairly decent action sequences. It was the characters of Holmes and Watson which were the highlights, though - and I'm not a big fan of Jude Law, but I did like his performance as the long-suffering Watson here. The rest of the characters were okay but the two leads stole every scene they were in. The end, when Holmes did his "reveal", was a good scene. It also had a nice balance of humour and seriousness.

There were a few negatives; the plot got off to a somewhat slow start, and some parts seemed to have been completely improvised as they shot it; it didn't link together very well in the beginning. Of course, at the end when you see the bigger picture, it all looks much better.
Also, the finale did not seem to provoke the tension it really should have done; there was a great potential to do a lot with it, but in the end it seemed like just another action scene. The villain also seemed to go down too easily, but maybe that's how it was supposed to be; Holmes has figured him out completely and so he can take him down easily.

Overall, 4/5.

The reveal made me smile since Guy followed the book :3. And thats how you do it, Holmes took down the bad guy :D

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
So we ended up not seeing it, grr. So now I gotta go see it or rent it or something, it caught my eye. Lol

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
I dont think there was anything wrong with the cast. The fact that downey got nominated with a golden globe for his acting as sherlock holmes is enough.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
The Evolved Panda Commandant rates Sherlock Holmes: [8/10]

Sherlock Holmes was just as good as expected, and a bit more. At 2 hours, it was a good deal that brought action, mystery, suspense, and obvious room for a sequel. It's not exactly like the original Holmes, but modernized, and I think it's a good thing. It pulled in people of all ages - old and young, although it is a bit dark and scary for younger kids.

The acting and characters were, as said before, more action-y than the stories, but it's all for that awesome effect. Robert Downy Jr. did a good job, and with Jude Law, brought in humor. The other characters were played out well.

The story was interesting, and certainly had some twists, and without spoiling anything, keeps the case open for a second one. Guy Ritchie directed this nicely, and gave it a darker air than I expected. The
scenes when Holmes predicted and solved riddles/enemies were very fun to watch. The mystery was too confusing for anyone to truly solvehimself, but it described everything at the end. It was overall a fun,
interesting movie that serves the old Sherlock Holmes well.

---

lol, who is the secret man... me liked the movie. :thup:

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
The Napoleon of Crime.

Watch League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, too. He's in that, as well. I guess he's a London version of a super villain :)

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
read the books :O!

He is the only other person besides Irene that has matched Holmes in intelligence.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
lol, I saw League of Extraordinary Gentlemen a couple of times, I remember a bit about him now, but too lazy to look further. No point too, better to leave it a surprise everything about him, heh.

I read some Holmes books. Not enough to really know anything though :O

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

Sarj14

Reaction score
I recently saw Sherlock Holmes. I have to say, Robert Downy Jr. did a fantastic job as Mr. Holmes. He has to take a spot in my top 5 film actors. To the point, Sherlock Holmes was a wonderful film and a great one overall. It COULD have been shorter, but hey, the longer the better! I would recommend this film to anyone that hasn't seen it yet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.