Game Sheshell's Sea Adventure

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
I just gave this a first go and it's a nice little game. It got hard around level 8 when the enemies started moving very quickly. I got just over 10k my first game. I'll give it another go today.

BTW, it looks like the old forums are back.

K

Koz

Hey, I enjoyed it also. It does start to ramp up in difficulty around level 8.
I found myself start to not be aiming at the targets but autofiring and trying to dodge the red rocks of death. I would love to have a background story to explain everything(and have proper names for things).
Koz

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I usually get it handed to me around level 12. :)

Pretty interesting history to the game. Jason did the programming and his mother-in-law (IIRC) did the artwork. I got to meet them at VGXPO and they were really nice (you'll see a picture of them in the photo gallery standing in front of the game). The game was developed completely by using the public SDK and the Nuance emulator.

Hopefully Jason will stop in and explain a bit further. Skah_T - maybe you can use a method similar to what's in Sheshell to add music to your games?

As far as the forums, they are in the process of migrating over to thehelper.net's servers. If all goes as planned, they will include all the old posts and will retain the look of the rest of the N-D site.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
K3V said:
Skah_T - maybe you can use a method similar to what's in Sheshell to add music to your games?

Yeah, I don't recall why I didn't do that with Decaying Orbit. I'll definitely have some sort of music for any future games. Katapila actually uses a tracker file for its music. I was thinking of cleaning that up to make it useable for any game.

J

Jason

Thanks for the comments on the game.

It's actually my mother who did the graphics. She does art as a hobby, but this was her first time doing it on a computer.

There's not too much of a backstory to the game, although there probably should be. I was thinking about creating an HTML game manual with that sort of stuff but never got around to it. I really like "red rocks of death" for the name of the enemy fire though.

I basically finished the game engine before my mother did any of the graphics. (I just used placeholder graphics while I was developing the game engine--the little green alien sprite on the land levels actually began his life as my first placeholder.) Initially, we were thinking of having a turtle as the hero instead of the girl, and we started coming up with a story based on that, but then we had a little change of direction.

I would eventually like to work on a game with more emphasis on the design and story, but I was working on this game in my (limited) spare time, so I was trying to keep it simple to get it released. It's also my first game, so I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

J

jimv

Hey Jason,
I'm enjoying your game very much, it is addictive. Thank so much for making it. My Nuon controller was not getting much use but now It is again. I met you, your mom and girlfriend at the VGXPO and was playing your game when you came over to the NUON-Dome table. I liked it then and I like it even more now. It's alot of fun. The music is great and the game play and graphis are as well. Keep up the good work it is appreciated by all us Nuon fans. :D

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
This is old stuff and I don't remember Sheshell's Sea Adventure. Is this something that is still around?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.