Shield That Absorbs Damage

Kyuft

Reaction score
Hey TH,
How do I make an effect create a shield around a target that will absorb incoming damage up to a certain point. I do not want to increase the units shield, but rather give it a temporary shield that is not added onto their original shield attribute.

-Kyuft:shades:

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Simple way:

- Add a behaviour/buff to unit that, reduces damage.
- Use triggers to detect damage to unit with that behavior, tally up the damage.
- When it reaches an amount, remove the behaviour.

Kyuft

Reaction score
So make the behavior reduce damage by 100%? Then make a trigger that tallies up the damage that the unit takes while the behavior is on. When it reaches, lets say 50, remove the behavior. If the unit takes no damage (because reduction is 100%), won't it last forever? If not, how do I make this trigger?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
You are correct in that it will last forever. However I had a similar issue for an ability I was working on. The only solution I could come up with was to use the function Weapon Damage to calculate how much damage would be dealt. This wasn't ideal as I couldn't calculate the damage that should have been dealt by abilities, but it was accurate enough for its purpose.

Dave312

Reaction score
Not one that I'm aware of. The main problem is that there isn't a way to record the amount of damaged absorbed. You could use charges, but then the ability would work by counting the number of times the unit was attacked, not the total amount of damage absorbed.

MissKerrigan

Reaction score
You can still create a shield which absorb damage for a certain amounth of time if you glad with that

Kyuft

Reaction score
I want a shield that absorbs ALL damage that is sent towards the unit up to a certain amount.
EDIT: I think I figured it out, however it is very inconvenient. Is there a way that I can make a trigger event like: "Unit Gains Behavior"?
If there is a REAL and convenient way, please post it!

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this ability exists in the campaign already. I think either Tosh or Nova has it. Look through their abilities and see if you can find it.

Dave312

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this ability exists in the campaign already. I think either Tosh or Nova has it. Look through their abilities and see if you can find it.

You are correct (Tosh has it). But the problem is that it works by giving Tosh a 300 point shield and Kyuft doesn't want to do this.

Fulla

Evil Overlord
Reaction score
Ok then here's how:

- Give the unit a behaviour, with visual effects you want.
- With triggers detect whenever the buffed unit takes damage.
- Heal back the damage instantly, tally how much damage it is taking.
- When the damage reaches the maximum amount, 'remove the behaviour.

Kyuft

Reaction score
That's what I have been trying. I'll tell you if it works.
EDIT: Now that you mention Tosh, is there a way I can do this, but give the unit another shield/attribute. Like, make another bar appear above their shield and have that be the spell's shield? If so, how do I get it to disappear when the value is at 0?

Kyuft

Reaction score
Sorry for necro, but I guess its okay because of my internet problem.
BUMP

Kyuft

Reaction score
But will I be able to make it a new "attribute" if you will? Like the health and shield that the unit already has. I need it to be like a second shield, and have a "status" bar on the unit's information in the HUD. (Where is shows the weapon, armor, health, and shield.

EDIT: I have thought of an alternate way to make the shield that might be easier, but I don't know how to do it. Could I make a dummy unit with 10% of the unit(shielded unit)'s health that follows the shielded unit exactly. That way, we might be able to redirect attacks to that invisible unit(which would be on top of the shielded unit) so that it wouldn't hurt the shielded unit until the shield was gone. It would work sort of like the ravens drone. However, this would be a problem if the attack had splash damage. Maybe we could make the shielded unit invulnerable to splash damage while the shield is alive? Just thinking aloud.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.