- Length: Your story’s length must be between 1,000 and 2,500 words. That’s about a page and a half to four pages in Word, font Times New Roman size 12. If you are using Word you can check the number of words you have so far by going to Tools > Count Words.
- Prompt: The story must have something to do with the picked “prompt”. The host of every contest chooses the prompt. The prompt can be anything really, as long as you can write a story about it.
- Attach: When submitting your story you must attach here (don’t link some odd site) a Note Pad (*.txt) file with your story. If you have Word, you may attach a word file as well. You may also put your story in your post, and wrap it in spoiler tags.
- Deadline: You have a month to submit your story which will be at the February 23rd, 2008.
- Winner: Once the winner would be announced he could be the host of the next contest, choosing the prompt and getting to be one of the three judges if he wishes to. Judges and hosts can never win a contest.
- Rule: The short story must be written especially for this contest. Submitting something that was posted already somewhere else will get you disqualified.
The prompt shall be the word winter. What is winter to you? Is it a setting, an emotion, a story, etc?
Each submission will be graded by those parameters:
- Grammar + Vocab. - X / 20 - Up to 20 points will be given for using proper grammar and spelling words properly. Also, if you’ll use a rich language in your story, instead of using the same words, you’ll get a few more points in this category.
- Interesting - X / 20 - How interesting is your story? Does it make us regret we started reading it, or does it push us forward into the story?
- Originality - X / 10 - How original is the story? Will it be just like many other stories we read, or will it be something new and refreshing?
- Themes - X / 15 - Is there any meaning behind the story? How well can it be understood and seen? What is the meaning?
- Plot - X / 20 - Up to 20 points will be given to the plot of the story.
- Characterization - X / 15 - How interesting are you characters? Are they shallow, or are they interesting beings? Do we understand them, or do their acts seem completely random for us? How well are they described?
The reward will be reputation points from me, and all other members that want to give you some reputation for winning. If given permission and the contest will be popular enough, an award system may be used, or more reputation points may be given.
Judges for this contest