Short Story Contest Two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Rules

• Length: Your story’s length must be between 1,000 and 2,500 words. That’s about a page and a half to four pages in Word, font Times New Roman size 12. If you are using Word you can check the number of words you have so far by going to Tools > Count Words.

• Prompt: The story must have something to do with the picked “prompt”. The host of every contest chooses the prompt. The prompt can be anything really, as long as you can write a story about it.

• Attach: When submitting your story you must attach here (don’t link some odd site) a Note Pad (*.txt) file with your story. If you have Word, you may attach a word file as well. You may also put your story in your post, and wrap it in spoiler tags.

• Deadline: You have a month to submit your story which will be at the February 23rd, 2008.

• Winner: Once the winner would be announced he could be the host of the next contest, choosing the prompt and getting to be one of the three judges if he wishes to. Judges and hosts can never win a contest.

• Rule: The short story must be written especially for this contest. Submitting something that was posted already somewhere else will get you disqualified.

The Prompt

The prompt shall be the word winter. What is winter to you? Is it a setting, an emotion, a story, etc?

Grading

Each submission will be graded by those parameters:

• Grammar + Vocab. - X / 20 - Up to 20 points will be given for using proper grammar and spelling words properly. Also, if you’ll use a rich language in your story, instead of using the same words, you’ll get a few more points in this category.

• Interesting - X / 20 - How interesting is your story? Does it make us regret we started reading it, or does it push us forward into the story?

• Originality - X / 10 - How original is the story? Will it be just like many other stories we read, or will it be something new and refreshing?

• Themes - X / 15 - Is there any meaning behind the story? How well can it be understood and seen? What is the meaning?

• Plot - X / 20 - Up to 20 points will be given to the plot of the story.

• Characterization - X / 15 - How interesting are you characters? Are they shallow, or are they interesting beings? Do we understand them, or do their acts seem completely random for us? How well are they described?

Reward

The reward will be reputation points from me, and all other members that want to give you some reputation for winning. If given permission and the contest will be popular enough, an award system may be used, or more reputation points may be given.

Judges for this contest
Ninva
SilverHawk
Rheias

Contestants list
Seb!
BANANAMAN
thewrongvine'
MasterOfABCs
Halahan
Monsterous
jonadrian619

---
Good luck.​

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Im in yet again....:rolleyes: just one question...can u move the deadline to feb 30 instead?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to enter one of these contests yet, so why don't you put me in, eh?

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I AM IN!
I AM SO IN!
I AM ENTERING!
COUNT ME IN!
I HOPE TO SEE MY NAME ON CONTESTANTS LIST!
lol

ok, one question though...

the prompt is winter... and like what winter means to you... meaning we write a story of something else but it connects to what the writer thinks of winter? ?? :confused:

thewrongvine

Reaction score
erm, how do we like submit it to you. DO we wait for the deadline or what? PM it or somethin?

im not saying im done, i didnt even start, but just to make sure

and can i privately ask some questions to judges? i just pm them?
ok ima pm you ninva...

thewrongvine

Reaction score
GAH THIS SUCKS! i completely forgot that my midterms are this week! only 2 days to study!
i think i have an idea for the contest tho...
im probably gonna be last place... :D
good luck to all particapants! let the show begin! (a few days ago it begins actually...)

thewrongvine

Reaction score
omg i finished my shortstory... can you believe it!?! i spent only, i think, one or two hours on it.
but tomorrow, i proofread it and make it... better.. lol

time to study for midterms!

SilverHawk

General Iroh - Dragon of the West
Reaction score
the prompt is winter... and like what winter means to you... meaning we write a story of something else but it connects to what the writer thinks of winter? ?? :confused:

Yep. :p

Just make sure your reader can understand the connection. Though vagueness can sometimes be good, people still have to understand what you're saying.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Is it strictly a 2500 word limit? Will a 3500 word story lose some points, or simply not be read? Because I just finished the introduction to mine and it's at 1,000 words now, and I'm pretty sure it will end up going beyond the limit.

Also, Christmas is wintery enough, correct?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Is it strictly a 2500 word limit? Will a 3500 word story lose some points, or simply not be read? Because I just finished the introduction to mine and it's at 1,000 words now, and I'm pretty sure it will end up going beyond the limit.

Also, Christmas is wintery enough, correct?

I'll allow a little over 2,500 because I guess the host can do that (if not, Rheias will yell at me, but that's fine), but try to keep it out of the 5,000 range. I'm sure some of the judges really don't have all that time to read that much.
Any idea/theme/setting surrounded by the word winter will be fine with me, but I can't speak for the other judges.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Sounds legit, I look forward to the results of the contest. =) My story should be up by the end of the weekend.

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Damn, I kind of suck. I can't really make this story the proper length; I've just reached a good stopping point for a sort of break, and if a part of a short story is good enough then I'm set, but at 2,500 words already I can't really do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.