[Short Story] Ralph and Jack.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
Heyho, this short story was for english coursework, we had to do a chapter of a novel of Lord of the Flies, 15 years later. Do tell me what you think - thank you!
Also, if you have never read Lord of the Flies, then you most likely wont get the story. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Somewhere in England, there lay many unmarked graves. You may find them in forests, oceans, or in gardens. A particular one was being visited, and it was well hidden.
The grave slept in a thick borough of forest, trees of oak, cellar and willow grew there, there leaves ever-changing to the constant change of climate, sometimes red, sometimes yellow. There barks were tough, and to navigate through such a forest was incredibly hard. Yet one such man knew these lands as if he was its creator.
He walked on top of the leaves, creating the noise of crunches, severing the tide of silence. He walked on and on, through the oak and cellar, with a sense of purpose. After a short while, he found the clearing of trees he was looking for; with a headstone in the middle.
He rushed forward towards the grave, and stopped at the stone, dropping a photograph clenched in his right hand.
The photograph contained the same man, a year before. He was a skinny, tall man, with hair as brown as chocolate, his green eyes shone with emeralds, and his pale skin lit up with happiness. All he wore were some combat trousers, black leather boots, and a white shirt, underneath a brown overcoat.
But the same man now, was depressed, his hair drooped, his eyes no longer shining, and his pale skin cracked and uncared for.
The man’s name was Ralph.
And he wept.

Ralph looked at the stone with a sense of longing for his departed friend, and sat down facing the stone. It was half the size of Ralph, with its grey rocky colour crying alongside Ralph with whatever lay inside. It was cracked and chipped, not by humans, but by the forces of nature. Eventually the grave would be whittled away, long after this Ralph’s death. An unmarked grave would become an unknown one, without anything to describe its contents.
“Rest in Peace, Piggy.” Ralph sighed, “May you find happiness in heaven.”
“If he’s allowed there, of course.” Spoke a deep voice.
Ralph looked around, and saw a man standing beside him.
“Oh and, you dropped this I think.”
The man held out a photograph, the photograph Ralph had dropped.
“Thank you,” replied Ralph. “But who are you?”
“Me?” The man questioned.
“Indeed.”
“You don’t recognise me at all?”
Ralph looked carefully at the man. He was the same height as Ralph, with piercing blue eyes, with short hair like Ralph’s, only black. His skin was slightly less pale, and wore brown loafers, black trousers and shirt, and a matching brown overcoat to Ralph’s.
“I don’t recall anything of you.” Ralph pondered.
“I am quite shocked,” gasped the man. “My name is... well, do you really want to know?”
Ralph sighed, “Just damned tell me.”
“Jack.” The man said.
In an instant, the whole world reverberated with Ralph, his mind exploding with realisation and pain, memories flooded in, some of happiness, some of pain and destruction. This was the man who had mercilessly slaughtered an innocent being fifteen years ago, along with his best friend... the reason this grave was here.
Ralph stood up, clenched his fists, and spoke in anger.
“If you do not leave, then I will hurt you.”
“Not exactly the response I had in mind, then aga-“
“YOU are the reason this grave is here!” Ralph interrupted.
“As I was saying... then again I do deserve such a punishment, to atone for my sins.” Jack protested, “If you wish to harm me, try.”
Ralph would have attempted, but he was more humble and kinder now, than his twelve year old counterpart.
“Then why are you here? Come to spit on the grave, make sure it’s got the proper treatment it deserves? Maybe you brought along a damned piglet, planning to cut it up on the grave!” Ralph shouted.
“That was fifteen years ago.”
“And how do I know you’ve damned changed!?”
Ralph was furious, why was his friend’s killer here? Jack was also furious, his mind and heart knew he had changed dramatically since the events on the wretched island, yet Ralph didn’t, and would never believe him.
“You may not think I have changed, but I bloody well have.” Jack scorned.
“Yeah? Well I don’t believe you... Chief.”
Ralph emphasized the word ‘Chief’ and knew it had hit a nerve inside Jack.
“Screw it; you’ve kept pushing me aside, as if I’m dirt. I may be in your eyes, but I have changed, believe it or not!” Growled Jack,
Ralph knew he should have listened, but the haze of revenge had clogged his mind, but now the realisation had begun to sink in, he was now ready to heed Jack’s words.
“I was going to suggest we both trod along to the island, find Piggy’s body as nobody has ever tried, and come back here to conduct a proper burial, he deserves at least that!”
Jack then spat into the ground, but far away from the grave.
Ralph contemplated Jack’s words. Was he telling the truth? He certainly did seem less violent, but was it all a ploy? A trap? Then Ralph realised something.
“Impossible. Piggy’s body was washed to sea, and even if it hadn’t it would have turned into a skeleton – and dumped at the bottom of the ocean.”
Jack had realised this, and knew his reply.
“His spectacles were not however.”
“Even if they were still on the island, where would it be?” Ralph questioned, “It could be anywhere!”
“Think it through.” Jack ordered, “What did I use them for? Where did I use it?”
A place, deep within Ralph’s mind sprung out of the air, like a monkey out of a tree.
“Let’s go. Now.” Ralph spoke.
“So you know where I presume?” Jack asked.
“Of course, how could I have forgotten? All these years they have been there – all this time!”
“So, do tell me; unless I have to think you have a short memory.” Jack teased.
“There at Castle Rock.”
“Exactly.” Jack smiled, patting Ralph on the back.

As the two men walked out of the clearing, and into civilization, the forest returned to being forgotten, shrouding the grave; once again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes: Originally, it was supposed to be a short story being 1000 to 1500 words long, when i did this bit (Which when planned, was only the start) it came up to roughly 1000 words, so i changed it to being the first chapter of a novel.

Thank you for Reading!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.