Should politicians be held liable for what they say?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Should politicians be held liable for what they say?

if so, how?

I think that they should be held accountable for what they say when campaigning, on national TV and all, since too often they make too many promises, get into office, and then do nothing/next to nothing as far as what they promised to do - this is bad for and leadership, since it just means the biggest BSer gets the job, while the responsible and potentially better candidate doesn't because they have a shred more of morality.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
I agree it would be awesome! "Politicians should always be held liable for what they say!"
Well, If politicians cannot resolve what they promised. Why the hell they even promise things they can't even keep?
"When will they ever learn?" But sadly people know and "accept" that politicians aren't going to do everything they promise. That's not a good thing.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Go study some politics and try again.

I do think it is simply impossible to hold politicians liable for what they say. They depend on other politicians to put their plans through. There is just too much going on they can't influence.

South-Titan

Reaction score
The politicians in the USA and other democratic countries represent the people, so if they say something that goes against the views of their constituency, then they should be held liable for even personal opinions. Their job is to represent the country, not Cantor and the Palin clan. But if they make a remark, say, that they don't like a restaurant, that's fine, because it doesn't go against any major political views that this person was elected for.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score

I propose to re-define politics, and avoid getting stuck in the gridlock that it currently is.

even if there is stuff going on that they can't influence, they can at a minimum vote against it and speak against it.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score

That comment was extremely unnecessary.

I do think it is simply impossible to hold politicians liable for what they say. They depend on other politicians to put their plans through. There is just too much going on they can't influence.

Maybe they should stop saying they can influence it?

Bronxernijn

Reaction score
That comment was extremely unnecessary.

I do believe it becomes pretty obvious that this idea is radically beyond impractical, plus it shows a general lack of trust in politicians. I think both are reason enough to assume this person is not completely educated on the matter of politics, hence my somewhat rude comment.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I do believe it becomes pretty obvious that this idea is radically beyond impractical

It was more about if it's right or not rather then if it will happen or not - the first step is identifying a problem, and only after that you can start working on solving it

plus it shows a general lack of trust in politicians.

if we could trust politicians, then this wouldn't be an issue, now would it?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
How about if they lie they're charged with perjury?

Bronxernijn

Reaction score
Fine, have it your way and believe your own truth. I am leaving this thread.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Politicians just promise that kind of things the people want to hear.
If the people want things to happen which are impossible, politicians have to promise things they cannot make real in the end.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I agree it would be awesome! "Politicians should always be held liable for what they say!"
Well, If politicians cannot resolve what they promised. Why the hell they even promise things they can't even keep?
"When will they ever learn?" But sadly people know and "accept" that politicians aren't going to do everything they promise. That's not a good thing.

So you want them to be held liable? Okay, so on their side, wheres the understanding from you?
Lets say, a politician promises a plan cheaper gas and everyone seems to be all for it. He gets elected, tries to push for the plan, and either it's not pushed through or no one follows through. Then hes the one that gets blamed for "not following through", despite maybe a lack of funding or help from the lack of people following through or voting on stuff.

You've got to be a bit more understanding. Politics can't, and will never, be held for everything they say. It's your job as an American to vote in a respectable person you can trust, do so.

This.

Nah, Screw That, It's their job to know the facts before making promises. Period.

You are crazy hypocritical for saying that, FireCat. Perhaps you should do the same yourself, freshen up on the politics and drug facts before trying to join a discussion on them with false facts or lack of facts.

Every politician should be educated about our "Reality!" LOL

Everyone's reality is different. It's all about how a person perceives the world.
Example: Flying down the freeway at 100mph. I think it's too fast, my sister thinks it's okay. Legally it's wrong, but which one of our opinions are right? Neither, they're opinions and each person is entitled to them. (Please don't start a convo on speeding, that was the first example I thought of...) Everyones "reality" is different, as their brain interprets what it receives from your bodies senses different. Just like how some people like certain foods and others don't...
Politicians just promise that kind of things the people want to hear.
So do a lot of other people in life. Salesmen, for example...

If the people want things to happen which are impossible, politicians have to promise things they cannot make real in the end.

People want everything handed to them, to not have to think for themselves. They will NEVER be happy.

Varine

Reaction score
Take into account that people wanting things handed to them is not inherently their fault. It's our society's fault; look at the difference between now and a hundred years ago, before we had the government intervening and giving handouts left and right.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
So do a lot of other people in life. Salesmen, for example...

are held liable and can be sued for false advertisement, or you can return a product if it fails to meet your expectations

He gets elected, tries to push for the plan, and either it's not pushed through or no one follows through. Then hes the one that gets blamed for "not following through", despite maybe a lack of funding or help from the lack of people following through or voting on stuff.

that is all that I would ask - it shouldn't be too hard to show what prevented it from happening, that XYZ was the cause of the failure - but I will admit it is more difficult to do this in politics then other places, yet it is still doable.

Varine

Reaction score
We could just blame Bush. It worked for Obama.

Varine

Reaction score
and then the republicans will blame Obama, and the cycle will continue?

I would recommend watching this - It helps summarize why nothing gets done

No. The republicans blame California. California blames Texas. Texas blames the ban on incandescent bulbs, then Texas secedes. We continue to blame Bush.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.