Should politicians be held liable for what they say?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Because it makes no sense and I think it's funny. You just spelled it wrong, it's liar. Lair is like what evil geniuses have.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Well, better than being called a "completely" Lair!

[del]Oh you are such a liar! [/del]
Why do you want to be a complete lair? LOL

Mang, why do you even bother posting in a debate thread? Cmon', try to debate. You do the same thing almost every thread, you waltz in and find a post that someone made a point on, and then say something like "But what if it's not? LOL". Thats not debating, thats being annoying. If someone has a opinion standpoint on a debate, you can't just come in and ask something like that, which is pretty much saying "That opinion doesn't work", which is never the case. Thats the power of opinions.

Do some research, or do the normal debate users a deal and stop coming in and posting like that. All it EVER does is start flame wars, look at almost every thread that you do this stuff in. No hate, but please mang, be a bit more open minded and a bit less ignorant to seeing other peoples opinions...
Do some reading

Because it makes no sense and I think it's funny. You just spelled it wrong, it's liar. Lair is like what evil geniuses have.

Hahaha, winning. :thup:

Varine

Reaction score
You can never be wrong about an opinion, unless you're liberal. According to my high school yearbook quote number one (I got two because I'm balla).

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
People should really stop thinking in Binary (us vs Them) There is no right or wrong way to approach things more so in Politics. I think people should be more realistic and patient when it comes to choosing the right person for office.

I mean which should win? A candidate known for his/her sound moral standing proposing a plausible but tedious plan to resolve (insert country's problem here) or a candidate who proposes Sexy whimmins,Bacon,Beer and Free money for everyone along with ending all suffering?

Then of course we tend to look at politicians as objects that are responsible for whatever happens around us which allows us to blame them for whatever fuck ups happen. Never mind that they're people just like us,people whom we voted into office expecting them to solve our problems like some sort of Machine built to end world hunger or something like that.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
No. The republicans blame California. California blames Texas. Texas blames the ban on incandescent bulbs, then Texas secedes. We continue to blame Bush.

i love you... but it ends with texas invading arizona and seizing control of californias utility/resource supply and california disappearing off the edge of the coast with the last thing being seen of it a firey sacrifice of george bush murals.

but i digress, i do think politicians should be held responsible for things that they have control over, ie: saying they will try to put prop through, regardless of whether they will get it.

If a politician promises something they have no control over, they are either an idiot, or playing on the massive idiocy of a good portion of america (im american so its not being judge mental its just stating the truth) but i dont think you should be punished for something you have no control over

ps. i liked the perjury idea for the punishment of the crime, lying to the united states should be no less of a perjury than lying under oath

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
I skimmed through this thread and saw a lot of silly things being said... But I will throw in my 2 cents, feel free to take it or leave it.

In my opinion, I think accountability is extremely important. [I would, I'm in the military!]

I don't vote. I'm an American citizen, a member of the world's greatest Air Force and I'm 23. And I have never once voted.

Why not, you may ask? Because not only do I not feel that my vote would account for much, but I don't really believe in politics anymore. If anyone here is on my FB page, you'll notice the section on Information where it asks what my political views are says something along the lines of:

"I think politics are a joke; It's a game now for people to promise the world and then when they win their election, they act according to an entirely different agenda. I think if I were the President, I would tell you EXACTLY what I plan to do and that would be what I did. I highly doubt I'd win any election because honesty is simply not the best political policy."

[Actually, the statement before the quotes is untrue; That is EXACTLY what my page says. I should know, I wrote it!]

Anyway, imagine if we could hold the president to his campaign speeches? What if his/her failure to meet what he/she says they're going to accomplish during their term as President resulted in not only denial of re-election but fines? Or possible jail time?

The sad thing is, politicals are the "silver spoon" type people. Or should I say "forked tongue" type? But I digress.

In my opinion, politics is the art of realizing what a majority of the people want to hear being said, saying it with enough enthusiasm that people believe you're telling the truth and then acting according to your own means, while still finding excuses why you couldn't do what you said you would do in order to fool people for a third time.

Wanna know the real reason Presidents can only be elected for two terms?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times... And where's my shotgun? :D

Have a great day, everyone!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I agree with you Seth, and obviously honesty is important.
<end of that thought, no idea where it was going>
...but if you think about it, Presidents (and politicians) of the past got away with a lot more things than today. Some documentary I watched, a random passerby summed up politics nicely, saying something like how politics are just like a magazine or some TV show and we're the viewers. I probably got that completely wrong, but what I'm saying is the media controls so much of what goes on today. The level of dishonesty and falsehood may have been better or worse in the past, but we wouldn't really know, and if it was worse, they would get away with a lot more. Everything's blown up today. Politicians are celebrities.

So obviously, accountability in a way is unfair as Bronx and DDR said, because results are impossible to determine, and the media already blows everything they say out of proportion. However, that doesn't change the truth that empty words are empty words that shouldn't have been said in the first place. Sure, a lot of people say things like that, like someone said, salesmen. However, politicians are not salesmen. They're not celebrities that can get away for a scandal. Politicians, especially the President, are and should be above that. Politicians are people, yes, but that is put aside when you're in a position for anything. There's a reason not everyone can be the President, it takes something more, something special. The public isn't forcing a person into politics, they choose it, so if they are elected, they should know what's in store for them, which is obviously more than any one man can handle.

So I also believe accountability is important, but it's one of those things that should have something done about it, but it's just realistically difficult. What their consequences would be I don't know, but I leave that up to the people...

Eh? Eh? What am I even saying?

Varine

Reaction score
Wanna know the real reason Presidents can only be elected for two terms?

Because FDR died and people were like "Hey... what the fuck was that about? Let's not let that happen again."

Danny Cross

Bunny
Reaction score
THey should of coarse be liable to what they say. They may not always be the ones to write it but they always read it before speaking.

If you can get up and make all these cock a bull promises and get elected and not to dam thing you promise, then what is the point of voting. Your going to vote for what you here is best yet they are all lies.

This is why I dont vote, I stopped listening to the garbage that comes out there mouths.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.