should the government be involved in the marriage process at all?

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Does the government need to be involved in a process that is normally between the church and two individuals? does it have the right to say who can and cannot be married? or give special privileges to married people? (lower taxes, insurance rates, etc.)

the only good I see coming from this is in the event of a parent dying without a will, their partner will legally inherit the kids/property/etc. easily, but that is countered by the confusion that a divorce creates anyways

having a will is MUCH cheaper then a marriage/divorce, even if you talk with a lawyer and update it regularly

Nigerianrulz

suga suga how'd you get so fly?
Reaction score
i dont know much about laws but i think the whole point where you have to sign documents stating that you are married to another is the legal stuff such as housing and stuff that have to be recorded. there is people who have kids without marriage, theres nothing preventing you from not marrying... and still live in the same house and have kids... i mean like there isnt anything that prevents a couple from holding a marriage in a church without legally signing documents right? So if its is right then the couples are consent to be legally wedded meaning this debate is really not much of a debate.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Nigerianrulz, the legal part is about money, not about the church or love. And the only thing the government really cares about is money so there they go.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i mean like there isnt anything that prevents a couple from holding a marriage in a church without legally signing documents right?

while there isn't anything that forces you to not do that, if you do so you get taken advantage of because you miss all the tax and insurance incentives to do so - which is discrimination against unmarried people imo

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
while there isn't anything that forces you to not do that, if you do so you get taken advantage of because you miss all the tax and insurance incentives to do so - which is discrimination against unmarried people imo

Why is that a discrimination? Everbody can make the marriage official towards the government if they like to. Are they holding you back?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
And Firecat again missed the point.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Why? As it seems he just stated his opinion, and i guess in a debate everybody has the right to do so.

About something that was never even said or mentioned, no one is being forced to marry. :)

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
no one is being forced to marry. :)

No?

She was one of 400 children to receive assistance from the government's Forced Marriage Unit in the last year.

The figures have emerged as the public consultation into criminalising forced marriage in England, Wales and Northern Ireland comes to an end.

Amy Cumming, joint head of the Forced Marriage Unit, said 29% of the cases it dealt with last year involved minors..

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score

What the hell are you talking about? I can post a quote from any news article, doesn't make that part of the original topic. This debate was never about forced marriage, but rather weather the government should be involved in the process of marriage.

FireCat

Reaction score
but rather weather the government should be involved in the process of marriage.
I know that that's why I said yes! the government should be involved in the process of marriage and stop this crap. And It's two individuals involved in the marriage. Isn't it?

And the rest "special privileges thing" I'm pretty sure most people would agree that these are unfair to single people. Well, when they don't have such a privileges at all. Otherwise whatever

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
What the hell are you talking about? I can post a quote from any news article, doesn't make that part of the original topic. This debate was never about forced marriage, but rather weather the government should be involved in the process of marriage.

The question was whether the government should be involved and his opinion is yes.
How can that not make sense to you? Its his opinion, he can say so if he likes.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
the government should be involved in the process of marriage and stop this crap.

Well then you can pay for it, because I don't feel like paying taxes with my hard earned money to fix other peoples marriages. If they want to fuck up their marriage, all the more power to them. I don't want to pay for it, and unlike what a lot of people seem to think, someone has to pay for it. Who is that? Taxpayers. I'll pass

The question was whether the government should be involved and his opinion is yes.
How can that not make sense to you? Its his opinion, he can say so if he likes.

Riddle me this...
Why are we supposed to be so accepting of his posts, yet when we post calling out the idiocy that half of the forums sees, we get hated for it? Yeah, thats logical. Sorry, I don't see how this is working out. If you'd rather have a bunch of spam or irreverent, unreadable posts for content instead of a few decent ones, be my guest. But don't get irritated at me and Varine for getting irritated at his lack of any thought or research in his posts.

FireCat

Reaction score
If you want to research on evry single thing there is, I guess that's okay
But why In The World. Do I Need research about this issue?

Btw: I don't pass, If a child need to be rescued from slimy scumbags.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
[...]

Riddle me this...
Why are we supposed to be so accepting of his posts, yet when we post calling out the idiocy that half of the forums sees, we get hated for it? Yeah, thats logical. Sorry, I don't see how this is working out. If you'd rather have a bunch of spam or irreverent, unreadable posts for content instead of a few decent ones, be my guest. But don't get irritated at me and Varine for getting irritated at his lack of any thought or research in his posts.
This is a public forum and he has the right to tell his opinion on a public debate. It wasnt spam and it wasnt irreverent or unreadable, just a regular post. Dont start to be the bully of the internets.
Maybe it would work out better next time if you just say in the first post that you are not interested to hear the opinions of members called firecat or the opinion of jews or some other part of society.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I agree with Nigerianrulz, the legal part is about money, not about the church or love. And the only thing the government really cares about is money so there they go.

basically this is my point, but it's a form of discrimination - being married/unmarried should NOT have any impact on how much taxes you pay, yet it does - what is the justification for this? the government needs money, fine, tax the people, but tax married/unmarried people equally - it's not like it's the rich/poor thing where rich people have more money to pay

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.