Should women be drafted into the military?

nabbig2

Reaction score
As you may know, signing up for the military in the United States is mandatory for men, but not women, as they turn 18. Please discuss, and do it respectfully.

I am wholeheartedly against this. It is blatant sexism. People say that women have less physical capabilities than men. This is true to a small extent. However, women can still perform perfectly adequately in the military. If that was the reason for the sexist draft, then shouldn't men have better legal access to jobs that they are better at?

Another argument is that with women on the front, there will be nobody at home. Wrong. If you take women, then in place of them there will be men back at home, who are perfectly capable of taking the jobs of women.

I firmly believe in women's equal rights, but I just hate it how they complain about how men make more on average and they want something done about it-but they don't even have to sign up for the military. I find this very hypocritical.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
I think it should be the same for men as it is for woman, as soon as your 18, you should be just as much in danger as being drafted as the opposite sex.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Mixing genders on the front lines can create... distractions. I understand that women generally serve only in special roles now.

Women also have the ability to give birth so they have that additional function in the home country (even if their partner gets shipped off, there are... opportunities... before the deployment and during any rotations back home.)

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
It's not mandatory to sign up for the military in the USA.. the Selective Service is different from an actual draft. But yes, it is only for males.

nabbig2

Reaction score
It's not mandatory to sign up for the military in the USA.. the Selective Service is different from an actual draft. But yes, it is only for males.

Yes, you are correct, but if there is war, only men are drafted.

Rapmaster gives a good point-but there are still many women who do not give birth. In my opinion, if women have an excuse to leave because of a child, then so should men. It's just as much their child and responsibility.

Undead Me

Reaction score
Well I am opposed to a draft of any kind because it weakens our armed forces by lowering morale. Go Milton Friedman!

But if there is a draft then women must be included. And the middle and upper class damn well better not be able to dodge any better than the lower.

Not allowing women to fight is sexist. Thanks to the miracle of machine guns, anyone can be deadly on the battlefield once they are properly trained. Besides which, the physical capabilities of men and women are nearly the same. It is true that fat is distributed differently and that men have a tendency to build muscle mass faster, but this should not make too big a difference.

In order to truly demolish sexism in this country we must target not only the system of disadvantage oppressing women (Lower pay, a culture encouraging stay at home moms and not dads, discriminatory hiring, etc.), we must also target the system of advantage. Out with chivalry, in with politeness to both genders. Out with the belief that mothers are inherently more nurturing than fathers. Out with the whole "women and children first" thing. Children first. Then both men and women at the same time. No mercy, no respite can be afforded to this treacherous enemy of modern society.

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I don't think there should even be an argument. Women should be just as susceptible to the draft as men. It doesn't take physical strength to fire a gun. Although I don't think the draft should exist in the first place.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
No... they should be at home practicing their cooking so when the man comes home she'll be able to make a perfect meal for him.

I don't think there should even be an argument. Women should be just as susceptible to the draft as men. It doesn't take physical strength to fire a gun. Although I don't think the draft should exist in the first place.

No, but it does to walk arounnd for fifteen hours a day through a desert.

nabbig2

Reaction score
No... they should be at home practicing their cooking so when the man comes home she'll be able to make a perfect meal for him.

No, but it does to walk arounnd for fifteen hours a day through a desert.

And women are perfectly capable of doing so.

It's sexist of you to say that the women should be cooking. Men can cook just as well. Emeril Lagasse? Alton Brown?

Undead Me, and Genkora, I agree with you-I also do not beleive in a mandatory draft. What if somebody does not believe that the war's cause is just?

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
id like to point out that, most women are not that hardened to go to the war, it shouldnt be a draft, honestly, a woman can go if she wants, but most women are not usually war ready, no im not being sexist, its just common sense, drafting. Ya ok, if people dont get drafted, only volunteers would go, how many people would that be. The only way to get people on the battlefield is by draft, sure people have patriotism, but people are reminded, if you go, you may never see your loved ones again, and no one wants to go through that, but draft, is the only way to push them towards it, if they dont want to do it, then im sure i they can back out.

P.S. I dont know if they can back out

nabbig2

Reaction score
id like to point out that, most women are not that hardened to go to the war, it shouldnt be a draft, honestly, a woman can go if she wants, but most women are not usually war ready, no im not being sexist, its just common sense, drafting. Ya ok, if people dont get drafted, only volunteers would go, how many people would that be. The only way to get people on the battlefield is by draft, sure people have patriotism, but people are reminded, if you go, you may never see your loved ones again, and no one wants to go through that, but draft, is the only way to push them towards it, if they dont want to do it, then im sure i they can back out.

P.S. I dont know if they can back out

Well it is men's fault that women are not prepared? Why should men have to suffer for a woman's mistake?

-Ya ok, if people dont get drafted, only volunteers would go, how many people would that be.

-Well, if very few people volunteer, maybe that is telling you something-that people don't believe in the war. Do you think that just because the government wants war, that it is justified?

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
consider... if you lose the war, you might get jacked in your hometown if the war is away from the country and the enemy decides to counter

nabbig2

Reaction score
consider... if you lose the war, you might get jacked in your hometown if the war is away from the country and the enemy decides to counter

There are alternatives to war. Instead of the government provoking the other country, if it listened to thepeople, it could make peaceful relations instead.
Besides, I'm pretty confident people would volunteer if their country was in danger-take Iraq for example, they volunteer as suicide bombers to protect their homeland.

I think that deciding to get involved in wars should be up to the people, not the government.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
well, think about what the government controls now, you think they are going to give us freedom to fight? hardly

Undead Me

Reaction score
Erm, you guys know we have a 100% volunteer army now right? No one is ever drafted anymore. NO ONE. Therefore all volunteer armies DO work because people ARE patriotic enough and because the government offers incentives.

And women are just as capable of walking through a desert as men Varine, consider the natives of the Sahara. 50% of them are women. Guess what? They live nearly their whole lives in the desert, or at east they used to.

nabbig2

Reaction score
well, think about what the government controls now, you think they are going to give us freedom to fight? hardly

Yes...but do you think it's a good thing that the government controls us?

Undead Me, I know there is no draft going on right now, but who is to say there will never be one again?

Undead Me

Reaction score
Government doesn't control us... we have nearly complete freedom with what to do with our own lives. We are simply restricted from messing with other people.

The capitalists will fight the remote possibility of another draft. It is against our religious belief in a free market.

nabbig2

Reaction score
Government doesn't control us... we have nearly complete freedom with what to do with our own lives. We are simply restricted from messing with other people.

The capitalists will fight the remote possibility of another draft. It is against our religious belief in a free market.

Oh boy. As much as our government does provide us with a certain amount of freedom and protection-I would not consider them giving us "near complete freedom". When the US government goes to war, it enlists men and forces them to fight in a war that they might not even want to participate. How can you consider that freedom?

"We are simply restricted from messing with other people."

Can you please clarify what "messing with other people" means? If you mean attacking them, the government does not restrict it's soldiers from killing and bombing other countries. We are certainly not restricted in that manner; all one has to do is be trained as a soldier, and be shipped off to war to cause death and destruction.

"The capitalists will fight the remote possibility of another draft. It is against our religious belief in a free market"

What religious belief? I hope you are aware that everybody does not follow one set of religious beliefs.

Anyway, I do hope that people would fight a mandatory draft-in my opinion it is downright wrong. But drafting people for war has nothing to do with a Free Market-A Free Market is where the government does not interfere with the country's economy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.