Siphon mana can't target player units?

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to create an ability based on Siphon mana.

*First: I have a unit: Death vortex that my hero will summon.

*Second: I want my hero to cast a skill named Negative Energy drain (based on Siphon mana) on the death vortex.

*Third: When negative energy is cast on the Death vortex the Death vortex will cast life drain on nearby enemys. (I dont need help with this)

*Problem: I can't get the Negative Energy drain skill to target my Death vortex! when I try to cast it, it sais that I must target an enemy unit! Problem is that it cant be an enemy unit because it will attack me. And I dont want it to be an enemy. Changing the Death vortex "targeted as" to enemy unit won't help.

Thanks//Ragnar Rök

the Immortal

I know, I know...
Reaction score
The spell can transfer mana too. Just check the "Drain Transfers Mana" and if u want to transfer mana from the caster to the unit, set the "Mana Transferred Per Second" to positive; if you want it to transfer from the unit to the caster, set it to negative.

swb90

Reaction score
The spell can transfer mana too. Just check the "Drain Transfers Mana" and if u want to transfer mana from the caster to the unit, set the "Mana Transferred Per Second" to positive; if you want it to transfer from the unit to the caster, set it to negative.

o...u mean siphon mana cant automatically transfer mana to a fellow unit unless it is editted in the WE? damn...i tot it was possible...silly me kpt trying to do tt......

swb90

Reaction score
dun Destroyers drain their own mana instead of others? i think what he wans to do is to drain another unit's mana...so basing it off Siphon Mana could work better =)

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
Is the Negative Energy spell suppose to do anything at all?

Yes it is supposed to drain mana from the Deathvortex and cause (with triggers) the deathvortex to cast life drain on enemys under the deathvortex (only to kill them not to keep the deathvortex alive beacuse it is invulnerable)

The Deathvortex is a flying unit whitout attack with a modelfile of a large scaled possession target art. Looks really cool, like a vortex that you could get sucked into if you get too close.
And as long as the hero keeps draining it's mana it will keep sucking enemys into it.

Nice but I still cant get it to target my own units :(

Why not just use Destroyers Drain mana ability ?

The destroyers "Absorb mana" ability takes all mana (up to its maximum capacity) from a friendly unit and gives it to him instantly. Altough this works, it doesn't create the effect that Im looking for..

Thanks everyone! but if anyone can't come up with an other idea I'll have to make it work with some more triggers. Think i know how but it feels like when I have like 20-30 abiltys on my map using triggers of different kinds it will make the map lag pretty much. :banghead:

Zakyath

Reaction score
You really think? Haha, no.

But well, use the action 'Unit - Set mana of YourUnit to mana of YourUnit+/-10

This will drain 10 mana. You'll have to make two of this, one should be + and one -. And turning on a trigger with those that does it every second could work, but don't forget to turn it off!

Ragnar Rök

Reaction score
Lightning effect possible to change?

Now I have come to this solution:
The Deathvortex will simply kill an enemy unit (nonhero,organic), each attack deals 500000 damage, every third second.
Giving the caster 50 mana for every kill.
I used the Tornado ability because it makes my hero stand channel the deathvortex for the duraition.

Code:
Death Vortex feed
    Events
        Unit - A unit Is attacked
    Conditions
        (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Death vortex
    Actions
        Lightning - Create a Drain Life lightning effect from source (Position of (Attacking unit)) to target (Position of (Attacked unit))
        Wait 0.70 seconds
        Lightning - Destroy (Last created lightning effect)
        Lightning - Create a Drain Mana lightning effect from source (Position of (Random unit from (Units of type Necros of Storm))) to target (Position of (Attacking unit))
        Unit - Set mana of (Random unit from (Units of type Necros of Storm)) to ((Mana of (Random unit from (Units of type Necros of Storm))) + 50.00)
        Wait 0.70 seconds
        Lightning - Destroy (Last created lightning effect)

There are just one thing I'd like different: The Lightning effects seems to be on the ground and my deathvortex is flying, well that just don't look good! Is this possible to change?

L

Lordbevan

U can make siphon work on allies, the trick lies in flagging the correct field in Gameplay constants.

Quauhtli

I have the right to remain silent.
Reaction score
as I said,
u can just use Dark Ritual, and change the Dark Vortex to an undead

swb90

Reaction score
It's impossible to cast siphon mana on an allied target. From what i've heard, it's programmed into the spell, and even changing the targets won't allow it. Some spells are just like that I guess.

correction =)...it can target allied units...BUT instead of draining mana from that target....the caster *lets say for eg. Blood Mage* transfer a certain amt of his own mana to the target...tis can only b done if the target actually has a mana pool *duh =)*

Ragnar Rok --> go to advanced - Gameplay Constants, and click on "Use Custom Gameplay Constants", scroll down till you find Gameplay - Drain Transfers Mana, double click and tick the box. Siphon Mana will then b able to transfer mana =)

Jus for fun, you can make Life Drain work in the same way, go to object editor and edit everything according to Siphon Mana...but instead of putting the values in the "Mana" field...place it in the "Life" field...do the same thing as Siphon Mana, go to Gameplay Constants -blah blah- ....ur unit can then "heal" another unit using his own life....im not sure if this will actually kill the caster unit if he is low on hp...but hey its fun =)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.