Tutorial Skinning (In MSpaint) and Exporting models

M

metal chao

This is a followup to somebody elses tutorial here: http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?p=345492#post345492

So I suggest you read that first, but not his sequel to it.
It's a good sequel, but I have figured out a better way to do it.
Credit to Aquter for inspiration and showing me the program though.

Ok, so, Load up War3 Model Editor and load up your model that you want to skin/change the skin of. I picked the sheep critter, because sheep are cool, but not that complicatedl.
49629660xv2.png

Once you have done that, open up the material manager, by clicking under Windows, and the texture manager.
Next, find the texture for the body of your model in the texture manager and right click on it. (If you are skinning an unskinned model, use the skin of the model you edited it from instead, so open that)
92176353ps3.png

(You can do this if the names don't make it clear, by clicking the strings of letters and numbers in the material manager, and the same things in the window that pops up, setting the drop box under Texture ID to something else and seeing what changes).

Choose Export and save it somewhere. Remember to add the phrase ".bmp" after the name or it won't work.
58217078ij0.png

After that, open the .bmp file in paint.
You will have a confusing jumble of body parts.
55865790vt8.png

This, however, makes it easy to see what goes where. Edit in whatever you want, save it with a different name and then go back to war3modeleditor.
21035418lr6.png

Open the texture manager again, right click anywhere and select import. Choose your texture and click open.
79734421ql1.png

Now go to the material manager and double click on the material thing from the list, to find the one that contains the skin you edited.
67633097zp4.png

Using the dropdown box, change the texture to your new one, and click ok.
71592479el9.png

Congratulations! You have now reskinned your model.
Save it (Make sure you do this a lot) and replace the skin in it's potrait file too (if it has one).
23476530xq3.png

Now, I am sure you want to use your new model in warcraft III.
To do that, open your model and click save as.
Save it somewhere and type .mdx after the name (if you type .mdl it won't work.)
10vp7.png

If you are using a custom skin, go into the texture manager, right click that and export it to the same place as the model. This time put .blp after the name (not .bmp or .mdx, it's .blp).
11qx7.png

Now, go into the warcraft III world editor and click on the Import Manager.
Click import and put in all the files. Double click them both and remove the bit saying /WC3imported or whatever it is as well.
12jv3.png

Now, save the map and turn off the world editor (Annoyingly, you need to restart the world editor to get imported models to work. You have to do this every time you add a new model. But if you need to add a lot, you could import all of them at once and then restart to save time. However this might make it a bit less easy to find what you want.)
Now, assign your model to a unit, and you are done!
Once again, thanks to Aquter for the guide to editing models that showed me this program.

LordOglog

Reaction score
Only like the 80th tut on the subject but this is a good 1 i suggest you make the images smaller because at the moment they just fill up the screen.

M

metal chao

Just... MSPaint is like the worst program on earth except for pasting screenshots and saving it lol

Then take this is "the tutorial for people who can't be bothered to download stuff" then.
I don't really care.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's a bad tutorial - it's fine. I just think that if people wanna skin they should get a good program >.<"

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
One question: Why did you make this?
I keep wanting to add comments to this but I don't want to antagonise you.

SoupNBread

Reaction score
Good tutorial, but it isn't very useful other than maybe making an inverted map where everything has inverted color.

M

metal chao

One question: Why did you make this?
I keep wanting to add comments to this but I don't want to antagonise you.

Don't worry, I don't really mind that much if people thing my tutorial is a useless piece of rubbish.

This is just if someone just wants to use MSpaint for whatever reason, or if they're on holiday or something and have to use somebody elses computer that only has MSPaint.
I mean, just saying "lol whats the point of making an MSPaint tutorial because I have GIMP or whatever program that was" is just like "lol whats the point of making a WCIII RoC WE tutorial, I have the WCIII TFT WE!".
Just because you have a program doesn't mean that somebody else does, wants to, or is in any kind of cirumstance to have it too.

I am in a circumstance to get GIMP or Photoshop or whatever, I am just currently more interested in making really weird looking skins than actual ones.
Like replacing the footman texture with the corpse texture on the footman model.
That actually works pretty good if you put some blue flames on it

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
thanks metal chao for this cool skinning tutorial <3

it teaches me some stuff, and the best part is using mspaint!

its hard for me to do the 120x80 using photoshop @_@

+rep

lh2705

Just another Helper
Reaction score
I like the black sheep.. haha
Anyways its good as a small tutorial on how to skin...

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
Doing things with MSPaint is just waaaay toooo coool ! :D Man that shows you just need time not fancy programs. That sheep is like from out of Space :p +rep Nice work !

chovynz

We are all noobs! in different states of Noobism!
Reaction score
Don't worry, I don't really mind that much blah blah blah.
That actually works pretty good if you put some blue flames on it

Well since you don't mind, I'll carry on then. I do agree with Sooda that it's cool that you've used MSPaint. I also agree that all you need is time if you really want to do something. If you have a one bristel paintbrush you can still create a masterpiece. That being said I do think this is a waste of space and time tutorial. There's so little info that...It's like..."This is how to move your mouse cursor upwards; Push your hand away from you." Bear in mind I am a graphic designer so these comments are from that perspective.

This is my reactions to this tutorial and my reasons why.
  • I like the original sheep! Nice model to use.
  • I don't like the first screenie of the windows - right under the sheep. It's jumbled and hard to read. It's also been cropped to close to where your working.
  • You use ".bmp":eek: MS paint can handle Jpg fine. why use BMP? that increases the size of the texture. Use Jpg instead.
  • You inverted the nice looking sheep! It's now an evil inverted ugly sheep.
  • Again the window screenies are jumbled...Take a screenshot of each window successively for crying out loud.
  • There's so little info in between all the huge-ass pictures it's hard to read.
  • Hmmm mmm...black arrow, black arrow, black arrow, black arrow, RED arrow, black arrow. Wheres the unity? I know its a LOOK HERE! but it's not really needed with this tutorial.

You seem to have just screenied, pasted, typed & linked. Theres no care in making your tutorial. It's all jumbled and "hasty." Thrown together with no regard to readability, or unity. That's what grates me the most ... not the fact that you've used MSpaint (although there is that BMP vs Jpg issue.)

I prefer using Gimp at the very least because a) it's free, b) it's 1,000 times better than MSPaint. MSPaint is so limited all you can really DO with it is invert. Unless you really want to use that one bristel brush. It's not really about "I mean, just saying "lol whats the point of making an MSPaint tutorial because I have GIMP or whatever program that was" is just like "lol whats the point of making a WCIII RoC WE tutorial, I have the WCIII TFT WE!"".

It's about using tools that are designed for that kind of thing. MSPaint is ... so ... inadequatly (SP) docile it's like saying ... "Lets drive 1,000 miles in our flintstones car just because we can." Why not fly or use the new cars that are designed to go 1,000 miles. In less time. etc.. I've said enough :)

Thanks for reading.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.