Skins - Editing Skins with Photoshop

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Versions:
Part 1 - Editing Skins with Photoshop
Part 2 - The Method

Editing Skins with Photoshop
This tutorial will teach you the basics of editing skins using Photoshop, and how to use them inside the World Editor.

Materials:

-An MPQ viewer and extractor
-A BLP to TGA converter
(Warcraft 3 Viewer and WC3 Image Extractor II have both these functions)
-Photoshop

Extracting the Skin
First, of course, you need to extract the .blp file, do you can edit it. With whatever tool you are using, extract the "HeroTaurenChieftain" skin. Now, if your tool doesn't do this automatically, convert the .blp into a .tga (targa) file. The skin should look like this:
TaurenSkin.jpg

Editing the Skin

Now that you have extracted and converted your skin, open the .tga in Photoshop.
(Note: Notice those black areas covering some parts of the skin? Those are parts of Team Color, that you can see if you turn on the "Alpha 1" channel. You can learn more about editing Team Color with Orc_Tamer's Tutorial )

Team Colors and the Alpha Channel:[/I]
TaurenView.jpg

Now we can start editing our skin any way we like. I started with only two simple and noticeable changes.
First, we will turn the Tauren's leg orange.
What you need to do is use the Lasso Tool to outline the Tauren's leg:

Tauren1.jpg

This is so we only make changes to that one particular section of the skin.
Instead of just painting orange over this area, we can change the Saturation, so we don't lose the hair look.
So once you have the Tauren's leg sectioned off, go to Image >> Adjustments >> Hue/Saturation, or you can use the Hotkey Ctrl+U.
Change the Saturation to +100. This will change the tint of the area to orange, and not ruin the hairy texture of the leg.

Tauren2.jpg

(Note: Are you wondering why you can only see half the Tauren's body? This is to save space. Since both sides of the Tauren are the same, the skin just wraps around the model from both directions. Although this saves space, unfortunately this means you can not have two seperats patterns on both sides)

After the leg is made orange, we can now move on to another small change. To make the Tauren look like he just came out of battle, we can add blood to his axe.
Once again, use the Lasso Tool to section off the edge of the axe. You can use a red brush, or a white brush and apply a color overlay.

The Axe:

Tauren3.jpg

As you can see, I didn't totally section it off perfectly. If this happens to you, deselect the area and use both the brush and the eraser to make it look neater. Just don't spend lot's of time on extremely small details, because you will be dissapointed when you can't see them in-game.

You can change more of the skin, but for this tutorial, those two things are the only changes I made. Now it is time to save and convert back to blp.
(Note: You must save the skin as a Targa file, because bmp and jpg do not hold Alpha channels. If you save it as jpg or bmp and convert it, the blp file will be empty)

Importing into the World Editor
Now is finally the time you get to see your skin on the model :)
Open up a new or existing map and open the Import Manager. Select Import File and open your new skin.
As of now, your skin won't do anything. You must change the path of the skin so the Import Manager knows where to put it.
Go back to your Extracting tool you used to extract the skin. It should show you the path that it was assigned. Change the path inside the Import Manager to the correct one. Here, we used the Tauren Chieftain Hero skin, which uses the path "Units\Orc\HeroTaurenChieftain\HeroTaurenChieftain.blp"
(Note: You can learn more about Importing Skins with Archian's Tutorial)

Tauren4.jpg

Seeing the Skin
Once you have imported and corrected the path, save and exit the World Editor. Once it closes, reopen it. Now, when you place a Tauren Chieftain on the map, you will see that his legs are orange, and his axe has blood on it!
Tauren5.jpg

I hope this tutorial helped you, and that you can now create new and more creative skins to further customize your map :D

Also, if you don't mind, I would like to see any skins that this tutorial helped/inspired you to make. That would make me very happy :)

Side Note: I will not be here for a week starting in half an hour (10:00, 23 June, Eastern Time), so comments are still welcome, but I will not be able to make changes for awhile. Thanks :)

L

lascha

very usefull, learned a few more things about PS ^_^ Thanks

(Note: You must save the skin as a Targa file, because bmp and jpg do not hold Alpha channels. If you save it as jpg or bmp and convert it, the blp file will be empty)

When I made my skins last week, I edited them in PS and saved them as .bmp. Converted the .bmp into .blp and imported via Import Manager, skin worked. The skin was from Units\Critters\VillagerKid\VillagerKid.blp.

D

Dino.pl

Good for people who know nothing about photoshop (like me).
But it would be cool if I learned anything more than changing the tauren's leg color...

D

Dino.pl

corvusHaunt said:
But, tell me what you want to know, and I can add it in :)
Hmm...
Say I want my tauren to have a chain.
What to do? :)

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
It is only needed for Team Color and Alpha Skinning, so it isn't that important. Then again, I guess it is, but I don't know much about channels, so you might want to bring that up on Orc_Tamer's tutorial.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Well, the same question was asked there, but nobody answered. Anyway, I'm using Photo Impact to edit skins, but this thing with Photoshop 7 intrigues me.

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
That is in fact a huge typo :p
Why did you not post that in the other one?
And is that the only thing you have to say on it? :(

EDIT: Fixed the typo on Part 2

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
Whitesock said:
I'm also busy at work doing my android zergling. I'm just over halfway done in an hour!
Inspired by my tutorial? Cool! If you don't mind, I'd like to see it when you are done :) . That is a really awsome idea...

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
I'm glad my tutorial at least helped someone.

P.S.- I would be pleased if you would send the skin to me in a PM or something, I would like to see it : )

P.S.S.- Please bump my other tutorial = )

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh...this won't be done by tonight...have to start from scratch. THE GIMP froze and my CPU usage skyrocketed from 1-5% to 99% and my saving didn't save :( . I can have it done by tomorrow night though.

EDIT: Have to get off and get some sleep. I have nothing to do tomorrow so I'm going to do that all day AND check the save every 5 min option :D .

killbuzz

Reaction score
Problem...

when i restarted the editor the tauren chieftan came out bright red and only the back wood part showed up. anybody know whats wrong? :banghead:

morno

Reaction score
thx this really helped me :) i have edit blademaster.. i will make a gallery later on whit all my work so you all can see me devilept :)

Reflexar

Reaction score
When i imported the skin to my map i couldn't find it when i was going to change the model of a unit, so i couldn't use it, Why!?

Thx for a really good tutorial, i just learned everything i know about skinning in this tutorial :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.