Skins - Import a Skin

A

Archian

How to Import a Skin
by Archian

This is just like importing models and icons, except for the custom path(s) ofcause.

Step 1: Get the Skin.
For this tutorial im going to use the Mecha-Giant skin by timfarman at www.wc3campaigns.net
Download it here from the topic where it's been posted http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?p=794732#post794732

Picture:
MechaGiant.JPG

Where can I find downloadable skins?
www.wc3campaigns.net
www.wc3sear.ch
http://saga.samods.org/wc3.html

Download it, and extract the files into a folder.
Make sure that the skin(s) are in .blp format.

Step 2: The Import Manager
Click on the Import Manager (F12) in the tool tip menu.
1.jpg

(The tooltip menu)

2.jpg

(Import Manager Icon)

Then click on File, Import File (Ctrl+I) or Import Files (Ctrl+Shift+I) if you want to import more then one file.
3.jpg

NOTE – You can also click on the icon shown within the import manager to import a file.

4.jpg

(Import File (Ctrl+I))

Step 3: Import the Skin
Then browse through your files and find the skin you want to import.

Step 4: Custom Paths
You will probably notice that the imported file show a path like
"war3mapImported\???.blp".
This is incorrect and you need to edit it.

NOTE - Paths are usually different depending on the creator, the creator of a model or a skin chooses the path which the model/skin needs in order to work probably.

To edit a path of an imported file you double click the imported file and then check/enable the "Use custom path" checkbox. Now enter the correct path.
5.jpg

The path for this skin is Textures\MountainGiant.blp

NOTE – Usually creators write the paths for the models/skins so people know what path they should use so they don’t have to try all kinds of paths.

After you’ve entered the correct path, click on OK.

Step 5: Save the Map and close it.

NOTE - You could also change the Preferences of the editor, click File - preferences - Video - change detail of models and textures, click ok, reset these settings. This will force Warcraft to reload all the models and textures.

Step 6: Open the Map
Your skin should now appear in game.
Since this skin is based on The Mountain Giant the skin can be found at the Art – Model File under the Mountain Giant, notice that the model now uses a new skin.

General:
If you can’t see the skin, try place the unit on the map.
If it doesn’t appear there, it’s either bugged or else the custom path is wrong.

lesson

Reaction score
good tutorial, this may prove useful to some unfamiliar with this.
this should be moved to the tutorial section.

good job ;)

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
That it should! I always hated to import, it was annoying. I still think it is :rolleyes:

Great Job! The pictures are a great addition.

A

Archian

well it's up to a moderator or admin to decide wether this is approved or moved to the bin.

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
EVen though i know how to do this...i wish i had this tutorial when i was a noob to help me...sigh al lthe things i needed in the past come out these days...and now i don't need them..anyways

good tutorial 5/5 nice and clear

A

Archian

yes, this can prove useful for those who have trouble with this.

THE_X

Reaction score
i would like to make skins but i dont know what program to use or if i even need 1 would plz help?

Z

Zero R.

Photoshop. and maybe a modeling program. I'm not sure. I don't skin or model.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Photoshop is defiatly the way to go (I heard) I don't know because I don't ever feel like skinning or modelling.

Wcsear.ch is the best for selection, but gets a lot of lag, and can take a long time. In the end, it's the best in my opinion because of selection.

saga.samods.org Is faster, though has very little amount of skins and models. Though is defiantly faster.

Also, the golem skin is nice, looks kinda neat :)

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for letting know about this Archian. Approved! :D

B

BxBillyBones

Oh god thanks you!! I have been looking for how to get some stuff rite!

Z

ZeRo.O

The skins will not load for me. Your tutorial is great, but I followed it 3 times and it still comes up as a green and black checkered box

Z

ZeRo.O

Oh never mind, it works now, I forgot to Save and leave and then go back in

(sorry for double post)

X

xflip04

ok so i did all your steps and i was going to enter this skin

http://www.wc3sear.ch/index.php?p=Skins&ID=3790&sid=

i imported it and everything and it is a blp. from wc3search.

how do i make it so the texture is a priestess instead of war3mapImported\Forest Priestess.blp

i noticed in your example that you customized it Textures\MountainGiant.blp

how do i find the path for a priestess?

thanks

M

Meintool

Does this overwrite the mountain giant? hey if it does, does it do for the whole game or that map only?

M

Meintool

OH and i love you thanks for this tutorial. i looked at the one on the main site and alot of other tutorials and i never got the custom file path right. Really thank you im off to loading my models on the mAP now... can't express my gratitude any better im not good with words.

just want you to know that this helped.. A LOT a whole LOT damn you know how boring a map is without custom units, THANK YOU!!!

morno

Reaction score
i have made a skin for villagerman and i dont know the path for it.. please help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.