Technology Skype founders unveil internet TV service

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The co-founders of internet telephone service Skype on Tuesday unveiled their new project, which they hope will transform the broadcasting industry.

Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, who sold Skype for $2.6 bn to eBay in 2005, have been developing the new service, to deliver high-quality live television over the internet. Previously codenamed the Venice Project, the new service called Joost, will evolve from its beta testing phase to a full launch within six months.

Chief executive Fredrik de Wahl said Joost would combine the best features of broadcast television - a near-DVD quality and full-screen picture - with the best features of the internet, such as the ability to create personalised channels, chat to like-minded viewers and reschedule programmes on the move.

"People are looking for increased choice and flexibility in their TV viewing experience, while the entertainment industry needs to retain control over their content," said Mr de Wahl. "With Joost, we've married that consumer desire with the industry's interests."

Last edited:

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine using this service. I'd hate to have to search the internet, find the show out of millions of others to watch, and wait for my extremely slow internet connection to start streaming... when I can just pick up the remote and push a button.

King TonGoll

ORLY?*DDR*
Reaction score
one word. you tube.

I'll stick with you tube untill *ehem* "Copy copyrighted" anime is dominant over there then youtube.

Vulcansurge

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Yes... i like youtube and google video. hehe :D

Just cant imagine watching whole tv shows on something so pixelated and grainy.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
The quality of the videos is not bad for free (on YouTube and other places) and this type of stuff is just starting out so the quality is only going to get better over time. Sounds like a natural progression. I am one of those people that Cable and TV lost to the computer. I rarely watch any TV outside of DVDs and stuff on the computer. I used to be a TV Addict.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
The quality of the videos is not bad for free (on YouTube and other places) and this type of stuff is just starting out so the quality is only going to get better over time. Sounds like a natural progression. I am one of those people that Cable and TV lost to the computer. I rarely watch any TV outside of DVDs and stuff on the computer. I used to be a TV Addict.

Quoted for the truth. Before I had the comp, most of my time at-home, I was watching TV. Now I watch TV once in month or so...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.