Slight Laptop Increase FPS

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Hey, I'm hoping i can get the real story here.

I'm looking to increase the FPS of my stock Presario CQ50 by around 5-15 for the following games; Team Fortress 2, CS:S, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 dead 2.

I've read thus far that two things should work. However, i am skeptical.

1. Overclocking, I'm fairly certain this will work, but I've never done this before and don't want to pwn my laptop. If it's reasonably safe, however, I'm willing to take the risk.

If you believe this option will work, please give me some input on how to go about this or were to find a accurate guide.

Chipset : nVidia GeForce 8200m

2. Getting Vista 64bit, i haven't looked into this much yet. I read it on some forum off in the deep dark corners of the interwebz. Will this work? Is it a download or do i have to buy a new copy of vista?

Thanks for and replies i get! :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If your RAM is not >4GB, then getting Vista 64 bit will make no difference.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
then upgrading to 64bit will give you about .8 gb of more ram, which would help

also as far as OCing, especially with laptops, there are limitations, mainly heat, so always take it slowly, a small increase at a time, and then stress test to make sure it's stable (memtest and prime95) as well as looking at the temps

also, before doing the above, try setting the priority of the game you want to high (using task manager) and closing background programs (explorer.exe and then re-run it once your done gaming can make a significant difference to name an example)

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Update your drivers.

With a laptop I wouldn't overclock because you don't have the ability to add cooling if needed (most likely needed).

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies, i managed to gain the fps through more customization of the options and setting it as high priority.

However, is their a way i can set the programs to be auto-high priority?

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Vista is a better OS than XP, so if you want better performance and better everything you should get Vista.
However, Windows 7 is even better, so you should get that instead.

Overclocking should work, but I don't recommend it.

You can also lower your in-game graphics, remove a lot of junk from your computer, and download the latest graphics drivers.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
i dont see vista as being better then XP for gaming, it uses up more resources and does more things, but those dont matter when it comes to gaming

also i think it's implied that he has vista x32 already

if that is the case, then you can install vista x64 using the same key as for your x32 installation, however they cannot both exist on the same physical drive (partitioned or not) without major problems

and i dont know of any easy way to automatically set a process to high priority, maybe someone else can inform us

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Alright, I did some more reading and i've got another round of questions.

64 bit

So i suppose I've gatta upgrade to 64 bit, sounds like no big deal.

However, i've read that thiers not many drivers which are compatible with 64 bit.

The articles however, is a tad dated. Is this still true (specifically for my hardware)?

Also, i've got my hard drive partitioned to vista 32 and linux mint. I plan on adding back track soon as well. Will 64 bit vista mess with any of my partitions other than 32 bit vista?

overclocking

Well, i also suppose ill have to buckle down and give this shot even if its a minimal increase.

Could someone point me in the right direct of the correct software? I've looked already but im totaly in the dark on this subject.

corrections

My laptop is not stock. I've increased the RAM to 4GB.

Thanks for any replies.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
as far as the drivers go, you should be able to find everything you need at HP's web site, but check first

and there is no real software involved, you do it in the BIOS and then use something like speedfan to monitor temps, that's it, no program to magically do it for you

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey, I'm hoping i can get the real story here.

I'm looking to increase the FPS of my stock Presario CQ50 by around 5-15 for the following games; Team Fortress 2, CS:S, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 dead 2.

I've read thus far that two things should work. However, i am skeptical.

1. Overclocking, I'm fairly certain this will work, but I've never done this before and don't want to pwn my laptop. If it's reasonably safe, however, I'm willing to take the risk.

If you believe this option will work, please give me some input on how to go about this or were to find a accurate guide.

Chipset : nVidia GeForce 8200m

2. Getting Vista 64bit, i haven't looked into this much yet. I read it on some forum off in the deep dark corners of the interwebz. Will this work? Is it a download or do i have to buy a new copy of vista?

Thanks for and replies i get! :thup:

Easy fix:

Lower you settings in game. Simple as that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.