Report Smacking can lower children's IQ, research claims

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
SMACKING, long used by parents to discipline naughty children, could cause more than tears.

Research revealed it can also lower a child's IQ, with those smacked up to three times a week having a lower IQ due to psychological stress.

US-based sociologist Professor Murray Straus, who studied the impact of smacking for 40 years, likened the effects of corporal punishment to post-traumatic stress, affecting a child's mental development.

He called on governments to outlaw corporal punishment.

Read more about it here

Last edited:

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked my IQ was 137 and my mom beat the living shit out of as a kid... sooo? and yes Jesus4Lyf discipline did help me reach college :rolleyes:

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Last I checked (5+ years ago?) my IQ was 136 and I didn't get smacked around as a child.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I agree with you people, this got to be a false report or something:(

I got punished physically in home and school and I manage pretty well anyway. Not sure about my IQ tho, I have never done anything to test it:eek:

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
I got the occasional physical punishment, and the last I checked my IQ properly (about 2-3 years ago) it was 140.
Despite that I have never performed paticularly excellently in exams and such (the stress gets to me).
Still, I'm here at Uni now, and I am thankful that I at least knew how to treat people with proper respect, while still knowing what bullshit I shouldn't have to take.

chanta45

Reaction score
Yah, what the hell is this crap.

It was rough, I got beat for doing certain things but in the long run I would say it definitely helped me out. Teaches you respect, first and foremost, and after that they can teach you anything.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
everything is changing

Years ago, child abuse was called discipline
Following your woman is now called stalking
Praying is now bad (all from george lopez :p)

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Complete and utter bullshit...
Just because some stupid kids were smacked as a kid, doesn't mean thats why they're stupid. Kids are stupid now a days because they don't go outside and are constantly stuck on videogames.

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
Bull or not, if it gets people to stop beating their children...
And don't say a damn thing about me not knowing what I'm talking about. I've seen one year old hits getting hit (hit, not smacked/slapped, and hit pretty hard. (it was reported)) for crying in a store.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Yah, what the hell is this crap.
Teaches you respect, first and foremost, and after that they can teach you anything.

+1

There was a stand-up on this on Youtube by Russell Peters called Beat Your Kids or something like that, its hilarious.

But yeah, I would absolutely have to agree with you.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
Kids are stupid now a days because they don't go outside and are constantly stuck on videogames.

I disagree. Videogames have made me a lot smarter over the years and generally searching the internet has made my writing, reading, and english skills so much better than anyone in my year. Hehe, even Runescape taught me a few things when I played it years back.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ya. ok, lets ground them, im sure THAT works

Lower IQ from smackingz are probably people that have yet to realize the bigger picture.

Things that hurt, instruct -Benjamin Franklin

Lyerae

Reaction score
Haha grounding does nothing.
Trust me. I've been grounded more times than I'd like to admit to.

Lyerae

Reaction score
I lol'd.
But I'm complete serious. As a matter-of-fact, I'm grounded right now.
I'm only online now because I have my iPod Touch.

chanta45

Reaction score
LOL, Exactly! You are proving the point, grounding does nothing. So, you are stuck in your room, woopdie hell. Kids are pretty damn sneaky but they can't avoid a quick slap to the rear.

I've heard some horror stories of parents having the police called on them because little kids learn at school that if mommy or daddy hits them they can have the good police people make it stop... It gets pretty ridiculous, the kid is just angry at losing and trys to get back at the parents without realizing what he/she is doing. But, abuse is something to be taken seriously though, parents who abuse should be taken away.

Off topic, again stupid article.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Actually (according to what I understand of the law), anything more than a slap is considered abuse (although I may be wrong).

And a good bit of these cases are real abuse. Not just the kid lying.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.