Report Smacking can lower children's IQ, research claims

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
This might be true if they smacked their heads really hard.....like with a frying pan or something

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
My parents never really hit me. My dad did a few times, then when I was 16 I tried to fight back and that was... bad. They did light slaps every once in a while to make me pay attention, but he rarely hit me hard enough that it actually was like "Holy shit he hit me!"

They did the grounding thing, but they did it right. Like I didn't get shit. When I was little I was put into the little room with nothing in it and they gave me a book, then when I was older they figured out I didn't care and did whatever I wanted anyway, and so my dad took parts from my car until I was allowed to leave again (we leaved like half an hour driving from the nearest town). My dad thought it would be cool to drive me to school and walk me to my first class just to be sure I went. They didn't fuck around with grounding.

good police people make it stop

I wish I could have pulled that shit at my house. When I was little we lived in Russia and Ukraine and honestly, where we lived you would be lucky if the police came as you were being shot. Not because there was a lot of crime, but they just weren't that good of police. Plus if I did actually get one to come when I was little, that would be the end of anything fun ever again. Where I live now, I accidentally dialed 911 on my cell phone (not sure how exactly) and they demanded to know where I was so a cop could come be sure it was all okay.

But, abuse is something to be taken seriously though, parents who abuse should be taken away.

Yeah but there's a huge line between abuse and punishment. I mean some kids just need to be slapped, like the little kid running around the grocery store or restaurant screaming and yelling and crying because their parents said no to some stupid thing. Like those kids need to be slapped. I mean, if I saw someone abusing a kid I would beat the shit out of them without thinking about it, but hitting them with a relatively light slap isn't much (it kinda hurts when your little).

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I disagree. Videogames have made me a lot smarter over the years and generally searching the internet has made my writing, reading, and english skills so much better than anyone in my year. Hehe, even Runescape taught me a few things when I played it years back.

I said smarter not intelligent, there is a difference. Trust me, you -will- be lacking needed skills in life if you play videogames constantly and don't get out and meet people and do things. You can deny it all you want, and I'm sure you will as it's assumed you're a gamer, but one day you'll understand what I'm talking about...

Video games help hand/eye coordination, yes. But as for helping you with other things in life, such as social interaction and what to do in x situations, no. Unless you're, for some weird reason, getting attacked by some dude with an epic level 80 2handed staff, you're not gonna know much if you don't get out and do -real- things that people are meant to do.

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
In my opinion, if an adult has to use violence to prove their point in an argument with their child, they've already lost. It's cowardly and degrading for the child.

I have a hard time imagining how it would lower IQ though.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
I got the occasional physical punishment, and the last I checked my IQ properly (about 2-3 years ago) it was 140.
Despite that I have never performed paticularly excellently in exams and such (the stress gets to me).
Still, I'm here at Uni now, and I am thankful that I at least knew how to treat people with proper respect, while still knowing what bullshit I shouldn't have to take.

I love how everyone thinks they are a genious.....

The stupid person thinks he's as smart or smarter than the smart person. And therein lies his stupidity.

this guys states it so simply....
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QA0gjyXG5O0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QA0gjyXG5O0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I believe the study, in all honesty, because they state that the children were smacked 3 times a week. I personally was smacked as a child, but not to that degree. I learned my lesson(s) every time I was punished, and would behave better next time.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well in my time I'm going to keep the generation going, it's my tradition and my culture to continue to hit kids and for 3 reasons:

1. Grounding does nothing
2. No hitting makes kids spoiled
3. Verbal fighting has no effect to a kid.

Who's with me? :)

This is generation is too pansy about child hitting, remember in the good o' days when teachers used to hit the kids in class? yea... i bet you those kids are all geniuses now...

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I seriously hope that you're joking.

Yes because the last time I said "Fuck you mom" was um... never? and have you ever told a sibling or kid not to touch your stuff and 5 seconds later they do it anyways.. there is no punishment or regrets, but if you smack the little bastard he will think twice before trying again. Sort of works like shock therapy.

T.s.e

Reaction score
In my opinion, physical punishment belongs to the medieval world. Children are humans, they understand it when you're mad. Resorting to slapping is just another way of saying that you admit defeat in the argument, it's just plain cowardly.

Physical punishment may work for some, but that doesn't justify that you're assaulting someone that's incapable of defending themselves, and that's only because you're at loss for words, unable to resort to anything except punishment of the 50's.

chanta45

Reaction score
In my opinion, physical punishment belongs to the medieval world. Children are humans, they understand it when you're mad. Resorting to slapping is just another way of saying that you admit defeat in the argument, it's just plain cowardly.

Physical punishment may work for some, but that doesn't justify that you're assaulting someone that's incapable of defending themselves, and that's only because you're at loss for words, unable to resort to anything except punishment of the 50's.

To be completely honest, I wish kids could develop quickly enough to understand the result of their actions, that would be perfect. Kids can understand when you are mad yes, but what they do after that depends on them, some whine non stop (Like I did), some throw temper tantrums, others start crying and screeching.... It all depends right, they haven't developed alot of the psychological and social skills yet. Ever take a look at Piagets stages of development? Not true for everyone, but a general guideline.
http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/piaget.shtml

I'm all for getting on your knees, eye to eye with your child, and discussing what they did wrong, but if they continue to shriek at me and knock things over then yes they are going to get a cuff to the rear. Assault is a completely different thing, the most a parent should have to do is give the kid a good spank if he/she is being completely unreasonable.

:D Lol gotta love TH, such good debates

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Well in my time I'm going to keep the generation going, it's my tradition and my culture to continue to hit kids and for 3 reasons:

1. Grounding does nothing
3. Verbal fighting has no effect to a kid.

Who's with me? :)

This is generation is too pansy about child hitting, remember in the good o' days when teachers used to hit the kids in class? yea... i bet you those kids are all geniuses now...

I'm with you, even though I'm only 16. :p

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score

Physical punishment != assaulting, and if it was for you, I'm sorry to hear that. If a kid is whining about wanting something and you go "Out dear, please stop.", it's going to keep whining because it knows nothing is going to happen. Now, if you give the kid a quick spank on the bottom ( and I mean spank, not this "assaulting" you're talking about... ) when s/he is whining, the kids going to go "Woh, I just got spanked and I didn't like it, I better not do that anymore".

Look at animals, like cats. If another cat does something the first cat doesn't like, it'll swat them to let them know it doesn't like it. Why is it any different for humans? Because we have morals? Because we can talk?

Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in beating your kid or severely hitting them, or even hitting them more than once for something, but to say you can't slap em for something they did is completely ignorant. You have fun raising your kids without it, I'm sure it'll be 5x harder. ;)

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
ive been disciplined (smacked around) so much im more disciplined then the kids at my school >.>

Its not a joke when they say "you will think twice before doing it" after being smacked

There is a point where discipline can go too far, but once you "lightly" slap them and they still do it, you have some serious issues to deal with

T.s.e

Reaction score
ive been disciplined (smacked around) so much im more disciplined then the kids at my school >.>
I'm also more diciplined than others at my school, but I haven't been physically reprimanded. Either way, it varies from person to person.

"Out dear, please stop.", it's going to keep whining because it knows nothing is going to happen.
I'm not suggesting that you softly speak to the little bastard, I'm only suggesting that you don't use violence. Loud voices and yelling 'till your face is red is all fine by me.

not this "assaulting" you're talking about...
It can vary from child to child what it feels like. It may not be assault as defined in a dictionary, but the kid doesn't know that. To it, being spanked can feel awful, that someone it trusted suddenly turned on it.

And also, you're supposed to be the moral code of your children, wouldn't resorting to smacking cause the child to think that using violence when not getting its way is the correct way to respond?

Nevertheless, the bottom line is that I'm not supposed to induce any sort of moral code on you, I'm just expressing my opinion ;)

Avaleirra

Is back. Probably.
Reaction score
Well, here's a new idea!

Instead of smacking kids, let's punish them in more original ways like handcuffing them to a flag pole for 6 hours, making them cut the lawn with scissors, and starving them until they listen :D

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? and why?

Well, here's a new idea!
Instead of smacking kids, let's punish them in more original ways like handcuffing them to a flag pole for 6 hours, making them cut the lawn with scissors, and starving them until they listen :D
That's a Terrible Idea, Forget it. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.