Report Smacking can lower children's IQ, research claims

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
handcuffing them to a flag pole for 6 hours,
But my handcuffs are too big to fit securely around a child's wrists!

It really depends on the situation and the persons involved as to whether a child warrants a light smack. I mean to say, I have gotten angry at my younger cousin (he's about 10) before but because I am usually a calm person, he nearly crapped himself when I let loose. When I get really angry and get yelling I can become really loud.
On the other hand, my sister seems immune to shouting and can act a bit spoilt at times (but I would never hit her).

Waaaaagh

I lost all my rep and my title being a jerk
Reaction score
TL;DR, but: Statistics are wonderful. People who were beaten as children aren't more likely to be stupid, stupid people are more likely to have been beaten when they were children.

Family A ($$$):

"Go to your room, and I'm taking your television privileges."
"Awww. Shucks." [does his homework]

Family B ($):

- SMACK! - "Fuck you!"
"I hate you! I'm running away!" [runs away]

Maybe not, but close enough. Low income parents are more likely to:

a) beat their children
b) have stupid children
c) both a and b

Guess -- Go on; guess.

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
TL;DR, but: Statistics are wonderful. People who were beaten as children aren't more likely to be stupid, stupid people are more likely to have been beaten when they were children.

Family A ($$$):

Family B ($):

- SMACK! - "Fuck you!"
"I hate you! I'm running away!" [runs away]

Maybe not, but close enough. Low income parents are more likely to:

a) beat their children
b) have stupid children
c) both a and b

Guess -- Go on; guess.

where did you find this "fact" ? My mother made around 300$ in a month and my dad left me, now I'm in college and have a higher IQ than most average people... yea your idea about income effecting stupidity is wrong, oh FYI the "running away" part is wrong too, kids will never run away 90% of the chance they will return since there isn't any other options to do when your a kid and have no money. "Rich" kids can run away if they take the money with them.

InfectedWithDrew

I used to go here a lot.
Reaction score
I was beat as a child (not hit, beat). It definitely has affected me negatively.

But to think I might have lost aptitude for it? That pisses me off.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
killing brain sells perhaps ?

Mayhap someone was smacked as a child and lost some s(c)ells?

Anyway, I think some kids just are shitty kids. Honestly, like I've seen kids that have had the shit beaten out of them, and they are still psychotically out of control everywhere (or at least they say they were).

And then you got kids that just naturally do whatever, like my sister, who scored IQ off the charts, one of the kids that got a perfect score on the SAT, 4.5 GPA or some god damn thing, and my parents never even threatened to lift a finger on her. I mean yeah she got yelled at a few times, but I mean she was like the perfect kid. Then you got kids like me, where logically I would be the same, being a year and a half younger than her. We grew up in the same enviroment, got the same things, but I was the kid that did whatever the fuck I wanted whenever I wanted. I had a car before I had a license, I parked it in front of a friend's house (who happened to live on a hill so it worked out because I had to pop the clutch) so my parents wouldn't find out, and did a ton of drugs which I lied about so I could join the Army. My sister went off, got accepted to NYU, Harvard, like every Ivy League school she applied for, tuition almost totally paid for, I barely got into community colleges after HS. I about dropped out of school, joined the Army when I was 17 and got as far away from my parents as I could as fast as I could. Sissy stayed around, and she hates me now which is fine because she's a bitch but whatever. The point is, some kids, like me, are just shitty kids, and I mean I don't hate my parents because they hit me ever or because I got in trouble, I mean it helped, definately, but they don't pop out all clones that are going to act the same if they got the same treatment.

moonrose

Reaction score
lol, well i was beaten as a child from a drunk mother and i've turned out pretty successful. i mean i was smacked for everything wrong and right and then some when i was a kid. and look at me i graduated HS and am working on certs and college.
but..
my brother who was beat less because he gave into the system of things, turns to drugs and drops out of school, has no job and no college future.
i think every child should be smacked to a point, but come on grounding is not enough, one of my gf's was never hit and was only grounded, and she turned out spoiled. i believe that if she was smacked every now and then she wouldnt be spoiled, she would know when to stop. lol

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
I agree with most of you here, there is a link between discipline and slapping, I would even say that there is a link between respect and slapping.

I would also say that the line between "disciplinal-slap" and abuse is not that thick as some of you seem to think. Once you hit soft a little and that does not help, it is really easy to start beating. The problem with that form of discipline is that there is many people that don't have that kind of restraint to stop once they have started:(

I can openly say that my dad used to give me a little snap with his fingers on the hand when I tried to touch his tools or something like that. And that really small thing has led to my respect for him. I don't ever think that I would actually respected him without it.

I'm also more diciplined than others at my school, but I haven't been physically reprimanded. Either way, it varies from person to person.

I don't mean to be rude or anythin T.s.e, but are you not ruling out the possibility of you being snapped on the hand or something similiar when you where to young to remember? I am just saying that it could have happened just once without you remembering it.

I even got a minor pat on the back of the head in school when I was not holding the flatware correct(even tho it had been illegal for about 30years before that):p

T.s.e

Wish I was old and a little sentimental
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude or anythin T.s.e, but are you not ruling out the possibility of you being snapped on the hand or something similiar when you where to young to remember?
If I was too young to remember it, it wouldn't have had any effect on my behavior later in life.

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
If I was too young to remember it, it wouldn't have had any effect on my behavior later in life.

That's where you are very wrong my friend. Everything that happens to you in life affects you in some way no matter of you remember it or not.
I for one got one heck of a fear for the dark. I don't really know why I am. There has to be something that I have experienced which have led me to that fear. Other than that it must be something genetic, and if it was that then basically the most of my family and relatives should have the same fear which the do not have. That is why you can NEVER know if there is something that have happened to you that you are not aware of that has affected you.
If you still doubt it, then I got a question for you to think about:
Where did you get your sence of respect from(No guessing allowed)?

Even animals such as wolves, gorillas and other pack animals teach each other respect thru the means of violence. Often the best fighter is the leader, thus the best fighter is the most respected one;)

Waaaaagh

I lost all my rep and my title being a jerk
Reaction score
where did you find this "fact" ? My mother made around 300$ in a month and my dad left me, now I'm in college and have a higher IQ than most average people... yea your idea about income effecting stupidity is wrong, oh FYI the "running away" part is wrong too, kids will never run away 90% of the chance they will return since there isn't any other options to do when your a kid and have no money. "Rich" kids can run away if they take the money with them.

Despite your 'higher IQ', you still decided to make a statistical argument using a single antithetical case, and also ignore some key words like 'not really' and the like, but I won't fault you for the latter; selective recognition and response is the easiest/best way to make an argument.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What makes you think that a hyperactive child would go to his room to do homework?

I was smacked too, a long while ago. When I did something bad, my dad'd come over, and smack me once on my hand. Based on test results, I'm literally top of the school.

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Complete and utter bullshit...
Just because some stupid kids were smacked as a kid, doesn't mean thats why they're stupid. Kids are stupid now a days because they don't go outside and are constantly stuck on videogames.

Your the one to talk senior Farmville. ;)

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
I said smarter not intelligent, there is a difference. Trust me, you -will- be lacking needed skills in life if you play videogames constantly and don't get out and meet people and do things. You can deny it all you want, and I'm sure you will as it's assumed you're a gamer, but one day you'll understand what I'm talking about...

Video games help hand/eye coordination, yes. But as for helping you with other things in life, such as social interaction and what to do in x situations, no. Unless you're, for some weird reason, getting attacked by some dude with an epic level 80 2handed staff, you're not gonna know much if you don't get out and do -real- things that people are meant to do.

:p I'm not that type of gamer, I do have a life and play heaps of sports. But through out my life I have played games occasionally and, believe it or not, it has made me smarter and somewhat more intelligent. But that doesn't mean I exclude the rest of my life, video games come last.

Reaction score
Despite your 'higher IQ', you still decided to make a statistical argument using a single antithetical case, and also ignore some key words like 'not really' and the like, but I won't fault you for the latter; selective recognition and response is the easiest/best way to make an argument.

Mmm. It is interesting that the high IQs in this thread are making such rudimentary mistakes.

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
:p I'm not that type of gamer, I do have a life and play heaps of sports. But through out my life I have played games occasionally and, believe it or not, it has made me smarter and somewhat more intelligent. But that doesn't mean I exclude the rest of my life, video games come last.

I'm agreeing wholeheartedly with you kingbdogz. My manner of typing increased dramatically as a result of playing video games, along with my vocabulary. The advantages of being able to type fast have been absolutely wonderful, especially when you're typing up an essay. Learning about how mannerisms on the internet work is also becoming increasingly important, and that was something I slowly learned over time.

Plus, I Lost My Habit Of Typing The First Letter Of every Word With A Capital Letter As a Result Of Gaming.

Even games offline have been somewhat beneficial - especially with family bonding. The notion that video games make you an isolated freak only applies when it is literally the ONLY thing you ever do, which is rarely ever the case. In this case, you can have your cake and eat it to.

As for the topic on hand, personal experiences mean absolutely nothing in a debate on whether hitting will work or not. I was never hit or even physically abused in any manner, and I'm one of the higher ranks in my school and have all advanced classes. The only times I display resistance to an order is when it is justified, particularly unreasonableness. Does this prove anything? No. We've had stories of the same happening from people being beat. We've had stories of people not being beat and being dumb. They do not move the debate forward.

Azlier

Old World Ghost
Reaction score
>My manner of typing increased dramatically as a result of playing video games, along with my vocabulary.

Asheron's Call taught me written (and lots of spoken) English. People are wanting me to become a writer :(.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.