Health Smoking is 'good for your memory and concentration'

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Smoking can help boost memory and concentration, say scientists. The discovery offers hope of a nicotine pill that mimics these effects to treat Alzheimer's disease.

Experts are developing drugs that copy the active ingredients in tobacco that stimulate the brain without causing heart disease, cancer, stroke or addiction.

The move follows the discovery that nicotine can boost the intelligence and recall ability of animals in laboratory experiments.

The researchers, who present their latest findings at a brain conference today, hope that the new drugs, which will be available in five years, could have fewer side effects than existing medicines for dementia.

Last edited:

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
But smoking itself isn't good for your memory and concentration, right? Because you can't remember anything when you're dead.

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
The discovery offers hope of a nicotine pill...

Sounds like brain-power boost for exams and so on.
(But only for the rich, uh.)

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Smoking isn't good for anything, I'm sorry yes it is, for killing yourself, physically and mentally. Strange how scientists couldn't figure that one out first. We did that by ourselves.

Red Beard

Part-Time helper.... Full Time Lurker
Reaction score
I have long been a smoker. ( Refrain from flaming, I am well aware of the risks, and have accepted them, unless you are a smoker you cannot understand).

I have also long suspected this for quite sometime.

Nicotine IS a stimulant, and excites the brain in an incredible fashion. During my exams I took to using nicorrette tablets and gum as I found it did indeed improve recall.

When theorising, brainstorming or problem solving, I find that I am able to conceptualise and visualise far more effectively.

In short I find it improve my cognitive ability and function.

Its not the nicotine that is the health problem, (although it is a toxic substance and fatal), it is actually the other ingredients used in the production of cigarettes that contain the carcenogens.

I am not supporting, condoning or encouraging people to smoke, it is a deadly habit to take up.

However from my own personal experiences I can support the claims in this report.

Crusher

Reaction score
Smoking is not good.

Why?

Smoking causes Cancer.
Smoking causes reduced Life.
Smoking causes many problems with your health.
Smoking can bring you into -Money.
Smoking is in one Point NOT GOOD.

Draphoelix

It's not the wintercold that's killing me
Reaction score
Even if that's true, it's not an excuse to smoke. More cons than pros.

Crusher

Reaction score
And I didn't mentioned,that Smoke can cause ''Extra'' Pain to those who Have some Pain already (Asma,and so on)..

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Guys, stop being immature. This is about Memory and Concentration, and YES, smoking does help that. No where in this article does it say that smoking is all around good for you, because it's not, so how about we discuss the topic at hand instead of why smoking is bad for you.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You guys are once again missing the point of the article...

They are trying to take the good from cigarettes and manufacture pills that have the goods without the negative side effects. So as DDRtists said, stop complaining about how smoking is bad for you, the article isn't saying smoking is good for you.

Crusher

Reaction score
You guys are once again missing the point of the article...

They are trying to take the good from cigarettes and manufacture pills that have the goods without the negative side effects. So as DDRtists said, stop complaining about how smoking is bad for you, the article isn't saying smoking is good for you.

One word: You want from us to smoke?:D

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
One word: You want from us to smoke?:D

Thats not what they're trying to do.
The stuff that makes you concentrate is NOT the addictive chemical, so therefore if they were to take that and put it in the pill, it would NOT make you want to smoke.

Seriously, you're completely missing the point here, and if you can't get on track, please, just stop posting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.