Snooty or Right?

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I got a response on "Goat Shit". Apparently the reader hated it with a passion. This is what he wrote:

"This is screamingly awful. The writing is as dull as the content. It’s bird-eye view narrative, meaning it’s not a story taking place, it’s a story being told from such a distance that there’s not a hint of immersion in it. The humor was so dry and nonexistent that it falls into this category of satirical babbling. I haven’t read anything this bad in a long time on Dev Art..."

Now, that was rather insulting. In my author comments I wrote that I found the story was funny, and I invite anyone to join in my fun. He apparently read this first, which shouldn't have been done.

----
So, what do you truly think of my writing? Should it be more emotional and exciting or do you enjoy my stale style of writing? Should I just drop writing and go into acting or music where I belong (both can bore the crap out of me if I'm not into it)?
I asked this awhile ago, and people enjoyed the expressive art. Thus I continued doing so, but right now I'm not so sure...

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I got a response on "Goat Shit". Apparently the reader hated it with a passion. This is what he wrote:

"This is screamingly awful. The writing is as dull as the content. It’s bird-eye view narrative, meaning it’s not a story taking place, it’s a story being told from such a distance that there’s not a hint of immersion in it. The humor was so dry and nonexistent that it falls into this category of satirical babbling. I haven’t read anything this bad in a long time on Dev Art..."

Now, that was rather insulting. In my author comments I wrote that I found the story was funny, and I invite anyone to join in my fun. He apparently read this first, which shouldn't have been done.

----
So, what do you truly think of my writing? Should it be more emotional and exciting or do you enjoy my stale style of writing? Should I just drop writing and go into acting or music where I belong (both can bore the crap out of me if I'm not into it)?
I asked this awhile ago, and people enjoyed the expressive art. Thus I continued doing so, but right now I'm not so sure...

Are you kidding me? Your writing is great! (By the way... which story was he talking about, link it lol). A lot of my writing is based off of you after I read your things.
1.) it was the right amount of emotion - it lets the reader focus on that, yet there isnt too much that it gets boring
2.) there is humor - not always great cuz it is reading/writing, but you manage to fit some in
3.) and your grammar and literature is also great

Maybe you mess up once, or even a few times, and one person says its bad doesn't mean you just drop it. And with the art and dance stuff, if you can manage time, you could do all 3.

Don't stop writing cause you have talent (and you are 1/4 the thread starter in Writers' Workshop o_O lol j/k, more of the first reason)!

EDIT 1: SNOOTY!

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
It helps to have at least one third party person who believes this man is being snooty. :eek:
The thing was, a female attacked the same story ("Goat Shit"). She failed in the process so because all her reasons were about style, which was correct. You can't have a wrong style, but you can have a bad style, which is opinion. She told me that my style was wrong... so this is when I got this post a few hours later.
Apparently she was mad at (me and) her failed attempt to denounce my writing (she didn't know what a narrative form was until I "reminded" her). Then on her finishing statement she told me that I wasn't funny. I couldn't say she was wrong because it's true. :p
So, the kid went around and just attacked another story that I was meaning to scrap awhile ago... Oh well. No one liked it anyways.
It's funny how he leaves all these gaps as if he was looking for only the bad stories. :rolleyes:

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
here's a few quotes that I think you need ;)

"I discovered that rejections are not altogether a bad thing. They teach a writer to rely on his own judgment and to say in his heart of hearts, "To hell with you."

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. " Euripides

"Our greatest glory consists not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall. "Oliver Goldsmith – Poet

“Some are destined to succeed, some are determined to succeed.”
H. H. Swami Tejomayananda

“I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.”
Abraham Lincoln

“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you.”
Colin Raye

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to charge you because you are a vegetarian."

- Rabbi Harold Kushner.

don't worry Ninva. Your a great writer.

Reaction score
You made this thread because you knew the people here would be (or at least act) reassuring towards you. Is that why you write? Because you want people to think you are a good writer? Criticism is always disheartening, but no great writer would write simply to garner himself approval.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
You made this thread because you knew the people here would be (or at least act) reassuring towards you. Is that why you write? Because you want people to think you are a good writer? Criticism is always disheartening, but no great writer would write simply to garner himself approval.

Let's not be so ignorant or full of ourselves as to predict other people's reasons for doing things and state them as facts :)

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
If you actually believed it to be good then you wouldn't listen to what others say nor consider them.

If you liked your story then thats great, screw him becuase he isn't giving possitive feed back.

If he said:

"I read your story and i have to say. It was rather dull. The narrator felt distance from us along with what happened. He seemed to focus on the bare minimals and the negative aspects of his wife, bypassing anything good about her. There must have been something, else he would have left. I also found the humour to be very dry. The goat analogy I found to be boring. It could have used some more oomph to it. The dash for the punch line was too long, at the end, it should have been maybe a quick sentence and then boom, poison shit. In other words, it was too long to be funny."

Then you should consider some of what he said and think about it next time you get to work on a story.

Reaction score
Let's not be so ignorant or full of ourselves as to predict other people's reasons for doing things and state them as facts :)

It does not strike me as coincidental that most of your posts (especially where you are trying to be insulting or critical) take a very safe "no thought required" approach. This is fine by me, but I am not content to take this thread on face value when the real motive is so much clearer.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Insulting or critical nothing. I'm trying to warn you from getting yourself into trouble by being a dick.

Clearly, you're not taking the hint. That's fine :)

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Ninva, nivia or nivina, hell I never spell it right :p

I enjoyed your story.

I didn't think it was a master piece.

I thought it had substance, a fine sign of progress.

I didn't think it was funny.

I thought it was witty.

In comparision with all the other stories I've read here and other place;

It's easily above average, a mighty fine job indeed. ;)

Overall, i'd have to say that your hate mail was rather "snooty".

(snooty sounds like a flavor of cookie to me.)

Writing is an art, those who are not on par or above your level,

Have no backing to thier claims of reading a bad story.

Tell the author of your silly hate mail, that he "sux @t lyf3" and keep it up.

Try to look like this when you do it, too : :cool:

P.S. : Deviant Art < Industrial Sized Boxes of Poo

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Personally, I only thought the story was alright. I enjoyed it because it's often hard to write a short story that has a proper conclusion, but this one wasn't bad. In fact, I thought it wrapped everything up quite nicely, like some sort of Taco Bell Cheesy 1/2 Pound Burrito or something. The rest of the story, though, was like they put beans in instead of beef without telling me. Yes... that's right...

But the whole story was kind of odd, though told through a perspective that I thought improved the quality of the story. Eh, some people just aren't gonna like some of your works. But the worst story on DeviantArt? He doesn't sound snooty, he sounds like an asshole. So my advice?

Fuck 'im.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
But the whole story was kind of odd, though told through a perspective that I thought improved the quality of the story. Eh, some people just aren't gonna like some of your works. But the worst story on DeviantArt? He doesn't sound snooty, he sounds like an asshole. So my advice?

Fuck 'im.

Now, now, watch your language. Instead, use something maybe like screw or... wtf, what am i saying.

*starts calling him every curseword*

lol :D

like Naruto says, "I'll NEVER give up!"

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
I'm yet to see a work of art which simply everyone likes (or dislikes). If you gather up 100 people to view a painting and tell them to rate it from 1 to 3, there is absolutely no way they'll all rate it the same. Even if most of them give it a 3, there will always be someone who simply doesn't like that style, the colors or something else and he will give it a 1.
Just pointing out. Never expect everyone to like something you make. Never expect everyone to dislike it either. Actually, if you like how it turned out then you really shouldn't care too much about what some random person thinks about it.

Syndrome

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
"She failed in the process so because all her reasons were about style, which was correct. You can't have a wrong style, but you can have a bad style, which is opinion. She told me that my style was wrong..."

Ok, I didn't get that part of your rant lol.

But your absolutely right, everyone's writing style is different. We use words and imagery differently. We all can't think the same way can we? Everyone likes to read different writing styles too.

As for the "Snooty or Right?" guy, here's what I think.

Now, I haven't read this story, [no offense, but the Title turns me away.] But I personally think he's just flaming you like crazy. Why?

First off, any helpful people won't go saying:
"I haven’t read anything this bad in a long time on Dev Art..."
[This ticked me off. A lot.]

Second of all, he fails to give any constructive input. None at all.
All he says is that he thinks you have a terrible sense of humour and its all nonsense. He does not say WHY the humour is bad, or WHY it's all nonsense, he just says it IS.
[This ticked me off even more.]

I had a third point, but I cannot word it correctly right now.

Even if he DIDN'T like your writing style, he does not have to call the "writing as dull as the content".

Even if he DIDN'T like your story, he didn't have to call it "satrical babbling".

In terms of criticism, I've seen alot, trust me. But this crossed the line.

Writers are there to put their imagination in a form that can be shared by all, Not to be torn apart and spat on.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Only problem I have with your writing is how short they are.. :shades:

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
Haha, thanks guys. I've decided that I'm not a complete failure and I've been writing again.
I'm sorry to make this such a big deal, and no I don't do this for my own personal fame... actually, I've always had the idea that I was a failure of a writer, and that's why I've been really working hard (I guess).
One more thing, I told the person who reviewed my stuff that I was going to give up writing. He didn't respond. The reason was because he didn't care. He only wanted a rise from me, and he got it. I'm a fool. :eek:

duyen

Reaction score
Lol, you found your own story was funny?

Honestly, I didn't find it that funny, I found it more serious but anyhow... maybe I'm too young.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.