So... SC2 makes me wonder -.-

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Question, have you seen the gameplay before various patches in Sc1? it wasn't a balanced game, and wasn't what we know of Sc1 today, it was pretty unbalanced, then as more patches came out, the more Starcraft became better and better of a game, and broodwar helped a lot too.
That's true, but Blizzard has gone wrong on a very fundamental level, with everything being on B.net, they're not going to change that in the next 5 years.

So seriously everyone, stop bitching, not one of Blizzards games WASNT successful(PC Games). You can't expect perfection RIGHT when it comes out, its not PERFECT, and this game, as all others WILL be quite successful.
So if a game is successful it has to be good?:rolleyes:
I really dislike wow but it's blizzards most successful game.

I don't care whether the game is successful or not, That doesn't affect me in the slightest way. I do care if the game is bad, that effects me in every way.

kingbdogz

The Edge of Eternity is upon us.
Reaction score
with everything being on B.net, they're not going to change that in the next 5 years.

They've already stated that they are currently fixing the issues addressed on B.net 2.0 and at Blizzcon 09 they said that with each expansion comes new units, new editor features, and for your concern, new features for B.net 2.0. Don't worry so much, it'll be fixed.

NightShade

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Note how I said that I was annoyed at everything being on B.net (no LAN 'n stuff), not with B.net its self. Though I am annoyed with how B.net looks right now, but that will hopefully get fixed.

DKigorDK

Reaction score
i couldent stop thinking why discuss the editor, you do know that when warcraft 3 came out with its editor it sucked, it sucked bigtime, it was first after the frozen throne came that the editor was upgraded to what is it today (roughly)

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
Just because the editor isn't all you wanted it to be doesn't mean that there isn't going to be custom maps, and even plently of good custom maps. People learned to deal with the major drawbacks of wc3 after a while.
No idea how good they are, but - just for reference - over there at http://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/ maps are popping out at a rate of about one every few hours :eek::eek::eek: around the clock, every day, since april

Kildare

Reaction score
Thank IceFrog for it's popularity.

This is slightly off-topic but IceFrog wasn't the one who made DotA. DotA along the years since it was created was passed down to many different authors, namely some famous ones such as Guinsoo and Icefrog. I don't even know who the ORIGINAL author is lol.

As regarding SC2 however, i somewhat agree with some of Lyerae and Co.'s opinions yet disagree with others. I agree that SC2 is SERIOUSLY lacking in many aspects, most of it being in the editor. While it's true that the physics and gameplay of SC2 is far more advanced and impressive than its predecessors, it doesn't mean that its developers should ignore all the "minor" problems and complaints we have against the game. If a game CAN be made better, it SHOULD be made better. Anything else is just a lack of professionalism and plain laziness. There are just TOO MANY small issues with the editor and bnet that it may possibly evolve into a large issue and cause players to lose interest in the game. I don't need to tell you that many potentially epic games lost out in the market because of "minor"(to the devs) issues.

However, despite these drawbacks i still think that SC2 will be popular for a few years, if not many, for the following reasons:
1) Blizzard has too huge of a fanbase to die off so quickly in a matter of 1-2 years.
2) However many problems SC2 has, it IS still far superior than its predecessors.
3) There is still many cool and epic custom games never seen before that can be made DESPITE the many problems we mapmakers face with the editor.
4) New expansions, if done right, CAN serve to prolong the lifespan of a game. Just look at Dawn of War. Note i said "IF" it is done right.

The issue here now is just that i think that the game CAN be made better and last longer IF ONLY Blizzard fixes those things, which Blizzard doesn't SEEM to be acting on it(i just hope its otherwise). Why limit the quality of the game when you possess the ability to make it better? That's what baffles me. One would think that for all the number of years Blizzard made us wait for the game, they would have did it to the best they could, just like with the PREVIOUS games that Blizzard has made. Blizzard's been having a good streak of well-made, top-notch, cutting-edge games. Why stop now?

Doomhammer

Reaction score
While it's true that the physics and gameplay of SC2 is far more advanced and impressive than its predecessors, it doesn't mean that its developers should ignore all the "minor" problems and complaints we have against the game.
Seriously, the physics aren't amazing at all. C'mon, rubble rolling down a ramp, and that's about all the physics there is. Some guys made a physics system for Wc3 using vJass, and it was way ahead of what SC2 offers in that regard. The real brilliance is to be found in the artwork, especially the floor textures all look great, units have more polys, and the custom lighting is now a formidable tool for artists to give a map or scene any mood they want. So these are the great technical pro's in my opinion.
If a game CAN be made better, it SHOULD be made better. Anything else is just a lack of professionalism and plain laziness.
Well, no. There are also economic considerations. If feature XY is not seen as crucial for selling the game, then why waste ressources on it?
The issue here now is just that i think that the game CAN be made better and last longer IF ONLY Blizzard fixes those things, which Blizzard doesn't SEEM to be acting on it(i just hope its otherwise). Why limit the quality of the game when you possess the ability to make it better?
I personally think this is to a large extent due to the new company policy after the merger with Activision and the new common CEO Robert Kotick. He's not a gamers' guy. And he gives a sh** about quality. So now it's only the 'selling arguments' that will see the light of the day. And in some way the 'control arguments', i.e. need for online connection to allow for offline gaming, no LAN, etc.

Kildare

Reaction score
Seriously, the physics aren't amazing at all. C'mon, rubble rolling down a ramp, and that's about all the physics there is. Some guys made a physics system for Wc3 using vJass, and it was way ahead of what SC2 offers in that regard. The real brilliance is to be found in the artwork, especially the floor textures all look great, units have more polys, and the custom lighting is now a formidable tool for artists to give a map or scene any mood they want. So these are the great technical pro's in my opinion.

Well, the fact that whether the physics is "impressive" in itself or not is not the point. What i'm trying to say is SC2 is in fact a huge improvement(despite the "problems) over WCIII and SC1. But even though it's an improvement, they could STILL make it better with their current abilities.

Well, no. There are also economic considerations. If feature XY is not seen as crucial for selling the game, then why waste ressources on it?

Considering the tons of cash that Blizzard is undoubtedly going to make(and have been making) these "minor" issues shouldn't even be a problem cash-wise at all. If fixing these issues will make customers happier, then i doubt i would call them a "waste of resources". They're already breaking Business Ethics #1 - The Customer is Always Right! xD

BANANAMAN

Resident Star Battle Expert.
Reaction score
Blizzard's been having a good streak of well-made, top-notch, cutting-edge games. Why stop now?

Because with the Activision merge Blizzard does not have full control on when they want the game to be released.Activision wants it out and earning money without any care on the quality of the game so Blizzard can't just push back the release date willy nilly.

punwisp

Reaction score
Because with the Activision merge Blizzard does not have full control on when they want the game to be released.Activision wants it out and earning money without any care on the quality of the game so Blizzard can't just push back the release date willy nilly.

Wrong, Blizzard has stated they have full control over there games. However I can see how in the future, activisions Greedy nature can merge over to blizzard. Though I think the merge was more to benefit eachother with sales more than anything, but thats me.

Doomhammer

Reaction score
Considering the tons of cash that Blizzard is undoubtedly going to make(and have been making) these "minor" issues shouldn't even be a problem cash-wise at all. If fixing these issues will make customers happier, then i doubt i would call them a "waste of resources". They're already breaking Business Ethics #1 - The Customer is Always Right! xD
I totally agree. Yet perfectionism could end up desastrous as well, especially when a developer doesn't know where to stop and be satisfied with what has been made. Here's a nice example from Wc3: Most of the extra buildings such as dens, huts and nests have no building animation. Well, wasn't needed for the campaign. But for mappers who just found that building useful if it could be built, it would have been great to find all the assets with complete animations. In the mission pack, the Naga are introduced, you can play with them in a few missions, but they're not really integrated into the game (selectable as a race, full tech tree, complete unit and building lineup, etc.)
Given many of those small and tiny details cost time and money, and to some extent are barely noticed, cutting them down to 'what you see is half you get' can be the most efficient solution. Of course, with chat rooms, LAN support and other mechanics that are expected to come as a matter of course, we're not talking about details in artistic lusciousness anymore.
But these decisions have surely been made for other reasons.

black.sheep

Reaction score
I find that the editor has everything for a newbie mapper to use, once you get over the massive block that is the data editor (Which isn't even that hard)
Also, if your worried about models, look though them. You'll see a shitload of models that haven't been added to the game yet to reduce the beta filesize.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Here is another comfort food favorite - Million Dollar Casserole - https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-million-dollar-casserole.193614/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.