So who's going into Starcraft2 mapping right away?

Will you be moving to Starcraft2 Mapping?

• Total voters

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I am really excited about this C based scripting language SC2 is supposed to have. I'd love to see structs, enums, typedefs and typecasting in SC2. Maybe we'll have a greater level of control over memory management, too?

Maybe we can have mapsizes more than four megs....

I'm thinking that I'll be gone when it's released because that's how my luck seems to go, but then again that depends on if I can get back into the military. But if not, then I will probably say I'm working on stuff just so that the people in my clan leave me alone.

Hopefully it won't end up like STALKER's SDK.

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
No offence to any1 here, but im not really a computer gamer, so i dont think ill want to spend that much on starcraft2. Ill hold out for Halo3 and a new comp.

so um ye, why did u post again?

OnTopic:

Im def gonna stay ill wc3 mapping but use sc2 as well, just to muck around and see what it has to offer that could be more exciting then wc3's editor

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will switch to SC2, letting Wc3 behind.

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Moving right away here

Black Hawk

Reaction score
Sadly, SC2 will most likely lack heroes, and even items (though one could probably code an inventory system by making units considered "items" and using dummy units).

I haven't played SC1 save for the demo - does SC have a lot of abilities? Something tells me SC2 won't have nearly as many abilities as WC3 did, and we will now have to make a lot more JASS spells due to the lack of a wide variety of skills.

Idea: Let's reinvent mazes, survival maps, Uther Party, etc. in Starcraft II! Not only will we be bringing over our favorite games, but the idiots who haven't played WC3 will think they are totally original and love us.:cool:

Ah, what a great Idea.
I CALL ZERG PARTY!!!

C-Death

I love you
Reaction score
Dam you! I wanted zerg party!

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Starcraft II is being made for Direct X 9 or 10? And wasn't this thread started like... a year ago?

Reaction score
Wikipedia said:
StarCraft II will support the DirectX 9 (Pixel Shader 2.0) software and will be fully compatible with DirectX 10 as well, although the development team has not yet decided whether to add exclusive DirectX 10 graphic effects. The Mac client will utilize OpenGL instead. The game will also feature the Havok physics engine, allowing realistic interaction with the environment, such as "debris rolling down a ramp". In addition, there are plans to implement VoIP into the game as well.

Seems so.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
I'll leave or stay depending on what type of exciting genre of games possible over the SC2 editor...

And guess what, I don't know how to program C.. damn it..

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
when i see a release date, or a beta editor, I will think about editing sc2, until then, its all WC3

Doomhammer

Bob Kotick - Gamers' corporate spoilsport No. 1
Reaction score
For my humble part, I've come to the conclusion that Zone Control has been and will be a map type for Starcraft. An advanced version of Zone control ist still being played at the good old Starcraft Battlenet. (Z-Own Control, which I've had a good hand on features and balancing since ver 10.1)
The editing efforts on a Zone Control remake with WE has taught me a lot, even though creating new heroes from scratch is a very tough job - and probably not worth it for the genre I'm talking about.
It will therefore be my mission to transfer the WE / JASS experience made to Sc2 to create THE Starcraft2 Zone Control map out there.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
well im too lazy to read the last 4 pages of post but i heard that the SC2 Editor will be MUCH more simpler than the WCIII one, more of a direct-task triggering instead of coding and stuff. :D

I dunno about changing... i love WCIII... and there's no heroes (not like real heroes as in WC). I'm not one to be easily swayed and ABANDON THE AMAZING WCIII!!!!!!!!!

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
Generally, I don't prefer games with the futuristic 'aura' about them. That is, I don't usually like to make my own versions of them because they're too futuristic. That's one of the reasons that I like WC3 so much; it's set in the past. If SCII came with the option to use some sort of magical terrain or units, I might dive into the map-making area of it. If not, I would probably play it to see how things work, and then dive into the map-making area of it.

CEMEHbl4

Reaction score
Perhaps after looking at the success of the wc3 tft editor they might realize thats the only thing keeping wc3 alive and active.

totally agree<3<3<3

for a corporation which have MILLIARDS of $$$$ its not hard to add a bonus feature in editor named *Hero with INVENTORY* + item class unit

but they wont do it:nuts:

maybe becouse if SC editor will be ideal - they lost costumers on Warcraft 4...

Dakho

()[o__o]()
Reaction score
Here is some info coming from Blizzard's site.

1. Hero's will be available through the object editor, but not available in gameplay.

2. They weren't very clear, but I believe the MPQ will be open to us through the WE.

3. They plan on making many more complex spells, so less has to be done through programming.

Is the Tauren Marine going to be included in the StarCraft II map editor? (battle.net) scorpionbrood

Yes.

5. A more advanced AI is being implemented for use.

6. A new ability system that is apparently far more flexible than before.

CEMEHbl4

Reaction score
COOL

but i need not only:
HERO
EXP
ITEMS
INVENTORY

but also "phoenix fire ability" to be able make some map like battle ships in sc2...

and about inventory someone have an idea how much slots will be? 6 , 9 or 16?:rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.