Some questions on the scripting languages

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Alright, so as the game has been developing, so as the language we use for our maps.

What is vJass now, really? What is it "Based" off of? Is it just some new language that people used to simplify functions already based off in C++ or something like that?

What is cJass? I hear about it, but I have no idea what it really is. Is it just Jass, but in C instead? Is it better to use and requires the knowledge of C?

What language does SC2 use? I hear it uses voids and the such. I heard people say it's like C, but is that what it really is? just a simplified version of C? If cJass is C, then would it be a smart idea to learn how to program C and use cJass for practice for the upcoming SC2?

What is RtC? I hear it allows you to create additional natives. is that all?

To better understand these languages, what do I truly need to learn? I wanted to learn C++, but because people are using some sort of <iostream> instead of <iostream.h>, my books are outdated, and I have no compiler that supports the use of <iostream.h>

I notice people make some pretty awesomely coded stuff, and I look and I can't decide, where did you people learn about this? Obviously you people know the actual programming language otherwise this kindof stuff wouldn't be too possible, or i'd actually be able to read it. Should I grab a book on C? C++? Java?

I know this is coming on a bit at one moment, but these are questions that have been bothering me for a while now.

Rep will be given if truly necessary, I just want to know. I have already posted this in world editor help, but I have taken the advice from someone on the forums and posted this here to help any Jass specific users find this post a little easier.

Sgqvur

FullOfUltimateTruthsAndEt ernalPrinciples, i.e shi
Reaction score

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
vJass - the most powerful WarCraft 3 language. Can only be used with JassNewGen Pack
cJAss - deprecated. Lost its value after the implementation of Zinc and lack of support.
SC2 - Ask on the SC2 forums.
RtC - It's a hack built into JassNewGen Pack, and does not work in multiplayer games.

Personally, I started learning GUI, then JASS, then vJass, then toyed around with Zinc a bit (kind of an incomplete language, to be honest). I recommend doing it the same way. I had no prior language experience outside of barely-comparable HTML/CSS.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
vJass Manual - http://www.wc3c.net/vexorian/jasshelpermanual.html
Alright, that actually helps quite a bit :p didn't know that existed.

Zinc Manual - http://www.wc3c.net/vexorian/zincmanual.html
So ZinC is the language that's like C, but is not C.. I see..

cJass Manual - http://cjass.xgm.ru/manual-en
Alright I get it. That's pretty neat :p Can you use this in addition to vJass, or will it not compile.
As in can I still use libraries and private/public functions with this? If so then my life is complete :p

Awesome C++ site - http://www.learncpp.com/
Well.. I'll get to answering this one later.

Some galaxy script stuff - http://www.sc2mapster.com/api-docs/galaxy-language/
Overall it's like a more difficult cJass?

Nah... Get wc3 + patch 1.21 and go for return bug + gamecache exploits xD (and learn from the ton of maps/spells/stuff out there)
Yeah.. I'm unable to read to the abilities that are past my skill. One cannot learn to read by simply looking at a book and moving his eyes over words with a blank mind.

These links helped a bit actually :p

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Use cJass at your own risk. It's not compatible with many JassHelper features any more, yet it requires JassHelper to compile o_O

It's not compatible with Zinc, for example. The two conflict.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
It's not compatible with Zinc, for example. The two conflict.
But it won't conflict with vJass?

Is Zinc like a better version of cJass and would still be able to use some useful functions? i.e. i++ or while or something different?

I just want to know what I should learn to better understand this programming language and the upcoming Starcraft 2 code.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
Zinc will get you much closer to the feel of mainstream programming, especially due to the use of semicolon and curly-brackets.

cJass does not use semicolons (why is beyond me) and therefore does not deserve the title of a C-style language.

In Zinc, i++ and i-- don't exist. You'd have to do i+=1 or i-=1, or i=i+1 or i=i-1; all of which look retarded.

Some syntax comparisons:

JASS:
function foo takes nothing returns integer
    local integer i = 0
    set i = i + 1
    call BJDebugMsg(&quot;Jass&quot;)
    return i
endfunction

function foo () -&gt; integer {
    integer i = 0;
    i += 1;
    BJDebugMsg(&quot;Zinc&quot;);
    return i;
}

int foo () {
    int i = 0
    i ++
    printf(&quot;cJass&quot;)    // You can&#039;t combine lines in cJass due to no semicolons.
    return i
}

int foo () {
    int i = 0;
    i ++;
    printf(&quot;C-Syntax&quot;);
    return i;
}

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Alright I get it now.

The only issue is that I feel that cJass, although inefficient, might get me a head start on SC2, but I'm in no real hurry.. Although I will dive face first into the programming language of SC2, which is very closely related to C, I'm truly in no real hurry, but I will try out Zinc if that's what you claim is best. Thanks everyone :p

Laiev

Hey Listen!!
Reaction score
@Bribe
woot ;O

now I can see the great difference between all of then ._.'

Jesus4Lyf

Good Idea™
Reaction score
vJass - the most powerful WarCraft 3 language. Can only be used with JassNewGen Pack
This is not in any way true, since Vexorian (the author of JassHelper) himself does not even use Jass NewGen. It is correct to say that the only known compiler for vJass at this time is JassHelper, which Jass NewGen uses. But JassHelper can be used directly... Mentioning NewGen is superfluous.

I am, at this point, a professional Java developer. I learned (essentially) all my programming through studying vJass, and some classes at university helped formalise it. I recommend that you forget about "real programming" and just use vJass. vJass is not "based" on some other language (except JASS itself). It is a language in its own right. Programming concepts learned in vJass can be simply ported to other languages. :)

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
Hmm, Jesus4Lyf, I think you just gave me a bit of motivation there :p
I always thought that people that made this really advanced stuff knew their programming
beforehand, but I guess you guys have just been at it longer than I have :p

Thanks everyone, again.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
I've been coding in JASS since February. There isn't any prior programming experience needed, because I just knew a bit of HTML and worked with WC3's GUI engine since last August.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
February huh?.. well I guess I've been at it longer than you have :p but you seem so much better than me!
I've been coding for.. a year and a half, 2 years maybe? I can teach a person how
to code in the language to make some fairly decent stuff, but unfortunately I have no idea
how to progress any further.

Bribe

vJass errors are legion
Reaction score
I'm sure you haven't been studying it day and night like I have, so I don't blame you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.