Some random thoughts about life

Reaction score
I couldn't keep these... thoughts to myself, and I couldn't tell them to anyone whom I know, as they won't understand me. So, I thought, why not to post these thoughts here, why not to share them with someone whom I will probably never meet, and who will remove the burden from my thoughts.
Just read it.

So here I was, sitting in some fancy restaurant, together with the "elite" of the people, as you can call them - Owners of big companies, politics, magnates... All here to prolong their pitiable existance by breathing the fresh air of Alps and drinking one of the best Wines. I was sitting there together with them silently. Why? Because I noticed one thing. All their bragging about "small gifts" for some "persons" for favours or something like that, how they "jammed a bill through" and so on. And then a thought came.
To whom do I belong? After all, the whole life, everything is split into two sides: the ones that have everything and the ones that don't. And these both sides hate each other - in everyday life, you can hear the whinings and muttering how they get more money, you can see people follow all the moves of the "Elite" with malice, how they blame the top of all their problems. It has some truth. But what is stopping you from becoming one of the "Elite"? Only you, yourself. Your lack of ambitions. Lack of obstinacy, determination, diligence or artfulness. I still rememeber the question my uncle, one of the "Elites" gave me when I was sixteen:
"There are two options: to lower the expenses, or to increase the income. Which one do you choose?"
This question answers it all. It answers, to which side do you belong, where will you go. But now, it does not really matter to me. Why? Because I don't really care. I don't really care about money, which, at the same time it is both, good and evil. It easens the trading, easens the way of changing property, but it also creates greed and envy, it often becomes the purpose of life for many people, as you can get more than your neighbour with more money, you can rise up and become on of the "Elite". Money has never been a problem to me: I had moderate childhood, and didn't really wanted a lot more. Yes, a better bicycle or a computer than your friend has was always a good thing. But not the main purpose for me. Later on, money was easily gained for me: Shares, part time jobs, savings etc. Now, few weeks ago, my unlce invited me to go have vacation with him and group of other people. I had saved enough money to allow myself a small luxury of going to Venice Carnival and then skiing in the Alps, to break out of routine for like.. what, ten days? It was great time, but now, few hours after returning home, I am sitting here, writing these lines. Some inner voice does not leave me. It asks - whom do I belong to? Did I increase the income, or decrease the expenses?
And then, the same voice foully whispers: "And what if it is all just an illusion? What IF the whole world you live in is just an illusion? What if it is sum of your and other people thought's, and in the end, it doesn't mean anything. Do you really need to reach something, do you really can't live without luxury"?
And it can really be true. I mean, prove me it's not true. Our world is built from what we believe in, after all. For example, we eat a lot of food. A small but obsessive thought "I'm going to be fat" comes to our mind. We don't really notice, but it goes to our subconscious, and after some times, it stacks up and becomes really obsesive. Same goes with car accidents, same goes with plane crashes, wars or even global warming. Even further. What IF everything, I mean everything is illusion, for example, we all believe that a rock is hard. but that's just because we believe so. And what if we could believe that it is just as jelly? I mean, believe it, be sure of it. After all, how come those monks that are far from civilization can do things a normal man can't do? Because they are not defiled with the "usual", "rational" convictions. If all of the surrounding people would believe that we can, for example, fly, we probably could. But we *all* will never believe it. Then, of course, we can try to seperate ourselves from the other people, we can try to "override" our ideology, our pre-set beliefs and really fly. But that's a reall hard way. I mean, you will probably never really, fully believe that you will, for example, fly, or that you can breathe soil. There will be always a small thought "It is not possible". We can't overcome our Dogma's.
Then why all these thoughts are bothering me?

Sorry if this does not belong here, I thought it might fit to writers corner more than to the general discussion. And sorry if it is kind of... hard to read. I wrote it all right from my mind.

Halahan

To die will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction score
Interesting, sounds kinda like you hate rich people. But interesting,
Also, though It is altogether possible about the illusion thing, are beliefs that we can't fly are because we learned we couldn't, not because we just all of a sudden believed we couldn't fly.
But ya thats true, goes with the saying 'if you believe in something, anything is possible.'
Maybe I'l do one of these babes

Reaction score
" sounds kinda like you hate rich people"
Actually, I don't. I don't really hate anyone at all, except maybe few specific individuals I know personally and I have reasons to hate them.
For rich people - No bragging, but I can call myself rich enough. Yeah, I don't have my own yaht, villa or personal plane, but theres plenty of time to get it, only if I will ever want to.

"Also, though It is altogether possible about the illusion thing, are beliefs that we can't fly are because we learned we couldn't, not because we just all of a sudden believed we couldn't fly."

Why not?
I mean, someone saw a bird flying and thought - I don't have wings, I wont be able to fly ever. and now we all believe that we can't fly, because, for example, we are too heavy and have no wings. But that could be another illusion of ours. If we truly believed that we are light enough and that we do have wings, maybe they would griow and we could fly. Or if we believed that we can fly without wings and that weight doesn't matter.

After all, more or less, believe that some sort of "Divine Creature" or "God" somehow created our world. What if we ourselves made it, when we had no limitations, no physical body, no needs etc. ?

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
I mean, someone saw a bird flying and thought - I don't have wings, I wont be able to fly ever. and now we all believe that we can't fly, because, for example, we are too heavy and have no wings. But that could be another illusion of ours. If we truly believed that we are light enough and that we do have wings, maybe they would griow and we could fly. Or if we believed that we can fly without wings and that weight doesn't matter.
Hm I heard that before, that's what all those people say who you can scrape off the floor the next morning.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> There are two options: to lower the expenses, or to increase the income. Which one do you choose?

Both.

> when we had no limitations, no physical body, no needs

In that case, we would never have made it.

Reaction score
> There are two options: to lower the expenses, or to increase the income. Which one do you choose?

Both.

> when we had no limitations, no physical body, no needs

In that case, we would never have made it.

I have thought about saying Both too, but it doesn't really fit. Perhaps I did not translate the thought totaly correctly. In reality, it's very un-often to be able to do both. You either count every cent, or you get so money that you don' need to count. There's no golden middle, as it would not be golden.

No needs - I was refering to needs like eating, sleeping, etc etc.

Tell me then, why do we play Computer games? Perhaps we made it so it can be just like a some sort of a game, with rewards and penalities. Who knows, maybe after death we get a nice "Game Over" screen and go free again, with either joining "game" again or doing something else.

Meh. I have problems.

Halahan

Reaction score
You don't have problems your just thinking.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
I have thought about saying Both too, but it doesn't really fit. Perhaps I did not translate the thought totaly correctly. In reality, it's very un-often to be able to do both. You either count every cent, or you get so money that you don' need to count. There's no golden middle, as it would not be golden.

No needs - I was refering to needs like eating, sleeping, etc etc.

Tell me then, why do we play Computer games? Perhaps we made it so it can be just like a some sort of a game, with rewards and penalities. Who knows, maybe after death we get a nice "Game Over" screen and go free again, with either joining "game" again or doing something else.

Meh. I have problems.

Why do we play games? Well - the answer is somewhat simple. For some, especially males, more violent games release a primal bloodlust that's ran through our veins for thousands of years, something we're not really able to get out anymore. It can also be a relief, but mainly, it's what it does to the body. Anything that's considered fun by someone releases a chemical in the brain that is like a pain pill for it, and that chemical can become addicting.

Reaction score
What about the game that stimulates reality? I mean, there's a game with Virtual world, where you do everything you'd do in real life. I mean, why don't you DO it on real life. Why would you play a game that is pretty pointless, as it all can be done in reality?
Is our Life, as a game, too old now? Do we need a game in-game to satisfy ourselves?

And also.
If you had unlimited capabilities, it would be "no fun" after all. An example - Playign warcraft with a hero that does 5000 AOE 5000 damage and has Invulnerability. I think that sort of hero would be pretty boring to play.

Perhaps our whole life is here just to take away the eternity into something. Maybe we are eternal creatures that put ourselves into a cage that's called life where we can reach something, wich in the end produces totaly nothing, just as the Computer Games we use to play.

"Halahan You don't have problems your just thinking."
Before. Yes. But now, when these kind of thoughts come over my head all the time, when I look at something I feel that it is just a menial thing that won't mean anything.. I mean, I have great friends and stuff, but now I prefer to sit alone with my thoughts. Dammit, Yesterday I spent 4 Hours just sitting and thinking until my phone rang. That's not just thinking.

Reaction score
> I prefer to sit alone with my thoughts

Good thinking.
Provided you plan on keeping those great friends and stuff...

That IS the my problem. I'm now passively choosing to "stay alone with my thoughts". And now everyone keep talking that I'm more silent lately... And I am. And I hope sharing some of my ridicilous thoughts *might* help me.

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
What about the game that stimulates reality? I mean, there's a game with Virtual world, where you do everything you'd do in real life. I mean, why don't you DO it on real life. Why would you play a game that is pretty pointless, as it all can be done in reality?
Is our Life, as a game, too old now? Do we need a game in-game to satisfy ourselves?

Well, you don't have to play games. Instead of playing Call of Duty, go join the army, get your arms blown off while you crap yourself, and see how fun it is.

And I don't think you can play as a dead knight who can shoot green things at people in real life.

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Video games are of humanity's capacity to create. We create based upon the environment we find ourselves in, and we always create environments worse off than ourselves, no matter how hard we try. I cannot see how we could have created the world ourselves to lay dormant in it. There is no entertainment in making oneself weaker.

Anyhow, the whole appeal of virtual reality, if you haven't figured it out yet, is the fact that there is a Game Over screen. It's much more appealing than dying and fading out of reality like we do in real life. Of course, we don't fully understand what happens when we die, but the fact that there are constantly impurities in real life shouts the factor that this is not a prefabricated reality for our pleasure. In video games, there are no impurities that aren't intentional. Bugs happen because of our own stupidity and capacity to only create things worse than ourselves. The rest are imposed upon the characters we create. All video games one can master, whilst one cannot hopefully possibly master real life.

I shall always restate my claim that Life is a test, not a game. Why on any logical, mathematical, or scientific basis could you ever claim that Life was a game? Games create pleasure. Life does not. Now I mention I have recently passed my GED and am now capable of heading to college two years earlier. Does this create pleasure? Yes it does, but does it create pleasure in the way games create pleasure? No. In life, one raises himself out of his pit only to fall into another one. Pleasure is released when you're out of the pit, but falling into the pit takes it all away. In a video game, all pits are meant to be climbed out of, while in life we find ourselves incapable of crawling out of some pits. Why is this? Is it to make us stronger? Why not?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
> Life is a test

In that case, you've failed.
You're not open anymore.

Given it isn't over yet, there's still hope though. Try to make something out of it.

Halahan

Reaction score
Three sayings i've always thought work well into life:
1)Fall eight, Get up nine-old Chinese Proverb
2) Sucess is how high you bounce when you hit bottom
3) (quote from Alice in Wonderland, might not be exact:
Alice: Could you point me in the right direction?
Cat: That depends where you want to go.
Alice: I don't really mind...
Cat: Then it doesn't matter which way you go.

Those three I really like, just three good rules and sayings for life

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Staff online

• Ghan
        Administrator - Servers are fun

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.