Something is corrupting the OS

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
I do not believe that the MS updates download of Driver update of DAVIS Semiconductor Inc - Networking update for Cnet card is the problem. I have been playing with this:

sequence of events:
load Win98SE
Nvidia 28.32 drivers
load Creative Sound Blaster live value drivers
load USB printer drivers
Install Diablo, D2, SC, BW, WCBNE, WCIII, DS, EQ (Kunark, Scars, Luclin)
load Adaptec Direc CD and Easy CD creator 4
two unidentifed devices in system properties device manager list
(1) PCI System Management Bus.
(2) PCI Serial Controler.
load USR modem drivers that takes care of 2.
load CNET Ethernet card drivers.
Load Winpoet
I Stil have PCI System Management Bus unknown.
load ASUS 815 Drivers (off asus-cd)
Still have PCI System Management Bus still unknown in devices.
start downloading MS windows updates:
Critical updates ok
Driver update of DAVIS Semiconductor Inc - Networking update for Cnet card has problem with protman.dos file not found i hit cancel but the update shows successful.
I try and install 815 Drivers off Intel site and when computer will not restart when it says it has to restart. missing vnetsupvxd, vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd, and then hung trying to bring up the desktop, no active tasks in task list.

ran Goldmemory and it showed ok.

sequence of events:
load Win98SE
load ASUS 815 Drivers (off asus-cd) (No PCI System Management Bus problem)
Load High speed ATA support off ASUS cd
Nvidia 28.32 drivers
load Sound Blaster live value drivers
load USB printer drivers
load USR modem drivers
load CNET Ethernet card drivers. (no problem)
Load Winpoet
start downloading MS windows updates:
Critical updates go ok
Driver update of DAVIS Semiconductor Inc - Networking update for Cnet card has problem with protman.dos file not found. But system still functions.

sequence of events:
load Win98SE
load ASUS 815 Drivers (asus-cd)
load CNET Ethernet card drivers
Load Winpoet
start downloading MS windows driver update DAVIS Semiconductor Inc - Networking update for Cnet card has problem with protman.dos file not found (system still functioning)

sequence of events:
load Win98SE
load USR modem drivers
load USB printer drivers
Nvidia 28.32 drivers
Install Diablo, D2, SC, BW, WCBNE, WCIII, DS, EQ (Kunark, Scars, Luclin)
load CNET Ethernet card drivers and it has problem with protman.dos file not found.
could not load Winpoet.

sequence of events:
load Win98SE
load USR modem drivers
Nvidia 28.32 drivers
load USB printer drivers
load CNET Ethernet card drivers
start downloading MS windows update
Critical updates load ok
Driver update of DAVIS Semiconductor Inc - Networking update for Cnet card has problem with protman.dos file not found. but system still works.
Loaded DS and EQ(Kunark, Scars, and Luclin)

that is where I am now.

I think that when I get the protman.dos file cannot be found that the next attempt to load the CNET drivers or winPoET drivers causes files to be deleted but never reinstalled via the normal part of the install process thereby corrupting the OS

For the life of me I do not understand why it is looking the the protman.dos file in the first place.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Windows 98SE... Ugh.

Have you tried updating the network card from the company's site instead ?

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
yep that is what crashed the reload the first sequence of events.

I have two computers Dell PIII 866 running 98SE with an intell board and this computer a no name PIII 933 running ME with an ASUS board both computers spec'd out almost the same except a GF2 MX 400 and 256 ECC Rambus memory on the Dell, and a GF4 Ti4400 and 512 133 SDRam on the no name.

I originally tried to install winME but early on during the process i found that I could not load the sound drivers. I never liked they way ME had performed on the noname, low resources (63%) when computer first booted up even with most startup files turned off, I especially hated what happened when playing EQ, there were slight hesitations when running in any zone, so I decided to Load 98SE, and by the way the game no longer paused, I checked it out before the first crash

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Never heard of a CNET network card before... What about the system tools ? It can restore any corrupted file from the CD.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Did that already, and it only found one corrupted setupx.dll file.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Yes the site says I have the latest version of the netowk adapter version 1.49

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Maybe there is a problem with your motherboard. Have you updated the BIOS lately ?

You should also open up the computer and make sure everything is in order.

G

Grimlock

have you tried un-installing the dirvers, shutting down, removing the card, and restarting?

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
I updated the BIOS on the MB last month when I installed the PNY GF4 Ti4400 video card, my current BIOS version is the 1009 which is the latest BIOS for the ASUS CUSL2-C motherboard according to the ASUS site.

Uninstalling the drivers and removing the card does no good as I have no access to the internet and if I reinstall the card after I get the error about protman.DOS not being found, any thing else I do to try and fix the problem with that card just makes things much worse, more and more things not found until I can no longer get to the desktop.

I beleive that the reason things just get worse is that the network card install process removes some drivers, and then since the install was unable to find things after the protman.dos problem the drivers removed are never reinstalled thereby corrupting the operating system.

Well I am going to reinstall the OS one more time and NOT install the device driver that the MS product Update site says I should install.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.