US News SOPA author involved in copyright infringement.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Lamar Smith, author of the Stop Online Piracy Act, has gotten caught up in his own case of copyright infringement.

Jamie Lee Curtis Taete of Vice investigated an archived version of Smith’s official site, texansforlamarsmith.com, using Wayback Machine, a time capsule that captures different variations of websites as far back as 1996. This led to the discovery of an original background image that did not credit its owner, photographer DJ Schulte.

Schulte has stated that the image is a Creative Commons photo usable by anyone so long as they give proper credit. ”My conclusion would be that Lamar Smith’s organization did improperly use my image,” said Schulte. He also gave his stance on SOPA via his Flickr account:

“Unfortunately, our U.S. Congress is trying to take more control of the internet for large media corporations via the SOPA bill than actually protecting the rights of creatives and the work they produce. I have had images used improperly (stolen) by everyone from some guy in Pakistan to the Republican Women’s Club of Missouri to a Chinese firm selling my images in bulk so protection of rights is needed but the SOPA bill is not the answer. This bill is a control grab of the internet for the big entertainment corporations and will hurt an innovative and open internet where new ideas and art are shared and nurtured.”

The irony of this situation is that, if the controversial SOPA bill is passed, Lamar’s site could potentially have action taken against it and Schulte would be free to pursue a lawsuit involving the very author of the bill. SOPA grants the government power to censor and shut down any web site in violation of its strict online piracy rules. This includes countless sites like Tumblr, Flickr, and even Google, which is planning a 12-hour blackout to protest the bill on January 18.

Read more here.

Switch33

Reaction score
images

Good, Good, Yes Yes. . . Come to the dark side.

Just joking, but on a more serious note. . . good ridden that the guy who wrote SOPA was caught this way.

In my opinion the SOPA bill has caused more outrage from people on the internet than any other bill and it's for good reason. The only ones who are supporting SOPA are clearly just the annoying movie producers/big label companies and some unsightly uninformed masses.

Hatebreeder

So many apples
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it any better.

If SOPA really should get through, then people will use the other internets like NIPRNET and SIPRNET and the list goes on.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
This is what you get for proposing something annoying and frustrating at the same time. :)
THAT'S KARMA FOR YOU!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.