US News SOPA Gets Shelved.

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
------------------------------------
The Obama administration said over the weekend that it would not support legislation mandating changes to Internet infrastructure to fight online copyright and trademark infringement.

"Proposed laws must not tamper with the technical architecture of the Internet through manipulation of the Domain Name System (DNS), a foundation of Internet security," the administration said in a statement on Saturday. "Our analysis of the DNS filtering provisions in some proposed legislation suggests that they pose a real risk to cybersecurity and yet leave contraband goods and services accessible online. We must avoid legislation that drives users to dangerous, unreliable DNS servers and puts next-generation security policies, such as the deployment of DNSSEC, at risk."

The announcement follows a whirlwind week in which leaders in the House and Senate, apparently buckling to widespread pressure, announced they would at least temporarily remove DNS-redirecting requirements in the Protect IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House. The White House move likely signals that Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick Leahy (D-Vermont) and House Judiciary Chairman Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas) would not likely re-introduce the Domain Name System redirecting provisions in their bills...

Read more here. (CNN)
------------------------------------

Well, thats good news! Now we just have to hope PIPA wont be shoved under the carpet for a compromise.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
that's good news. I been hearing more and more about this, over the last few 3-5 weeks.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
Sounds to me as if they aren't supporting SOPA for the wrong reasons, though... I fear a new legislation change will arise and pass with similar constitution-busting results

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
That's one for Obama... although that's not saying much.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
I don't see how this means SOPA is shelved. I read the entire article(although not extremely thoroughly) and I can't find any place where it says the bill is not still on the table.

To me it sounds like the white house stated that they wont accept the parts in the bill that is about DNS blocking. This means that they "would at least temporarily remove DNS-redirecting requirements in the Protect IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House."

So they temporarily removed those parts from the bills and "would not likely re-introduce the Domain Name System redirecting provisions in their bills.".

Summary: They temporarily removed the parts in the bill talking about DNS blocking and they are not likely to re-introduce it into their bills.

Sure, that is good but it doesn't fix SOPA. It is still dangerous and bad even without the DNS blocking.

Still, I might be reading this wrong but it seems like SOPA is still alive although slightly modified in a good way.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
I don't see how this means SOPA is shelved. I read the entire article(although not extremely thoroughly) and I can't find any place where it says the bill is not still on the table.

To me it sounds like the white house stated that they wont accept the parts in the bill that is about DNS blocking. This means that they "would at least temporarily remove DNS-redirecting requirements in the Protect IP Act in the Senate and the Stop Online Piracy Act in the House."

So they temporarily removed those parts from the bills and "would not likely re-introduce the Domain Name System redirecting provisions in their bills.".

Summary: They temporarily removed the parts in the bill talking about DNS blocking and they are not likely to re-introduce it into their bills.

Sure, that is good but it doesn't fix SOPA. It is still dangerous and bad even without the DNS blocking.

Still, I might be reading this wrong but it seems like SOPA is still alive although slightly modified in a good way.

Glad someone else besides me realized this lol...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG it is still alive! IT IS STILL ALIVE!
Keep firing guys! Kill it, KILL IT FOR GODS SAKE!

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wish there was more people outside the US could do about this. It affects the rest of the world far more than people realise. :(

dark typer

Reaction score
What were they thinking?

Trying to limit free internet

This is OUR internet

this issue shouldn't only concern Americans but also internet users around the world

The American government is only doing this to hide the events like scamming etc.

I know Its harsh, but its the truth

I raise my middle finger to those who support SOPA
(but if you have good reasons why this should be passed, rebuke me
maybe ill change my mind)

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
I wish there was more people outside the US could do about this. It affects the rest of the world far more than people realise. :(

I wish people outside the US can do something about it.
Not that I don't want to, but
- I'm too young to join in the protest
- I'm living outside the US
That means that I can't do anything to help other than voicing my anger on forums.

Therefore, damn.

Bronxernijn

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So I have a little longer to download all my favorite x-rated videos to my PC, it seems...

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
Both SOPA & PIPA are shelved after Congress climbs down on piracy bills

Pip-and-Sopa-protest-007.jpg

In a dramatic display of the power of online protest, a congressional vote on the anti-piracy bills Pipa and Sopa have been shelved after some of the internet's main players demanded a legislative rethink. Just two days after chunks of the internet went dark in opposition to proposals that critics claim will hamper the flow of online information, Senate majority leader Harry Reid announced the postponement of a planned ballot on Pipa, also known as the Protect IP Act. Lamar Smith, the Republican chairman of the House Judiciary committee, followed suit, saying his panel would delay action on similar legislation called the Stop Online Piracy Act, or Sopa, until there is wider agreement on the legislation.

The decision to postpone the votes was made in light of "recent events", Reid said – taken to be a reference to Wednesday's day of action in which Wikipedia led the way with a 24-hour blackout. "It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products," Smith said in a statement. The online demonstration, which was aimed at Pipa and Sopa led to a drop-off in support for the proposed legislation. During the CNN primary debate in South Carolina on Thursday, the four remaining Republican candidates vying for the White House nod came out against the Sopa.

Read the whole article here!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.