Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Don't Bother / Don't Like It.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More Details.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
C

Chewch

Hey everybody. Glad to finally be back and business I used to be on these forums a couple years back. Anyways, I was looking to put one of my many ideas into physical shape. Its a concept that I have been working with for awhile. In basic terms I was thinking of creating a fast paced war game with an AoS likeness to it.

Key Features:
-Fast paced combat couple hits to kill units. A focus on strategy of combat.

-Heroes remain stronger than units but can't just run into the combat and expect to succeed. Heroes are mere pawns in the big picture.

-Rather than timed spawns it is entirely based on what the player purchases. Rather than individually, battalions of units.

-I was picturing a terrain with possible lanes but more or less a less linear concept.

-Focus on teamwork of different unit types from different players.

Based on this definition and basic concept, would you think it could turn out to be a fun map or perhaps not worth the time investing for the end result? I understand my details are very limited but thats why I would like possible constructive criticisms and what could possibly make this map fun or not to play?

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I would love to see a map that had no real "lanes" and a more realistic environment.

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I like it but there has to be some sort of auto-spawning.

muchalive

Reaction score
I hope the terrain is really not like a walk in the woods like most melee maps.
I would like to see the terrain on this map :D

C

Chewch

Thank you for the feedback guys.

I agree with the terrain really making or breaking the map. And to have the spawns I suppose I would definitely have to have some sort of coherent path for them to follow. So really this map relies entirely on the terrain.

So far I have just created some units for skirmishes to try and perfect some dynamics for the combat. Guess I will have to just sit down and create this terrain. I plan to create a scenario unlike the other battle maps where their is an unnecessary amount of open space.

Thanks again for the feedback and support there.

C

Chewch

Name to be Decided

Overview
Fast paced AoS with heroes that are designed to command custom armies rather than each other, after being
augmented with items.

Heroes
I was thinking around 10 custom heroes. Each team has ageneral, who "owns" the automatic spawns but does not control them. A concept similar to Castle Fight. The purpose of the game is to kill each teams general and main building. Then each team has 5 additional heroes, each player controlled who then control the custom controlled spawns. Like his lieutenants, the general is able to hire custom controlled hirelings. The lieutenants themselves may possibly include some redesigned normal melee heroes but definately several custom ones as well. Items are a significant aspect but not as much as the units you command.

Hero skills will most likely be unit support and unit offense abilities such as auras or bonuses depending on the amount of surrounding allied units. An odd hero countering ability such as a nuke may not always be the best choice.

Units
Units are not hired individually but rather by battalions. For example, a demon hero is able to summon a raiding party of felguards. Later on, depending whether he upgraded to become a seige he may be able to hire a seige group of units that include perhaps 4 felguard and a fel cannon. However, if he specialized in defense, he may be able to hire a defensive group of hefty demons with an increased amount of life. I also figured basic units would have low hitpoints, but the spawning times for automatic spawns would be very fast, for a constant fast paced warfare atmosphere.

Custom hired units will be based on the food your team controls. For example, Team 1 owns a port by the shore. The shore gives them each 1 Food. Each choice of group of units will require 1 Food to hire but this cost will diminish after a certain time. If Team 1 also captures Farmland they then gain an additional Food point. They are then able to hire an additional group of units. So how I envisioned it working, was Player 1 hires a raiding party of felguards which costs 1 Food point. Then after a minute they regain a Food point and are able to hire another felguard. Undecided whether to reduce lag, after a certain amount of time remove the units similar to summons or to
set their life to a low amount to encourage them to enter combat.

Terrain
Undecided between 3 or 5 main lanes for the combat to take place. Sure details include a huge map with several different shortcuts between each lane. Up to 10 areas to capture that will grant the team an amount of Food points from 1 - 3. The value of food will depend on the potential to defend an area. Farmland which can be attacked from just about any angle as it is flat ground with little change in terrain would grant 3 Food point while a mountain pace that can be accessed by possibly 1 or 2 sides may only give 1 Food point.

Each capturable point will have upgrades available to the team such as building defensive towers, passive guard units, offensive auras (slow or damage decrease, or even an increase in building defense / life.

Conclusion
Any tips or constructive criticisms about any of my concepts or overall map design would be appreciated. If anyone has any additional things they think I should add it would be appreciated. Now with more details how do you think
this map could turn out?

Kazuga

Let the game begin...
Reaction score
Like the concept with easy dying easy killing. Also I like that it won't really be fully lanes, I would love to see an AoS which looks like 2 bases with spawning armies that attack each other in more of a real war way then just picking a line and running through it to the enemies base...

Also, please don't use any heroes/abilities from DotA, it should be as far from alike DotA as possible. Reason: DotA is the most popular AoS map and there is no way to make people leave their favorite map or test a new map that is exactly like DotA..

Tell me if you need help with anything.

C

Chewch

Well considering I have never played DotA, I doubt anything will be the same. And I think my concept is different enough and from scratch that it will not be hard to keep it unique.

Coming back to map making I have realized just how long this will take, haha. I might eventually need some assistance with just about any piece of the map. Right now its all up in the air though but I do appreciate and will probably take you up on the offer.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.