Soundtrack, copyright and volume

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
Hi.

1. I've imported music from Final Fantasy VII into my map. I'm pretty sure that this somehow violates some stupid law of copyright. -Is there anything I can do to keep the music in the map? For example stating that the music belongs to Square and was composed by Nobuo Uematsu (among others).
I am ultimately looking to upload the map to battle.net once it's done, and I would very much like to keep the music in it.

2. The music I have uploaded are all very low volume, is it possible to increase the volume inside the game (using data/trigger editor)?
I have noticed an action for setting sound volume to *%, but it doesn't seem to work very well. Besides I believe there's a difference between Sound and Soundtrack (which I am using for my music.)

Thanks in advance.

Jokker

Reaction score
1.I am sorry, but naming the artist is only giving the artist credit. It is still violating copyrights.. (A simple example is YouTube. Many people add somekind of description "I do not own this music. It is made by/belongs to blahblah." They still get banned though)

The only thing to do is to let someone make similiar music for you. In that way you would have basically the same song but from someone who let's you use this music.

2. When you get yourself a song artist you can make the song louder and implement it louder into the game also. This solves your problem. Trust me, it is not hard to get someone to make you music, once the map is popular. You just shout out that you need help, they will get their names in the credits and problem solved : )

I don't want to be mean or anything, just trying to help you out : P

Cheers,
Jokker

Exide

Reaction score
1. What if I upload it anyway? I'm guessing Blizzard will do something about it when/if they find out?

2. I doubt the map will get popular. :p
I tried exporting the file, opening it in audacity, amplify the volume, save it and import it into the game again. It didn't seem to make much difference. Maybe Soundtracks are capped to a certain volume level in-game? Or maybe I didn't amplify it enough?
I'm gonna try to play it as a sound, and see if that works.

Kyuft

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same think about models and textures from other games.
I don't know because I have played a fairly popular Special Ops that had a famous song in it (I think it was Sweet Home Alabama).
-Kyuft:shades:

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
1. You would need to get approval from whomever has rights to the music (most likely the makers of Final Fantasy, not the composer). Once you have permission, you would then be able to have it and display credits to the composer and whoever has rights to it. In some cases, you do not need to get permission because there is a public licence.

Even if you were able to get someone to re-create it, it would be considered plagiarism and still in violation of the copyright.

The rules for this sort of thing is the same for all Intellectual Property.

2. The Soundtrack object type does not have a volume property, but references a Sound object which does. Just edit the Volume (dBFS) property. There is also a volume option in the Sound Assets + property.

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
Assuming you published it on battle.net without permission, I assume it would get taken down(with an email sent to you about the issue) if someone reported it. I'm not sure if you would get banned for it.

Exide

Reaction score
What if I share it on websites such as SC2mapster?

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
What if I share it on websites such as SC2mapster?

For what purpose? Maps have to be published on battle.net for people to play them. The only other way to play a map is to open it and test it. If your map is single player, it might be a solution.

However, I don't know what actions Blizzard or Final Fantasy's owners may take if they find out

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.