Spawning Units WITHOUT Regions

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Okay, so my problem, is that I want to make units spawn based on a town halls location, but, I have a lot of trees, and spots that units can get stuck, So, I ask you Helpers, for a solution, be it as complicated as possible, because I have no idea what I could do. IsTerrainPathable won't work, as theres still spots units can go in, but they can't get out of them. I am spawning one unit every 5 seconds, and They are (I am trying) to spawn them randomly around the location of the units town hall.

B0ndo

Reaction score
Can't you make the building "create" a unit and then change owner of it? Or is that the same? lol

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Can't you make the building "create" a unit and then change owner of it? Or is that the same? lol

I'm thinking of making the unit from one point and ordering it to attack move to a units base, but the problem with that, is what if a hero gets strong enough and takes everyones creeps?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Perhaps it would be simpler to go through the terrain and place pathing blockers in all the crevices so that there are no longer any walkable areas where a unit would be stuck?

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Thats true, but when it creates units, and I've never actually tested it, does it just create the units in a place where it can if the units don't have room? And I guess what I could do, is make it so that the units have a larger collision size...

rexpim

Reaction score
you can premade points in the position of the town wall for example:
Trigger:
  • Set point[1] = ((position of town wall) offset by (-150.00, 150.00))
    • Set point[2] = ((position of town wall) offset by (150.00, -150.00))
    • Set point[3] = ((position of town wall) offset by (150.00, 150.00))
    • Set point[4] = ((position of town wall) offset by (-150.00, -150.00))
    • Unit - Create 1 (MOB) for () at Barrier_Loc[(Random integer number between 1 and 4)] facing Default building facing degrees

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
They choose where to place the town hall, and the thing is that's what i've done, its just that it can bug a lot

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Thats true, but when it creates units, and I've never actually tested it, does it just create the units in a place where it can if the units don't have room?
I'm pretty sure the units get bumped to the nearest pathable position. So, it should solve the problem to make sure there is no walkable, trapped terrain.

(Maybe that's harder than it seems; after all, I'm pretty sure even DotA has trapped areas you can blink into...)

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
Yeah. That's my point, It would be extremely tedious. Is there a way to check if it can move, like, if it can't then blink it towards the targeted point.

EspadaDelRey

Reaction score
Would it be acceptable to treat this as a terrain problem? You could include more unbuildable terrain in order to restrict where the town halls can be built at. At any rate, without seeing your terrain/map, it is hard to understand your dilemma completely.

Darthfett

Aerospace/Cybersecurity Software Engineer
Reaction score
You might be able to make use of the [ljass]IsLocationVisibleToPlayer[/ljass] native, that could prevent most general issues. What sort of things make the map unpathable, but allow you to build near them? Trees? Cliffs? If the trees are indestructible and have gaps, you could use pathing-blockers to fill in the gaps.

keychup

Reaction score
How far from the Town Hall will the units be created?
Idea off the top of my head...create unit near the Town Hall (around 100 to 150 distance away) and make them move to a random point around the town hall.

An alternative choice,
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Time - Timer_TrainInterval expires
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set General_UnitGroup = (Units of type Unittype_TownHall)
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in General_UnitGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set General_PointX = ((Position of (Picked unit)) offset by 256.00 towards (Random angle) degrees)
          • Unit - Create 1 Footman for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at General_PointX facing Default building facing degrees
      • Countdown Timer - Start Timer_TrainInterval as a One-shot timer that will expire in 5.00 seconds

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
The problem with that, is that I want them to seem like they're under attack, not just units flying in.
On the other hand, I could always just use dragons as the creeps.

EspadaDelRey

Reaction score
You're spawning invaders, then. Perhaps you should encourage the players to build near gold mines by making gold a necessary resource. Then, you can make your own spawning areas near each gold mine.

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
I am spawning units that are owned by player 11, and are to attack each players town hall (My map, The Witch Doctors Revenge)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.