Spell Contest #4 | Theme: Physical Abilities | Deadline: 18th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
SpellContest4.png

Introduction:
It's been a while since I've hosted a contest, and it's been a while since the last spell contest was hosted; so this contest marks both the return of my contests, and the return of spell contests. Remember that even if you don't think you have a chance of winning, I'll be reviewing every spell in a lot of detail, so you'll most certainly learn something in regards to coding!​

The Theme:
Inspired by the members of this forum, the theme for this contest is Physical Abilities. Basically anything that doesn't involve common magic (fire, lightning, nature, etc) is allowed. Slashing spells, slams, punches, shields, bleeding, throwing weapons, and jumping are all fine. Use your imagination. Weapons are allowed if they require some sort of physical strength to use (such as swords, bows, etc).​

How to Join:
Simply post your submission in the Submissions Thread.
Remember you can edit your submission any number of times before the due date.​

The Rules:
  • Your spell must be created solely for this contest.
  • Imports are allowed (a change from last time).
  • All systems and snippets are allowed (a change from last time).
  • Your spell must be actively cast (no auras, passives or autocasts).
  • The spell must be triggered. Using just the Object Editor is disallowed.
  • GUI, JASS, vJASS and ZINC are allowed.
  • All spells must be able to be opened in Newgen without any extra mods.
  • No hybrid code. No converted GUI. Pseudo locals are allowed.
  • The submitted map must be a demo map for the spell. Don't submit spellpacks or ORPGs with the submission in them.
  • One submission per member; One member per submission.

The Grading:
The grading will be done solely by me, using the following criteria. Note that each category includes, but isn't limited to the bullet-points underneath it.
  • Code - 20 Points
    • Is it MUI or MPI?
    • Does it leak?
    • Can it be easily configured? (Damage, effect, etc)
    • Is it efficient?
  • Eye-Candy - 20 Points
    • Does it look good?
    • Are there enough effects?
    • Do the effects not melt my eyeballs? (Is it overdone?)
    • Are the effects appropriate, or are random effects just played randomly?
  • Theme - 10 Points
    • Does the spell go well with the theme?
    • If so, how well?
  • Other - 10 Points
    • Does it amaze me when I use it?
    • Is it original?

Total: - 60 Points

The Rewards:
Reputation will be rewarded to the top three placed contestants.
  1. 35 rep
  2. 25 rep
  3. 15 rep

Due Date:
Friday 18th March Midnight (GMT)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Reaction score
Hmm.. What are the rewards? I might try to join this as well..

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I knew I forgot something. Fixed that now.
Good luck!

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Is using magic with a physical strike allowed? For example, skills like Fire Punch.

And what does "No hybrid code. No converted GUI. Pseudo locals are allowed" mean?

Jedi

Reaction score
Umm we are just creating one spell right ? :p

Also, about coding.If a spell coded with normal jass(hashtables - timer things) will it lose point from efficiency?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Is using magic with a physical strike allowed? For example, skills like Fire Punch.
If the appearance of the fire can be explained without using magic, then yes. Otherwise, no.

> And what does "No hybrid code. No converted GUI. Pseudo locals are allowed" mean?
Nothing like this. No making the spell in GUI, then converting it to JASS (because converted code is horrible), and using locals in GUI though the use of custom scripts is allowed.

> Umm we are just creating one spell right ?
Right.

> Also, about coding.If a spell coded with normal jass(hashtables - timer things) will it lose point from efficiency?
What is normal JASS, and how is it different from abnormal JASS?
I won't penalize you for what method of attachment you decide to use. Hashtables, T32, TimerUtils (amongst others) are all fine. If the implementation or usage of those systems could be better though, points will be deducted.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
damn
I've been waiting desperately for the contest and now I'm out of ideas xd

oh well, 3 weeks is a long time I guess

(thanks for using my suggestion :D)

EDIT:
icon3.png

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
are we allowed to have only 1 spell, but with different effects/phases that depends on the player?
example: i use a weak skill 1, skill 1 gets replaced with a moderate skill 2 thats stronger and "comboes" with skill 1, etc...

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I've just finished my submission, will be adding some final explanations to the triggers and upload it.

i got a very interesting concept.
one question though to the rule that there should be no object editor data used, effects like stun, attack speed bonuses, all that kinds of stuff are allowed to be used by dummy units or similar things right?
or are we limited to make everything based on a channel type ability combined with triggers?

and a skill does count as a "physical" skill as long as we make some background story behind it labeling it as physical? (typical example: a shadow step like, instant move ability, no men could move that fast without magic in reality but with a nice little background story it counts as physical right? like being used by some uber assassin?)

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
and a skill does count as a "physical" skill as long as we make some background story behind it labeling it as physical? (typical example: a shadow step like, instant move ability, no men could move that fast without magic in reality but with a nice little background story it counts as physical right? like being used by some uber assassin?)

This, the bottom question, I'm currently working on my submission :)

EDIT: Also, what if a submission requires a system? Like I made a souls system, and what if a spell I made required that? It's a spell, based on a system.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
I just wasted 6 hours of my life ..
been attempting to make this spell I had in mind, and it turned out I was too ambitious about it
the code turned into complete mess, it had bunch of bugs and therefore I've lost motivation

I'll probably think of something else next week, cause right now I'm exhausted xd

good luck to everyone and may you not get into same problems like me :p

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> are we allowed to have only 1 spell, but with different effects/phases that depends on the player?
Yes. If a 'random effect' or something similar is part of the spell, then it's fine.

> one question though to the rule that there should be no object editor data used, effects like stun, attack speed bonuses, all that kinds of stuff are allowed to be used by dummy units or similar things right?
I think you're misunderstanding the rule. It's simply there to ensure that nobody enters with a spell that isn't triggered. Using the object editor is fine, as long as you also use triggers.

> and a skill does count as a "physical" skill as long as we make some background story behind it labeling it as physical?
Yes. Blink because the caster transforms into lightning and zaps his way around isn't allowed. Blink because the caster overdoses on red bull and moves faster than the eye can see is allowed.

> Also, what if a submission requires a system? Like I made a souls system, and what if a spell I made required that? It's a spell, based on a system.
All systems are allowed. Why would this be a problem? :p

> the code turned into complete mess, it had bunch of bugs and therefore I've lost motivation
At least you know how not to do the spell, and have a general idea of how each component of it should be coded. Try giving that spell another try, from scratch. You'll find that you'll end up with a much better result. :)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
D'oh, physical. At least, now I know that the theme is broader than "punching". :p

Basically anything that doesn't involve common magic (fire, lightning, nature, etc) is allowed.
But a flamethrower, a tesla coil, or a pseudo-supernatural skill like "summons a bear because the caster knows how to communicate with bears" is OK, right?

What about supernatural technology like force fields and defensive shields and energy beams, or unreal physics like alchemy, or impossibly fast-growing seeds that turn into entangling roots or treants?

Your spell must be created solely for this contest.
I'd like clarification. The spirit of this is to not submit a premade spell, or one intended for a concurrent contest, right? What if the spell is intended to be used in a project but not yet made and fits the theme?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> But a flamethrower, a tesla coil, or a pseudo-supernatural skill like "summons a bear because the caster knows how to communicate with bears" is OK, right?
No.

> What about supernatural technology like force fields and defensive shields and energy beams, or unreal physics like alchemy, or impossibly fast-growing seeds that turn into entangling roots or treants?
No.

> I'd like clarification. The spirit of this is to not submit a premade spell, or one intended for a concurrent contest, right? What if the spell is intended to be used in a project but not yet made and fits the theme?
Yes. You're free to use your spell after this contest in whatever way you wish; I don't need to know what your plans for the future are. ;)

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Then, I'm befuddled. I guess all I can do is limit my scope further (gotta discard that one idea I had) and hope for the best, because that doesn't make sense to me.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
why would a flamethrower or the communication with bears be magical? or at least not physical?

and do we get some kind of confirmation whether our submission fits the rules / theme or not? i am curious whether my skill is counted as physical now.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
A. I'd like to ask something, A dragon has the ability to breathe fire, it's physical right, since the dragon only uses his own body to produce the flames, right?

B. How about a footman using his weapon to burn his enemies, like a flamethrower? Is that considered physical even if the weapon isn't part of his body?

If my question A is right, then I'd go with the definition that all physical abilites must be producable using one's own biological faculties.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
If my question A is right, then I'd go with the definition that all physical abilites must be producable using one's own biological faculties.

If that's true, could someone make the argument that a spellcaster uses his own psychic/biological faculties to cast magic spells?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Then a dragon could be considered a "magical" creature. But I guess the footman using a flamethrower shouldn't be magical, though.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
how about rock type casts? i have an idea for an awesome spell but it uses "earth magic" i guess u could call it

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.