Spell Contest #4 | Theme: Physical Abilities | Deadline: 18th March

Status
Not open for further replies.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
psychic isn't physical, it's mental, but then again the mind is a muscle right? Also, the dragon being a magical entity isn't going to be the basis for classifying the ability, since the dragon uses it's organs to produce the flames and it's lungs to breathe it out, and not recite an encantation. A footman using a flamethrower, in my opinion, is also not using his physical abilities, since the flamethrower isn't part of the his body.

I'll just play safe and just try making a punching/kicking/slamming ability.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I hope missiles or rockets are considered physical? =)
[del]Yes, pretty sure; "throwing weapons" and "explosives" are explicitly listed as OK.[/del]
See Romek's new post.

chobibo

Level 1 Crypt Lord
Reaction score
Now I know, I stand corrected.

Same with the throwing weapons and stuff, I forgot all about that part, so maybe flamethrower equipped footmen could be valid lol.

Good luck to everyone who decides to join. :D

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Then, I'm befuddled. I guess all I can do is limit my scope further (gotta discard that one idea I had) and hope for the best, because that doesn't make sense to me.
I thought your post was sarcastic... How on earth are seeds that rapidly grow considered to be a physical spell rather than nature magic?

> why would a flamethrower or the communication with bears be magical? or at least not physical?
> How about a footman using his weapon to burn his enemies, like a flamethrower? Is that considered physical even if the weapon isn't part of his body.
I assumed the flamethrower was some sort of fire-breathing spell or something. Even so, flamethrowers to fire are like magic wands to big lightning storms; although it's a weapon, it's not a physical attack of any sort. Weapons that require some physical strength beyond pulling a trigger would be more suited to this contest. Arrows, throwing axes (or anything that's thrown), etc.
I'm failing to see how summoning any sort of creature to the field can be physical. The bear could do something physical. In which case, make your hero the bear.

> and do we get some kind of confirmation whether our submission fits the rules / theme or not? i am curious whether my skill is counted as physical now.
Sure. Post here or PM me, and I'll reply ASAP.

> I'd like to ask something, A dragon has the ability to breathe fire, it's physical right, since the dragon only uses his own body to produce the flames, right?
> If that's true, could someone make the argument that a spellcaster uses his own psychic/biological faculties to cast magic spells?
This. If you'd like to use a dragon, then physical would be the dragon slamming the ground, or picking up a unit and throwing it or something.

> how about rock type casts? i have an idea for an awesome spell but it uses "earth magic" i guess u could call it
That depends on the spell. Random rocks falling out of the sky doesn't fit the theme. Lifting a rock and throwing it up, or punching mountains is fine.

> psychic isn't physical, it's mental, but then again the mind is a muscle right?
You're trying to make this far more complicated than it's meant to be.

> I hope missiles or rockets are considered physical? =)
If it's a rocket-launcher or something, then no. If the caster throws the rocket (wut?) or something, then yes.

Hopefully this clears some issues up about the theme. I think I answered the controversial part with "Weapons that require some physical strength beyond pulling a trigger" are allowed. Pulling a trigger, waving a wand, clicking your fingers, etc. and watching forests burn, isn't physical. Swords, fists, axes and shields are all fine. Also remember that the spell doesn't necessarily need to do damage. I shouldn't have put 'explosives' under the examples of what's allowed, I apologize for that.

Reaction score
Hello =] First time I've been back in awhile. Coding vJass is not like riding a bicycle. You do forget... But anyway, I need a clarification. Can the hero call help from "allies" in conjunction with his spell? Like, orc hero calls wyverns to drop nets on enemies so he can pinpoint his target? You don't see the wyverns, you just see the net.

And no, this isnt a spoiler because although the concept is very similar its not what im actually doing =]

EDIT:
None of the "extra units" or hero does anything that could be considered magical.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
I thought your post was sarcastic... How on earth are seeds that rapidly grow considered to be a physical spell rather than nature magic?
It wasn't sarcastic, I was genuinely asking - and, because it's just a property of the plant rather than some enchantment. It's a fantasy setting; stuff like that is plausible without magic.

although it's a weapon, it's not a physical attack of any sort. Weapons that require some physical strength beyond pulling a trigger would be more suited to this contest. Arrows, throwing axes (or anything that's thrown), etc.
Ah, so more "effortfully physical" than just "physical". "Physical" on its own would easily include any non-magically-enhanced material interaction, like Cluster Rockets.

What about laying an oil slick, with the possibility of igniting it?

I'm failing to see how summoning any sort of creature to the field can be physical. The bear could do something physical. In which case, make your hero the bear.
I'd hoped to make a spell which attracted a Sarlacc-like creature to physically claw at the enemy, but that would fall simply under "physical" rather than "effortful"...[del]and no, I wouldn't make the hero a Sarlacc[/del] maybe I will! ;)

Can the hero call help from "allies" in conjunction with his spell? Like, orc hero calls wyverns to drop nets on enemies so he can pinpoint his target?
That sounds fine to me only if the hero is also contributing to the effort. According to Romek's post, it wouldn't be acceptable if the hero does nothing but call for the allies.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
It's a fantasy setting; stuff like that is plausible without magic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Romek's point in this instance (pertaining to rapidly growing seeds or other bizarre phenomena) is that the fact that it is a fantasy setting would define the ability as magical, hence, not allowed. Same thing for fire-breathing Dragons.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
> and do we get some kind of confirmation whether our submission fits the rules / theme or not? i am curious whether my skill is counted as physical now.
Sure. Post here or PM me, and I'll reply ASAP.

I already submitted my entry in the submission thread. the split-image slice.
i wanna know whether you consider it a physical spell, its not magic in my opinion but that kind of super assassin special skills.
you know like throwing a shurican over 500 meters hitting a flying bird right into the eye and such stuff real people couldnt do.

i have another question, i cannot get my skill to be preloaded properly, dont know why, can i ask in the forums why or will i be disqualified then?

@HydraRancher:
i am sorry but i think that your skills will be disqualified, as romek said things like flamethrowers are not allowed, i believe mines behave equal.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
I didn't think so. I might modify it a bit though so maybe you throw the mine. Wonder if that'll qualify. Or something else.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Can the hero call help from "allies" in conjunction with his spell? Like, orc hero calls wyverns to drop nets on enemies so he can pinpoint his target? You don't see the wyverns, you just see the net.
> That sounds fine to me only if the hero is also contributing to the effort. According to Romek's post, it wouldn't be acceptable if the hero does nothing but call for the allies.
This. Welcome back to Thehelper!

> Ah, so more "effortfully physical" than just "physical". "Physical" on its own would easily include any non-magically-enhanced material interaction, like Cluster Rockets.
'Physical' seems to mean different things to other people. Yes, I mean physical with some sort of effort being put into it. If I wanted this to include everything non-magical, I'd have made the theme 'Non-Magical'.

> What about laying an oil slick, with the possibility of igniting it?
I guess that would be borderline fine. :p

> I'd hoped to make a spell which attracted a Sarlacc-like creature to physically claw at the enemy, but that would fall simply under "physical" rather than "effortful"...and no, I wouldn't make the hero a Sarlacc maybe I will!
:)

> the fact that it is a fantasy setting would define the ability as magical, hence, not allowed. Same thing for fire-breathing Dragons.
More or less, yes. Thanks for answering. :)

> i wanna know whether you consider it a physical spell, its not magic in my opinion but that kind of super assassin special skills.
Yes, it's fine.

> i have another question, i cannot get my skill to be preloaded properly, dont know why, can i ask in the forums why or will i be disqualified then?
That's fine. You won't be disqualified for asking for help relating to your spell (just don't ask someone else to make it for you).

> i am sorry but i think that your skills will be disqualified, as romek said things like flamethrowers are not allowed, i believe mines behave equal.
This.

> I didn't think so. I might modify it a bit though so maybe you throw the mine. Wonder if that'll qualify. Or something else
This is becoming ridiculous. Though I explicitly mentioned that throwing explosives is fine, so that'd be fine.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
> I didn't think so. I might modify it a bit though so maybe you throw the mine. Wonder if that'll qualify. Or something else
This is becoming ridiculous. Though I explicitly mentioned that throwing explosives is fine, so that'd be fine.

Though there is the slight issue that a vulture is a bike.

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have a question about the grading (not that I can be aiming for any top grading with my mapping skills :p)

Does MPI works just as well as MUI, or does MUI give a higher grading for code efficiency? As this is a hero ability, I guess in most maps MPI would work just as fine :eek:

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> Does MPI works just as well as MUI, or does MUI give a higher grading for code efficiency? As this is a hero ability, I guess in most maps MPI would work just as fine
You will get a higher score for MUI than MPI. There are times when a single player will have more than one instance of a spell required. Mind controlling other heroes, double-cast effects, instant cooldown, etc (though I guess 'most' covers that). MUI is better anyway. ;)

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
just like the good old days - except I don't have to be the one slaving away grading all the submissions

wish the theme were a bit more narrow however, almost like walking into a department store and saying "Pick a shirt", w/o knowing who you are buying for - just a bit overwhelming with respect for the possibilities

NeuroToxin

Reaction score
just like the good old days - except I don't have to be the one slaving away grading all the submissions

wish the theme were a bit more narrow however, almost like walking into a department store and saying "Pick a shirt", w/o knowing who you are buying for - just a bit overwhelming with respect for the possibilities

Aww sh*t, good game guys, emjlr3 is doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.