SPELL CONTEST | theme: Hell | 29.06.08 - 13.07.08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
After some ten days, over 40 submissions later - here are the results!

It was a very close battle, but MoonSlinger snatched the victory with just only a single point!

Smith_S9 was close behind and jnZ finished 3rd.

I am sorry, but I had to disqualify Exide.

Using a GUI-JASS hybrid was not allowed.

results.jpg

Congratulations to winners and all the other participants!

Attachments

• Coding Commentaries.txt
    14.5 KB · Views: 326

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congratulations to MoonSlinger! As Smith just said, let's hope that another competition comes soon.

XeNiM666

I lurk for pizza
Reaction score
finally! i know the limit of my spell making!!

Congratulations to Moonslinger!!
and all the other contestants!!

vypur85

Hibernate
Reaction score
GG :). Damn it my coding sucks >.<. Now waiting for the Hero Contest#2 result :rolleyes:. Waiting... and wait...

+R to Andrew with fast response in everything :). And also to others who I can possibly spot.

emootootoo

Top Banana
Reaction score
Grats to moonslinger.

Not really sure why I got such a bad score on balance, I put a lot of effort into balancing it for melee. Maybe someone can explain it to me?

Anyway, gj with the contest.

Edit: K thanks for fixing that up, even if I still disagree with the new score, atleast it's a pass :p.

MoonSlinger

I Love using Cheap Tricks... only Results matters
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the congrats...

Guess I was lucky to have thought of a "cute" idea which is easy to balance. :thup:
It helps greatly for "Balance", "Wow-Factor" and "General Feeling" :D
If the contest is based on coding skills and effects arrangement, I don't think I would have won :p

@ Andrew
I always known that Integer A was a call function,
but I never thought making it more code optimal, thanks for the tips :thup:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the contest is based on coding skills and effects arrangement, I don't think I would have won :p

You did get some of the highest points in coding :rolleyes:

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Congratulations to you MoonSlinger, and to everyone else who finished. And a special thanks to whoever summarized all the submissions somewhere on page 20-ish (saved me from going through 23 pages).

Edit: How awesome isn't the top 5?

67, 66, 65, 64 and 63 points.

Trollvottel

never aging title
Reaction score
Congratz to the ones who won.
Seems like my coding wasnt as bad as i thought but the rest was crap x(. Well, there will be a next contest....

Exide

I am amazingly focused right now!
Reaction score
I am sorry, but I had to disqualify Exide.

Using a GUI-JASS hybrid was not allowed.

-I don't get it. There's not GUI-JASS hybrid in my map? :confused:

EDIT:
Unless you consider:
Code:
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Set Hero = Soul Lord 0002 <gen>
        Selection - Select Hero for Player 1 (Red)
        Visibility - Create an initially Enabled visibility modifier for Player 1 (Red) emitting Visibility across (Playable map area)
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: |c00FF8000Commands:...
To be a GUI-JASS hybrid.. Whatever that is?

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
When I signed up to judge, I thought it would be like the poetry contest or terrain contest, not that many people...

I graded on everything besides the coding, and many of you, I was extremely impressed and I play your map for maybe 5 minutes longer; though for some, I ether found, not much differences in the original spell...

Although, I believe I should get a medal for grading all these :rolleyes:

Hoped you enjoy the contest, Congrats to MoonSlinger

Exide

Reaction score
When I signed up to judge, I thought it would be like the poetry contest or terrain contest, not that many people...

I graded on everything besides the coding, and many of you, I was extremely impressed and I play your map for maybe 5 minutes longer; though for some, I ether found, not much differences in the original spell...

Although, I believe I should get a medal for grading all these :rolleyes:

Hoped you enjoy the contest, Congrats to MoonSlinger

I'm sure you did a great job.
However, I'm still surprised about my spell and waiting for an answer on why it was disqualified. So I can't appriciate what you have done, as of now. :p

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Why is the spell in two different triggers?

Because I have two separate effects o_O

1. The spell itself.
2. Hell Fire.

Also, you do a very funny thing, compare if the variable "target" is equal to "null" and if it is, set it to "null", again. Not needed.

o_o That's really strange. It's probably because I coded everything at 2:00 - 3:00 AM (My time) ._.

And I sort of stopped looking through my code about 10% of the way through :p I didn't feel like doublechecking anymore -_-'

On the bright side, I now have more tipzzz from Andrew :O And I have all these resources to look through :O

And a special thanks to whoever summarized all the submissions somewhere on page 20-ish (saved me from going through 23 pages).

That was me. Post #250

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
You don't need to remove the “TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ” function no matter it is a BJ – it keeps your code inlined and in term of speed, it really does not matter because it runs on map initialization.

That coming from a guy who didn't support seeing that BJ in triggers and said he likes to code with no BJ in it :p.

(Usually I don't remove that, but since I remember that quote of yours, I thought you would like it more that way :eek:).

EDIT:
Handle Variables are pretty much obsolete.

I agree, but since I just do spells from time to time and I don't plan on releasing any map, I won't bother to learn to use anything else as it would just waste my time. I'll keep doing it in my old fashioned way. I keep thinking at the first spellmakers. Imagine that they didn't had even this obsolete system and they couldn't transfer information and handles like that :rolleyes:.

AdamGriffith

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
@ Exide

It was probably because your spell was a mix of JASS triggers and GUI triggers... even though the GUI ones were disabled.

Though usually, a GUI-JASS hybrid is something like a GUI trigger with a random line in JASS that is not for removing leaks. Or using local globals or whatever they are called:

JASS:
    local unit udg_Caster = GetTriggerUnit()

Sort of thing.

Exide

Reaction score
@ Exide

It was probably because your spell was a mix of JASS triggers and GUI triggers... even though the GUI ones were disabled.

Though usually, a GUI-JASS hybrid is something like a GUI trigger with a random line in JASS that is not for removing leaks. Or using local globals or whatever they are called:

JASS:
    local unit udg_Caster = GetTriggerUnit()

Sort of thing.

-That's what I thought, too.

So I'm curious why I was disqualified..

EDIT:
The GUI triggers are disabled because in case anyone wanted to know what the triggers looked in GUI, I kept them in the map. -It's not like they're being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.