Spell Contest - Themes

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm planning on hosting a spell contest soon. I've got a few ideas of my own for the theme of it, but I figured I'd ask the community of TheHelper.net for any suggestions, as you always seem to be full ideas. ;)

In the interest of keeping contests fair, I won't say what my idea is, nor will I say if I decide on any theme that has been mentioned in this thread.

So, what theme would you like to see for a spell contest? Why? Feel free to discuss.

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
been w8ing for this a long time :)

physical themed spells

so no casting some magic (fireballs, meteor showers, summonings...), but things like war stomp, dashing, jumping around, earth themed things 'n shit xd
basically anything that would fit a strength hero

EDIT: reason? well I just like spells based on brutality and force xd

Crazy_Dead

Reaction score
Elemantal thingies. Like, frostfireball(DAMN, I SHOULD STOP PLAY WOW SO MUCH -.-)

But the argument is the same, combined elemental spells. Like Earthdecayblast(or somthing even more strange :D)

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Counter Magic is very specific, and a lot of people wouldn't know what to do for a theme like that. Necromancy is similar, though everybody would do the same thing.

I like the physical theme. :)

We've had a spell contest with just about every element as a theme now. I think it's time for something different, though recycling old themes is always an option, considering that a lot of them are years old.

Happy

Reaction score
why not making a contest for all elements. means making a spell containing more than one element...fire,earth,ice or water,wind and maybe light and darkness. and for example the target is to use excactly 3 elements. so the spell would be new and eyecandy would be great ^^

and to make it a bit harder it would be cool if the spells are not allowed to be a simple creates fire, ice and death around you killing everything you get what i mean?

Ryushi

"I will stand, or I will fall. I will not sit."
Reaction score
How about Summoning Spells? Summoning is pretty broad considering it's not limited to summoning creatures, you could be summoning objects, storms, other units, etc.

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Fel/demonic? Utility spells (non-damaging?) Projectile spells? Lightning (I mean WC3 lightning effects, not electric) spells?

I like the physical theme. :)
Nooo, I can never think of any ideas for physical-type spells... :(

What about a theme based on manipulating time/space? COSMOLOGICAL THEME BABY! ;)
Yes! Astral magic. This would be fun. Starfall, Moon[del]fare[/del]fire, Supernova, Astrology, Red/Blueshift, Black Hole, Starmap, etc. etc. etc.

Gotta pay the Moonfare to get on the Moon Train.

Sajin

User title under construction.
Reaction score
Im with anti-magic / counter magic, It requires people to be creative and think how they would like to stop those pesky magic spammers. There is also a ton of inspiration on the web just google it lol

edit:
Scratch that, How about magic that disables or enfeebles a unit, Like making it move slower, health degeneration, if they cast spells deal damage, each time they attack deal damage to them. etc stuff like that :p

edit 2: Or healing magic? :D

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
how about this, you are giving us a bunch of catchwords, like 6 or so, and we have to make a spell which combines at least 4 of them. could be a little tricky though.

or maybe you give a hero which is lacking one spell which got to be designed by us. would be even harder i guess.

i dont know, but i dont like spell contests where you are limited to certain "elements" or "magical schools".

maybe devine magic? given by a god? with a background story involved?

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not too keen on the space/time stuff. It'd be quite broad, and time-based spells tend to be difficult to code in GUI.

> How about Summoning Spells? Summoning is pretty broad considering it's not limited to summoning creatures, you could be summoning objects, storms, other units, etc.
I believe the last spell contest we had was summon themed.

> why not making a contest for all elements. means making a spell containing more than one element.
I like the multiple-element idea. :)

> Fel/demonic? Utility spells (non-damaging?) Projectile spells? Lightning (I mean WC3 lightning effects, not electric) spells?
We've had hell. Utility spells are boring (feel free to convince me otherwise). Projectile spells was one of my ideas ;). Lightning spells will just be huge star-shaped eyecandy stuff - boring.

> Nooo, I can never think of any ideas for physical-type spells...
Oh? You could essentially make the caster a projectile of some sort, and then think projectile spells, if that's easier for you.

> Im with anti-magic / counter magic, It requires people to be creative and think how they would like to stop those pesky magic spammers.
Care to elaborate?

> There is also a ton of inspiration on the web just google it lol
I like discussions. I also like to see the opinions of potential contestants.

> Scratch that, How about magic that disables or enfeebles a unit, Like making it move slower, health degeneration, if they cast spells deal damage, each time they attack deal damage to them. etc stuff like that :p
Some sort of continuous effect/debuff? That's not a bad idea. :)

> Or healing magic?
Perhaps, though healing tends to be relatively boring.

> how about this, you are giving us a bunch of catchwords, like 6 or so, and we have to make a spell which combines at least 4 of them. could be a little tricky thoug
The last spell contest I hosted involved a selection of 4 icons, and the contestants had to make a spell which would go well with one of them. Similar idea.

> or maybe you give a hero which is lacking one spell which got to be designed by us. would be even harder i guess.
That's actually not a bad idea. :)

> maybe devine magic? given by a god? with a background story involved?
See 'healing magic'.

> i dont know, but i dont like spell contests where you are limited to certain "elements" or "magical schools".
Neither do I. :D

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Utility spells are boring (feel free to convince me otherwise).
Check my (slightly neglected) Bittersweet Spell Pack submission, or the Synergy Aura I made on a request, or the shield bubble spell I entered in an SC2-themed spell contest on the Hive Workshop, or consider the channeled, range-limited, caster-damaging version of Mirror Image I'm making for my own project...

> Nooo, I can never think of any ideas for physical-type spells...
Oh? You could essentially make the caster a projectile of some sort, and then think projectile spells, if that's easier for you.
Yes, still all I think of are blink-strikes or dashes or omnislashes or backstabs or bleed effects or DotA ripoffs, all of which are overdone and boring, and "crit (with knockback)" or "bladespin (with knockback)" or "shockwave (with knockback)" and by the way, did I mention that I find "X (with knockback)" to be the least creative and most overused idea? :rolleyes:

Of course, that's just the way my imagination tends, toward magic and away from physical. Don't let me stop you. :p

xkid4ditya

Reaction score
The guys above almost talking about damaging enemy, how about manipulating an enemy?

I hate to say this, But...
14 Februari is Valentine, right? (If im not wrong):p
so, i suggest making LOVE spell contest<3 that manipulating an enemy :D

if U dont like it, just ignore it:D, i dont like such a spell like that either:p

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I say physics. It'll make for interesting spells.

HeX.16

Isn't Trollin You Right Now
Reaction score
Illusion - Charm, conceal, create light, silence, paralyze.

Mysticism - Absorb, reflect, dispel, move objects/units, sense life, bind souls.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Animals - Summon, animal attacks, etc. (Things to do with animals)

Dinowc

don't expect anything, prepare for everything
Reaction score
Yes, still all I think of are blink-strikes or dashes or omnislashes or backstabs or bleed effects or DotA ripoffs, all of which are overdone and boring, and "crit (with knockback)" or "bladespin (with knockback)" or "shockwave (with knockback)" and by the way, did I mention that I find "X (with knockback)" to be the least creative and most overused idea?
physical spells have a wide range of possibilities actually:

-Meat Hook is a physical spell
-mechanic type hero creating (not summoning) a flamethrowing cannon or a tesla coil is physical (like this xd)
-hero that stomps the ground heavily causing earthquakes all around him is a physical spell
-impale is a physical spell if it resembles hero's claws or something (Crypt Lord's one is physical, Lion's (from DotA) is magic)
-hero that calls the aid of a wolf pack or something is physical, hero that summons the wolf pack is magic

I hope coming up with a unique idea is easier now

as the name says, physical spell is anything that's possible in rl (ofc there's no human being able to cause earthquakes, but when something really heavy and fast hits the ground, it does shake)
btw blink or any other type of teleportation is magic

CrazedPyscho

Reaction score
Well frankly i would like to see something more original...

How about power of stacked abilities for a theme?

4 example if two different heroes launch two similar spells at a unit then when the projectiles meet they should prolong the effect inflicted upon the unit.

However, if two different spells with different effects meet then a completely new effect will be inflicted on the unit.

Also consider the size, colour, speed, visual effects of combined projectiles.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.