Spell Interaction

Arcane

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Have you ever really looked at abilities are realized that they only synergize at a very basic level? Like, slowing or stunning an enemy. Or maybe, a spell which increases the damage an enemy takes. Pretty much self explanatory stuff.

But then look at this:

Spell One
Deals X damage to target. The value of X doubles if the target is Bleeding.

Spell Two
Deals Y damage to target and causes a 10 second Bleed.

Yes! With Desert of Exile's condition system it's no longer: stun-lock then own. The abilities actually compliment each other in a slightly more complex but still amazingly simple way. Plus, it's nice and neat. You could never have done this with the normal synergies.

What I’m looking for is some way to achieve (more or less) this effect without having to blatantly copy Dusk’s idea. Before we start, let me state first that classifying all spells in different elements won’t work for my map.

Well, any ideas?

C

Cryo

so basically realism in dmg and pain, good idea, im trying to make a game copcept maybe ill add it to the game.

Arcane

Reaction score
I have no idea what you're talking about.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
So, conditional spells, eh?

There is a game called "Sonny" where you are a zombie. It is just click by click combat like Pokemon or w/e. :nuts: (I can't believe I used that smilie)

Anywho. It has some spells you can cast and it can make you receive more damage etc. if you have a certain buff on that turn. Kind of like that?

I'm not sure if there is a way to "change" it to make it seem more original.

Maybe you can add the actual buffs so that they are bleeding or wounded. :rolleyes:

But that doesn't really change the system and how it works, does it?

Sil3nt

SUP?
Reaction score
Breath of fire + drunken haze =]
I've been working on a hero lately and im maximising the synergy between all the spells, hopefully i wont have to make import instructions for each one or itll be a pain in the ass ><

Arcane

Reaction score
@PurgeandFire: Kind of. What I'm looking for really is a way to make spells more dynamic/synergistic (is that a word?), because spells can only do so much normally. But in Desert of Exile, you can see things like:

Spell 1
Every time this hero is afflicted with a condition, he deals X damage to all units around him.

Spell 2
Pulls all nearby conditions onto this hero for an increased duration.

Y'know? It's a universal system which all heroes/spells can fit into and interact with. It connects everything and gives you much more effect possibilities and synergy with your spells.

@Sil3nt: Yeah, but those are very specific spells, which require specific buffs. That way, I would need different buffs for every single ability that interacts, instead of just the eight (?) that DoE has which apply to every single hero.

I don't know really. I've been struggling whether or not to use Dusk's idea for a while now. The idea seems too good to resist, and I haven't come up with something better, but it won't seem original anymore (both a disappointment to me and any potential players), in fact, some people would even consider it copying. Sure, Dusk wasn't the first one to come up with the idea of a condition system, but, to more or less quote him: "people are vindictive and vicious by nature"... And so here I am, searching for some new idea.

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
Well, if you search for something similar to the condition system you will inevitably end up copying it more or less. =/ And I don't think that neither you, nor the players will be happy with the result.

So I guess you have a lack of ideas because you're too focused on the condition system. Try to get it out of your head and start from scratch. ^^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.