Spell Shield with triggered abilities problem

Zefnar

Hi guys, here I come with a spiky problem..

I got a map where 90% of my spells are triggered. And, due to the gameplay, I can't change that.

I just created an item similar to the Spell block amulet.

Here comes the problem : The amulet blocks the spell, but not the effects contained in the trigger ! I knew it but I thought I could find an answer on those forums. Actually not.

For example :

My Hero got the spell Fire dart. It's based on Storm bolt and just do a mini stun. Here's the trigger :

Trigger:
  • Fire dart
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire dart
    • Actions
      • Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (5.00 x (Real((Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Fire

I just want now to do something like that :

Trigger:
  • Fire dart
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire dart
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ((Target unit of ability being cast) has buff Spell shield ) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Do nothing
        • Else - Actions
          • Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (5.00 x (Real((Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Fire

Unfortunately, there's no buff at all with this item... And I have NO way to detect if the amulet is up or not.

So here's my wish : I want to detect if the amulet is up, andd if yes, counter the triggered effects (Here : damages) while the buff will wipe out the effective spell (Here : Storm bolt).

Please you guys got an idea?

LurkerAspect

Now officially a Super Lurker
Why don't you just make a dummy ability that applies a buff, then use a trigger to check if a unit hit with that spell retains the buff, and then apply the damage?

For example:
Code:
Fire dart
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire dart 
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Target unit of ability being cast) has buff (buff from [COLOR="Red"]Fire Dart[/COLOR] ) Equal to True
            Then - Actions
                Do nothing
            Else - Actions
                Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (5.00 x (Real((Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Fire
That way, if the unit has spell shield, and it blocks the spell, it won't be able to do the damage because no buff would have been applied.

tjordell

Why don't you just make a dummy ability that applies a buff, then use a trigger to check if a unit hit with that spell retains the buff, and then apply the damage?

For example:
Code:
Fire dart
    Events
        Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Fire dart 
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                ((Target unit of ability being cast) has buff (buff from [COLOR="Red"]Fire Dart[/COLOR] ) Equal to True
            Then - Actions
                Do nothing
            Else - Actions
                Unit - Cause (Casting unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing (5.00 x (Real((Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses))))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Fire
That way, if the unit has spell shield, and it blocks the spell, it won't be able to do the damage because no buff would have been applied.
Or, he could use
Trigger:
  • ((Target unit of ability being cast) has item of-Type (Fire Dart) Equal to True

EDIT: And also, try to avoid the action
Trigger:
  • Do nothing
because if you dont have it there, it does nothing anyway. But if you have it there, it takes extra memory. And also, use the Warcraft 3 Trigger Tag around the text instead of JASS tag. It looks like a yellow "a".

Zefnar

First of all, thanks for replies.

I will try with buffs.

Ok & thx for the "Do nothing" tip.

Brb.

PS : I forgot to mention that I'm working ONLY in GUI.

RangerX

I am justice!
when "tjordell" said: {because if you dont have it there, it does nothing anyway. But if you have it there, it takes extra memory. And also, use the Warcraft 3 Trigger Tag around the text instead of JASS tag. It looks like a yellow "a". } he wanted to say that when yo post your trigers use the
option in reply window so your code will have some fancy icons before each line of the trigger that will mimic the look on World editor like this:
Trigger:
  • Summon Ancestral Spirit
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Summon Ancestral Spirit
    • Actions
      • Set TempPoint[1] = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Set TempPoint[2] = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Create 1 Summon Ancestral Spirit SXF for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at TempPoint[2] facing (Angle from TempPoint[2] to TempPoint[1]) degrees
      • Unit - Add a 0.80 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint[2])

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Make sure you keep checking out my news..
    +2
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Man, I made this account 15 years ago? Wild. :)
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Seeing J4L is definitely a blast from the past.
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Oh hey Ghan! Long time. :)
    +1
  • jonas jonas:
    J4L! What has happened in your life
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Hmm, how to summarize... Moved to the USA and got married. Became a professional software engineer and solution lead. Learning Godot for game dev. :)
  • jonas jonas:
    So you are pursuing game dev as a hobby? What industry is your dayjob in?
  • jonas jonas:
    FAANG?
  • Jesus4Lyf Jesus4Lyf:
    Not quite FAANG, less pay for a less hours/stress. Yeah, game dev as a hobby.
  • jonas jonas:
    makes sense. Do we have a hobby game dev subforum to showcase some work?
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    Happy Thursday
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Thursday!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    TGIF!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news
  • Ghan Ghan:
    AMD Ryzen 7000 next week :D
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    noice!
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    "hey tom_mai please do not archive anymore news" ----> Got it. What should we do with the "News Archive" subforum?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I think leave it for real old news that cannot be sorted the reason we had it in the first place was a server issue that we do not have anymore. I don't want to get rid of the archive just not put anything in it for now until we figure it out more
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The side chat has nothing on the discord. it is not possible but the biggest thing on my wish list right now is a sidechat channel on the disord that hooks up to this...
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I've been selected for the Diablo IV beta.
    +1
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Woo!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    that is so cool
  • V-SNES V-SNES:
    Eh just noticed the new discord section on the side. Looks great!
    +1
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    :( feels bad I can't ever get selected for any beta I sign up for. It's annoying as heck.
    +1

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.