Spells - Basics of Trigger Enhancing Spells

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What don't you understand in those sentences ?

ayumilove

Youtube account suspended! youtube.com/ayumilove8
Reaction score
yo daelin

the tutorial is kinda too fast, skipping many parts out and the explanation wasnt there. kinda confusing for me

1st instant spell: shockdestructor

1. why would we need to make a formula to calculate damage in trigger
instead of using the object editor to fill in the damage?

2. for the stormbolt and purge, why do we need to remove the icons since it
will not be displayed. when shock destructor is activated, only the stormbolt
effects happen right?

3. how does this shock desctructor combines with storm bolt and purge?
i dont really get it when you say copy and paste the skills, do we need
to create custom skill and then choose storm bolt and rename it?

4. in order to combine 3 skills into 1, such as chain lightning, storm bolt and
purge into 1, do we need to create 3 dummy units? such as
1 dummy unit for customized chain lightning
1 dummy unit for customized storm bolt
1 dummy unit for customized purge
that makes a total dummy units = 3, or place all the skills into 1 dummy unit?
if place all into 1 dummy unit, the dummy unit have 3 spells to cast, and doesnt
seem like its combine or something.

what does this mean?

-> Make them 3 level abilities, but leave them unit abilities.
-> Change their mana cost to 0/0/0, duration to 3/3/3 (usually a high value so you can assure that the dummy unit is able to cast it only when ordered and not again unwillingly), their duration to how long the spell is supposed to affect the target and you should even change their buffs.

in the red bold words, i dont understand what he saying

what do you mean by high value ? which 1 are you pointing to?
is it for damage? for duration? for mana cost? sorry im confused.

and how does this effect the normal computer to cast it only when ordered
and not again unwillingly? << this is very confusoing, computer just cast
the spell to kill enemy right? what do you mean by unwillingly

daelin said:
Step 3 – Trigger Enchancing the Ability

Probably the hardest step. It may even seem scary, but in truth, it is not. Let’s take the code step by step. We need events, conditions and actions. If you don’t remember how any of these work, please reread the previous chapter, until you fully understand how triggers work. Do not skip those chapter, because they are extremely important to comprehend trigger enchancing. Keep reading and trying to understand them until you are completely sure you know how triggers work.
what is enchancing? i cant find that word in the dictionary ^_^ "
is it warcraft editor term? please someone explain what is enchancing?

daelin said:
Abilities – Normal – It should include only the Locust unit ability. This will make the dummy unselectable, invulnerable and will remove its collision, allowing any unit to pass through it. By this you assure the unit cannot be detected in any way.
by the way, this field, should i add the passive skills? such as the storm bolt
and purge spell for the shock desctructor? if not, where should i place them?
Would it be in Abilities - Default Active Ability? please be specific,

yo guys, i have some problem with the trigger

i have created a new trigger but i dont know how to adjust it.

daelin said:
Shock Destructor
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Shock Destructor
Actions
Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Pos

untitl324edyx7.jpg

in my monitor, this is what i see, how do i put A unit Starts the effect of an ability?

edit: yo guys, i found how to do this already, by clicking the links
the author should provide screenshots in the tutorial to make the learning
progress easier.

by the way, i cant find the option for Unit
that says "A unit". It requires me to select a particular unit. Which dummy
should i use? there are 3 spells, 2 unit spell and 1 is main hero spell.
i have only 2 dummies to select from there, or is it another way?

edited: yo guys, i found the way to get A unit by downloading other people
trigger to see how they do it =.=" >> select Generic Unit Event

yo guys, i have some problem with the trigger

i have created a new trigger but i dont know how to adjust it.

daelin said:
Shock Destructor
Events
Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Shock Destructor
Actions
Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Pos

untitl324edyx7.jpg

in my monitor, this is what i see, how do i put A unit Starts the effect of an ability?

edit: yo guys, i found how to do this already, by clicking the links
the author should provide screenshots in the tutorial to make the learning
progress easier.

by the way, i cant find the option for Unit
that says "A unit". It requires me to select a particular unit. Which dummy
should i use? there are 3 spells, 2 unit spell and 1 is main hero spell.
i have only 2 dummies to select from there, or is it another way?

edited: yo guys, i found the way to get A unit by downloading other people
trigger to see how they do it =.=" >> select Generic Unit Event

could someone upload a tutorial file for shock destructor and essence spell?

so both of these can help guide me, and please dont convert them into text, leave them as it is (the one has icons picture in the trigger editor)

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
Firstly, do not quintuple post. Next time you do so, I am getting you some bad rep. This is obnoxious. Mods get mad for triple post but this...

Ok, about the tutorial, I feel that things are accurate enough. This tutorial is long and walkthrough already. I cannot just give you everything. You just discovered something thousands of other people discovered years ago. And if there is a person allowed to update this tutorial for such stuff, that's strictly the author, which is me. So don't get me wrong, I get your point, it is not the most "step by step" tutorial, but you will never learn something if you do not have to search some things for yourself, explore.

And why would you need three dummy units? You do not read the code at all? Spellmaking is something logical that should not be done mechanically, and instead, you should learn each and every piece of code, not just follow some instructions and voila, you're done.

by the way, this field, should i add the passive skills? such as the storm bolt
and purge spell for the shock desctructor? if not, where should i place them?
Would it be in Abilities - Default Active Ability? please be specific,
I have been extremely specific. If you actually read the triggers, you would've seen that the abilities are dynamically added to the dummy units through coding, depending on what the spell requires. In this case, storm bolt or purge. And storm bolt and purge are definitely not passive skills!!!

what is enchancing?
Might've been trigger enchanching. Consider it "customizing a spell with triggers".

why would we need to make a formula to calculate damage in trigger
instead of using the object editor to fill in the damage?
Because you are inflicting the damage through an action from the trigger, and not through a spell. This can prove useful especially when damage depends on some parameters (such as caster's mana - remember warcraft 2 exorcism?). When "triggering" the damage, you have much more control upon it.

3. how does this shock desctructor combines with storm bolt and purge?
i dont really get it when you say copy and paste the skills, do we need
to create custom skill and then choose storm bolt and rename it?
They don't combine, they are different abilities. You just use additional abilities with dummy units to make some effects look as if your initial ability (which in truth does nothing) does those effects. Consider the classical mass sleep spell, which casts sleep on all the units in an area. How would you simulate the effect of sleep through triggers? Extremely complicated (possible, but very complicated). It's easier to just artificially cast sleep on all those units in the AoE through some invisible units, so that it gives the impression that actually the initial spell had done that.

~Daelin

ayumilove

Reaction score
in my opinion, this tutorial is good but not step by step, skipped out too much parts, most of the things i learnt was downloading other people work and learning from there. the tutorial you made confused people alot.

and the reason why i post many times is to put my points separate and easier to read

and btw, you can save time from repeating yourself, by ordering what to do first
before you go into the comment part, such as extra stuff that a person should
know, get the action done first, then only explain.

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
in my opinion, this tutorial is good but not step by step, skipped out too much parts,
No need to repeat yourself either, I got it the first time.

We have different visions. You don't understand things the best the way I explain them, and sorry for that, but it is very ahrd to please everyone. This is a totally subjective problem. Some people understand better the way I explained things here. I understand your concern, but I'm afraid it won't change a thing.

~Daelin

ayumilove

Reaction score
nvm about whether you dont wanna change or not

because most books i read, has actions first, the right coding then explanation,

not half baked coding displayed first.

this is easier for people to understand.
use the lines to explain the code, save space compare to repeating

edit: daelin, do you have the source code/map for shockdestructor spell?
without the conversion thingy = (text codes)

if you have, please post it here ^^, easier for me to learn

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
what is enchancing?

Might've been trigger enchanching

Actually it is "Enhancing" ;)

Well ayumilove you are the first to not understand this impressive tutorial. Almost everybody here read this tutorial (If they are trigger-enhancing their spells) and it rocks. Dunno what you got wrong but you know... Map-making isn't a step-by-step thing. You need to learn yourself. Tutorials are (and should be) made in a way that you don't finish reading with an already perfect-and-done formulae which would work already without you understanding a damn thing, but instead made so it pushes you in the right direction, with many clues, but without giving the exact answer (or solution).

EDIT:
ayumilove said:
this is easier for people to understand.

Easier for you only...

Heavy-Gear

Reaction score
Brilliant Tutorial. I've been working on a game lately and ran into a huge wall on how to do my comabt etc. and this has really enlightened me ;)

Thanks heaps.

D

D0MinIc

Armageddon

That spell is a great spell and I was thinking about possibly using it, but if one hero used it, then another hero used the same spell, but 3 seconds later, wouldn't the first armageddon stop working because the second one being casted would change all the variables;)

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
The spells that allow two or more units to cast them at the same time without causing any bugs because of the global variables problem are called Multiinstanceable (or MUI). To obtain such spells you will have to use Event-Response Variables (which have their limits) or local variables, which unfortunately for now will be inaccessible to you.

So yeah, I am aware of that & already mentioned it.

~Daelin

D

DragonEchigo

got one question

you referenced TFT at the begginning and ROC what are those?
and where can i find them

yes9111

Reaction score
Question

Logged in just to reply =)

Awesome tutorial but I kinda got stuck on the Barrier ability....
What ability did u base off for the 25% magical resistance?
And I'm trying to add an effect, (like the yellow glowing circle from divine shield) and I tried adding a buff, adding a Art - Target but it still won't work...

Help plz =)

S

Strider1048

For Loops

" Note

Don’t use Integer A/B constant variables for more than one spell. If you do, you might get the same problem you would get with a spell which is cast by more than one unit at the same time, and you have used global variables, but this time for the two spells. "

Could you explain a bit more about this? I'm not quite to sure what you mean by using a/b interger loops in more than one spell.

Personally, I use a/b integer loops in about 10+ spells on my current project and it works fine.

baozilla

Reaction score
(Summoned Unit) – Use it with “An Unit is summoned” event to refer to that unit. If more than one unit is summoned by the spell (such as Seer’s Spirit Wolves), the variable may cause problems.

(Summoned Unit) – Use it with “An Unit is summoned” event to refer to the summoner (the source from which the unit is summoned). Cannot be replaced by (Casting Unit) because the event refers to the fact that an unit has been summoned, not that a spell has been cast.

i think thats a typo.. u might wanna change that.. :shades:

M

Master Mazer

Some questions i wish to ask you are these...

How do i set the formula? I dont understand that well.

How do i get this part of the trigger:

Daelin said:
If (((Target unit of ability being cast) is A structure) Equal to True) then do (Unit - Order (Last created unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast) for (25.00 + (25.00 x (Real((Level of Shock Destructor for (Triggering unit)))))) using attack type Magic and damage type Fire.) else do (Do nothing)

Thank you,
Master Mazer

A

acstcemosqrl

I think this is such a great tutorial. Been looking for something like this for a WHILE. but i do have a question :-/ I'm trying to make an ability that has an AoE of 300 and does initial damage as well as slows the units in that AoE. But when i put the duration of the dummy ability to 0.01 like you said, the animation (disease cloud) goes away. Help, please? thank you!

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Please don't ask these questions in Tutorials. Ask the question in the main World Editor Help forum and link to the tutorial as a reference. Tutorials are not for questions. Thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Varine Varine:
    How can you tell the difference between real traffic and indexing or AI generation bots?
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The bots will show up as users online in the forum software but they do not show up in my stats tracking. I am sure there are bots in the stats but the way alot of the bots treat the site do not show up on the stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I want to build a filtration system for my 3d printer, and that shit is so much more complicated than I thought it would be
  • Varine Varine:
    Apparently ABS emits styrene particulates which can be like .2 micrometers, which idk if the VOC detectors I have can even catch that
  • Varine Varine:
    Anyway I need to get some of those sensors and two air pressure sensors installed before an after the filters, which I need to figure out how to calculate the necessary pressure for and I have yet to find anything that tells me how to actually do that, just the cfm ratings
  • Varine Varine:
    And then I have to set up an arduino board to read those sensors, which I also don't know very much about but I have a whole bunch of crash course things for that
  • Varine Varine:
    These sensors are also a lot more than I thought they would be. Like 5 to 10 each, idk why but I assumed they would be like 2 dollars
  • Varine Varine:
    Another issue I'm learning is that a lot of the air quality sensors don't work at very high ambient temperatures. I'm planning on heating this enclosure to like 60C or so, and that's the upper limit of their functionality
  • Varine Varine:
    Although I don't know if I need to actually actively heat it or just let the plate and hotend bring the ambient temp to whatever it will, but even then I need to figure out an exfiltration for hot air. I think I kind of know what to do but it's still fucking confusing
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Maybe you could find some of that information from AC tech - like how they detect freon and such
  • Varine Varine:
    That's mostly what I've been looking at
  • Varine Varine:
    I don't think I'm dealing with quite the same pressures though, at the very least its a significantly smaller system. For the time being I'm just going to put together a quick scrubby box though and hope it works good enough to not make my house toxic
  • Varine Varine:
    I mean I don't use this enough to pose any significant danger I don't think, but I would still rather not be throwing styrene all over the air
  • The Helper The Helper:
    New dessert added to recipes Southern Pecan Praline Cake https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-southern-pecan-praline-cake.193555/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Another bot invasion 493 members online most of them bots that do not show up on stats
  • Varine Varine:
    I'm looking at a solid 378 guests, but 3 members. Of which two are me and VSNES. The third is unlisted, which makes me think its a ghost.
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Some members choose invisibility mode
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I bitch about Xenforo sometimes but it really is full featured you just have to really know what you are doing to get the most out of it.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    It is just not easy to fix styles and customize but it definitely can be done
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I do know this - xenforo dropped the ball by not keeping the vbulletin reputation comments as a feature. The loss of the Reputation comments data when we switched to Xenforo really was the death knell for the site when it came to all the users that left. I know I missed it so much and I got way less interested in the site when that feature was gone and I run the site.
  • Blackveiled Blackveiled:
    People love rep, lol
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
    The recipe today is Sloppy Joe Casserole - one of my faves LOL https://www.thehelper.net/threads/sloppy-joe-casserole-with-manwich.193585/
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Decided to put up a healthier type recipe to mix it up - Honey Garlic Shrimp Stir-Fry https://www.thehelper.net/threads/recipe-honey-garlic-shrimp-stir-fry.193595/

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.